McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Balalu
Balalu

Re: McLaren MCL36

Car Weight: According to AMuS, Alpha Romeo is on point, McLaren is close.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

Emag
Emag

Balalu wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 12:20
Any particular reason why these cars are suffering to hit the minimum weight target?

With a hollowed out floor and shorter car I thought the cars would be lighter. Instead they are heavier and struggling to stay near the minimum limit.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Emag wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 12:27
Balalu wrote:
Any particular reason why these cars are suffering to hit the minimum weight target?

With a hollowed out floor and shorter car I thought the cars would be lighter. Instead they are heavier and struggling to stay near the minimum limit.
Surely the sides of the tunnel make the area & therefore the weight of the floor bigger?

I think the weight increase (except of bigger wheels) comes from beefed up safety structure rules this year

djos

Not to mention no hydraulic suspension or inerters.
"In downforce we trust"

the EDGE
the EDGE

Balalu wrote:
I would love to know how AMuS think they know this closely guarded information

mclaren111

Emag wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 12:27
Balalu wrote:

FIA:
F1 have introduced a new set of technical regulations in a bid to improve racing and overtaking, but the new rules will also see the weight of the cars increased by 43kg.

Half of the increased weight is due to safety improvements following major crashes in single-seater racing in recent years.
And the bigger Rims, Tyres & Brake Disks...
Last edited by mclaren111 on 01 Mar 2022, 09:22, edited 1 time in total.

Motörhead
Motörhead

the EDGE wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 12:32
Balalu wrote:
Believe me, he has no idea!

the EDGE
the EDGE

The race have a very good article that explains McLaren’s lack of Porpoising, that relies on science rather than wild & unsubstantiated claims of ‘illegal flexing floors’

Basically they are saying McLaren have the strongest floor sealing vortices so don’t have to run the car as close to the ground as others

https://the-race.com/formula-1/gary-and ... orpoising/

Zynerji

the EDGE wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 14:45
The race have a very good article that explains McLaren’s lack of Porpoising, that relies on science rather than wild & unsubstantiated claims of ‘illegal flexing floors’

Basically they are saying McLaren have the strongest floor sealing vortices so don’t have to run the car as close to the ground as others

Moar rake!??! 😂

Macklaren
Macklaren

the EDGE wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 12:32
Balalu wrote:
I think they are just eyeballing wheelbase/car length. Alfa is clearly the shortest car on the grid. Not sure about the Macca

Marc.W

the EDGE wrote:

That's a direct contradiction to what has been reported from the test though, that McLaren have been able to run the lowest of everyone else

the EDGE
the EDGE

Marc.W wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 15:42
the EDGE wrote:

That's a direct contradiction to what has been reported from the test though, that McLaren have been able to run the lowest of everyone else
Well TBH flexing floors doesn’t make sense either, because unless it’s flexing upwards, all it would do is create more downforce sucking the floor closer to the ground and stalling the diffuser, making the problem worst, not better

PhillipM
PhillipM

The race didn't look at the shots and vids of the mclaren sparking the diffuser fences along the ground before writing that drivel then? :lol:

Emag
Emag

PhillipM wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 15:48
The race didn't look at the shots and vids of the mclaren sparking the diffuser fences along the ground before writing that drivel then? :lol:
Do you have any "internal" information regarding this problem? Are the rumors about a possibly illegal floor real?

Motörhead
Motörhead

PhillipM wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 15:48
There's no diffuser fences this year. For any team.....