2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

f1316 wrote:
27 Feb 2022, 21:34
I think, at least from what I understood, there are two different things here:

1. Mclaren having a good solution to the porpoising with the shape and nature of the floor
2. Mclaren supposedly having a floor which deforms and alters the shape of the Venturi tunnels (which would be for ultimate performance)

1 doesn’t necessarily relate to 2 (maybe it does but not clear) and banning 2 - if indeed it is illegal (which, again, may well not be the case - does not necessarily mean they will then suffer from porpoising.
Isn't point 2 illegal? Do you have links?
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

f1316
f1316

mwillems wrote:
27 Feb 2022, 23:48
f1316 wrote:

1. Mclaren having a good solution to the porpoising with the shape and nature of the floor
2. Mclaren supposedly having a floor which deforms and alters the shape of the Venturi tunnels (which would be for ultimate performance)

1 doesn’t necessarily relate to 2 (maybe it does but not clear) and banning 2 - if indeed it is illegal (which, again, may well not be the case - does not necessarily mean they will then suffer from porpoising.
Right, that’s the point, that there is some suggestion/rumour that what they’re doing could be illegal:

Note that I’m not saying this is what they’re doing nor that what they’re doing is illegal. Rather, I noticed that some posts were conflating the two - saying that it would be silly for the FIA to deem McLaren’s floor illegal if it fixes porpoising - when it’s quite possible/probable that these are two separate things.

adrianjordan

Haven't many of the cars had floors deforming at speed? I'm sure I saw a post in one of the threads where a team had added stays to prevent it.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Emag
Emag

Wouldn't we be hearing about this from more official sources if it was actually a significant thing?

None of the bigger portals have reported this yet. Until then, I will consider these nothing but rumors.

Balalu
Balalu

Car Weight: According to AMuS, Alpha Romeo is on point, McLaren is close,

RedBull wants minimum weight increased.

8 out of 10 votes needed for such a change. So, hopefully, at least another team will vote against.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

Marc.W

No way do Alfa vote in favour of a weight increase, Mercedes I don't feel would to spite Red Bull and if McLaren are close they wouldn't either I don't think

bauc

Marc.W wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 12:44
No way do Alfa vote in favour of a weight increase, Mercedes I don't feel would to spite Red Bull and if McLaren are close they wouldn't either I don't think
Weight of the cars is already ridiculous, I hope they wont allow it to go up again. And I don't care if Mclaren or any other team is not yet there, rules are the rules and this is F1, come on, develop some light S@it .. ok? :)
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mwillems

f1316 wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 00:00
mwillems wrote:
27 Feb 2022, 23:48
f1316 wrote:

Right, that’s the point, that there is some suggestion/rumour that what they’re doing could be illegal:

Note that I’m not saying this is what they’re doing nor that what they’re doing is illegal. Rather, I noticed that some posts were conflating the two - saying that it would be silly for the FIA to deem McLaren’s floor illegal if it fixes porpoising - when it’s quite possible/probable that these are two separate things.
It is worth keeping an eye out for. I'm sure we might get more from Bahrain.

Hopefully though this is a red herring, or that the amount of deformation is within tolerances.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

proteus

Marc.W wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 12:44
They might be interested in it if they dont solve problems with their flexing. If they need more meat to solve it, than they could vote for a raise.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

mythr-ran-dire
mythr-ran-dire

In the few days since Barcelona testing concluded, Red Bull has petitioned/complained about no less than 3 issues: to increase minimum weight, to bring back inerters, and apparently they think our floor is illegal/worth looking closely at.

Not to mention Marko accusing the team of doing glory runs when neither car was even in the top 10 of speed traps at any point during testing.

I'm not saying we'll be ahead of Red Bull this year, but clearly they're not liking what they see. I have high hopes for a close battle at the top. With Russell speculating that an active suspension would've helped with porpoising, I feel like both top teams are afraid many others will (or have) closed the gap this year. Ferrari certainly appear to be favorites. I hope we're close behind.

Let's hope that really is the case.
]=Do=>}
~~ ]=Do=>}

Wheel-to-wheel

Macklaren
Macklaren

An Orange and Red front row in Bahrain will certainly be spicy! let us see...

f1316
f1316

It’d be fantastic to see those 4 drivers - in addition to the Mercedes and Red Bull ones - with a car capable of a genuine title challenge. Something like 2010 but with better races (given that year the combination of rock hard Bridgestones, no refuelling and difficulty in overtaking led to few classic races in a fascinatingly close battle).

Nivedanm
Nivedanm

Interesting! I was initially a bit more concerned. But now I am starting to think this "illegal floor" accusation is being fed to media by the Red Bull camp to put additional pressure by means of accusations and media/fia scrutiny to slow them down. McLaren have been cautious and careful in doing anything in the last few years. I hardly believe they will make a mistake as obvious as the 'flexing floor', considering it would be a costly setback when there is a budget cap. Keeping fingers crossed for Bahrain.
mythr-ran-dire wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 19:57
In the few days since Barcelona testing concluded, Red Bull has petitioned/complained about no less than 3 issues: to increase minimum weight, to bring back inerters, and apparently they think our floor is illegal/worth looking closely at.

Not to mention Marko accusing the team of doing glory runs when neither car was even in the top 10 of speed traps at any point during testing.

I'm not saying we'll be ahead of Red Bull this year, but clearly they're not liking what they see. I have high hopes for a close battle at the top. With Russell speculating that an active suspension would've helped with porpoising, I feel like both top teams are afraid many others will (or have) closed the gap this year. Ferrari certainly appear to be favorites. I hope we're close behind.

Let's hope that really is the case.

mclaren111

Macklaren wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 20:30
An Orange and Red front row in Bahrain will certainly be spicy! let us see...

Orange front row all the way... Then the red... :D :D

zxof
zxof

I suppose you know you're in a decent shape when Marko starts talking sh*t about you.