Alpine A522

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
vorticism

Re: Alpine A522

Blackout wrote:
03 Mar 2022, 13:20
I wonder why the ducktape is sucked into the louvers here and in the other pics. Does this mean the internal pressure is lower in that area than the outsise, and that these louvres would sick air instead of expelling it if they were open? is that intentional and made to suck some boundary layer?
https://i.imgur.com/3JLKCUu.png
Might just be from the application of the tape after it was pushed into place by hand. If the louvres were to ingest air, I'd point them the other direction.
𓄀

Mattchu

I`d hazard a guess as it`s most likely the heat and downword pressure of the air over the sidepod that has made the duct tape malliable and thus it has formed into the slots.

I`m sure Alpine will have some solid pieces they will use (attach from the inside) in the future. Maybe they didn`t want to risk taping from the inside (like Ferrari) incase a bit got loose and stuck somewhere it shouldn`t!

diffuser

Blackout wrote:
I wonder why the ducktape is sucked into the louvers here and in the other pics. Does this mean the internal pressure is lower in that area than the outsise, and that these louvres would sick air instead of expelling it if they were open? is that intentional and made to suck some boundary layer?
Maybe it's sealed below the louvers, they just didn't have the non louvered cover ready ? In other words it's a two layer cover, they had the bottom piece ready but not the non lovered top piece ?

cramr
cramr

Blackout wrote:
No, no way external pressure is higher.
diffuser wrote:
03 Mar 2022, 16:58

Maybe it's sealed below the louvers, they just didn't have the non louvered cover ready ? In other words it's a two layer cover, they had the bottom piece ready but not the non lovered top piece ?
That could be, They probably have tape in both sides since having it only on the outside could open due to high internal pressure.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Or it's just stretchy helicopter tape and the tension when applying it pulled it in to the gaps like normal. :wink:

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

To me it just looks like aluminum tape, which has had a layer of "livery blue" wrap applied on top of it.

diffuser

After looking at these 2 pictures. I think it is just the way it was taped. Someone mentioned that it was probably taped on both sides. That's how it looked when they taped it.

It's Just Blackout getting a Giggle and sending us on a wild goose chase.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
04 Mar 2022, 20:38
After looking at these 2 pictures. I think it is just the way it was taped. Someone mentioned that it was probably taped on both sides. That's how it looked when they taped it.

It's Just Blackout getting a Giggle and sending us on a wild goose chase.

https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... ern-1.webp
that's a very nice kiel rake (or maybe those are pitots, hard to see) . Also the rear wing DRS actuator is very neatly blended into the pillar. Too bad it didn't work at all.

Nanosapien
Nanosapien

I think its smart not to go too radical. since the FIA and FOM would reverse any development a team had if it gave them significant advantage. so if the car is vanilla but is quick and has a slight advantage over rivals. it would be hard for FIA and FOM to tell the team what to change on the car.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Does anyone know the purpose of the single slot just behind the sidepod inlet on the top surface?

vorticism

Inlet pressure bleed?
𓄀

bosyber
bosyber

vorticism wrote:
06 Mar 2022, 19:22
Inlet pressure bleed?
Was a time (2012, 13 timeframe?) that a lot of cars had that sort of thing, might have been started by McLaren at then, pressure bleed I think indeed.

vorticism

bosyber wrote:
06 Mar 2022, 19:24
Was a time (2012, 13 timeframe?) that a lot of cars had that sort of thing, might have been started by McLaren at then, pressure bleed I think indeed.
Good call. MP4-27:

𓄀

diffuser

From this Picture ...

We can see that the rad is, more or less, where I drew the retangular box on the right. The Slot is definately behind the rad. The air passing over that is gonna create a suction and pull air out of there. Same as the slots further back.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I wonder if Alpine have abandoned the concept with the secondary set of louvers that sit on the inboard area of the engine cover. The ones we discusses being taped over (rather poorly :? ) Did anyone see those louvers opened at any point during the test?