Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
.poz
.poz

Re: Mercedes W13

Shaddock wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 01:02
Chemicals such as barium hydroxide octahydrate and ammonium thiocyanate will freeze if they come into contact with each other for example.
That reaction (that after a fast research on internet seem to be one of the most endothermic) generates ammonia.... not very safe

But can you store in a F1 car a sufficient amount of it to "generate" enough cold to cool the car for a whole GP ?

ringo

Emag wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 15:06
ringo wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 15:03
the EDGE wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 09:38
How exactly would you control tyre wake in an era with no no out-wash FW, no bargeboards... and no sidepods?

Not sure where this rumour came from... but I'm not buying it
This tyre wake control thing is actually the flavour of the month fad. Having no sidepods is the more beneficial thing to do.
The tyres already have the winglets above them by regulation. The cars do not have bargeboards any more to turn the air outward.
what they do have are tunnels.. very big tunnels and that's where most of the air that matters will be going.
Removing the side pods reduces lift and provides more high energy flow over the top of the floor and to the rear of the car.
The tyre wake thing only affects drag, doesnt produce downforce and will vary as the front wheels turn.
Tyre wake significantly alters the flow towards the rear for worse. It's not a good idea to leave it unmanaged.

The winglets on top of the wheels and covers help somewhat, but they don't nullify the problem.

If Mercedes doesn't do anything to mitigate the dirty air at least to a certain degree, it won't matter how much free space they have on top of the floor. If the dirty air hits the rear before the diffuser, it messes up everything.

And the fact that this wake is variable, as you said, changing with amount of steering input. That makes it even worse because not only is there a huge mess, it's an incosistent mess.
It is being overstated. The wake from the front tires had a bigger impact on the older cars with the flat floor and tea tray area.
The flow of air from the tyres further downstream is more outward. The tyre wake more affects leakage of air to the floor and drag. The leakage from the floor was more considerable with a flat floor.
These cars have tunnels so the flow is cupped under the car and sheilded.
Secondly a sidepod shape is not protrusive enough to signficantly alter the tyre wake.
It would literally have to reach out into the shadow of the front wheels.
The is a larger benefit of smaller sidepods.
What ferrrari and aston are doing is trying to reduce lift with the body of the car.
That was their goal more so than anything with tyre wake.
A flat topped sidepod has better pressure recovery after the air passes downstream of the radiator inlets.
Ferrari have been playing with this concept for years. However the balance of not starving the air flowing along the lower parts of the car to towards between the rear wheel and gearbox is usually compromised.
They now have this curved shape on the edges of the top of the sidepod to create a vortex that curls inward and brings air downstream.
I dont have the time these days to do the cfd and all my images of cfd on older cars are deleted as i was using image bucket back then.

But long story short. Going with a cigar shaped car and a big expansive floor and a few gurney flaps to build pressure on top of the floor will reap a lot of rewards.
For Sure!!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

The new “no sidepods” of Mercedes

Vía Albert Fabrega

gandharva

Last edited by gandharva on 10 Mar 2022, 07:58, edited 3 times in total.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Another angle

NtsParadize
NtsParadize

Madness

Envoyé de mon Nokia 8.1 en utilisant Tapatalk

LM10
LM10

Looks crazy!

organic

Are there any pictures of the rear? Is it as slim as before?

This design is radical indeed. Very impressive!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

organic wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 07:56
Are there any pictures of the rear? Is it as slim as before?
I’m sure we will get some in pretty soon… Will make sure to post (if I’m still awake! Lol)

NtsParadize
NtsParadize

New vortex generators below the mirrors?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Yes, completely different concept to the car in Spain (vortex generators on behind the mirrors)… Funny that Aston Martin copied the Barcelona ones for these tests, guess they will have these ones next week :)

NtsParadize
NtsParadize

I remember how some people were saying here how "impossible" it was for Mercedes to bring a new car for the second test due to the cost cap lol

NtsParadize
NtsParadize

And remember the sidepod design which didn't pass the crash test was said to be even more extreme

AeroDynamic

lol that is bizarre. Well, I am not surprised they had a full hand!

Without question, that is a more radical step forward in development than we saw in 2019 between the two tests.

In the background, another car looks very similar to what we saw in test 1. :)

Sevach
Sevach

It didn't dissapoint, i was expecting this info to be a bust but they really had their cards in their pockets.