Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: Mercedes W13

A few more pictures:

AeroDynamic

The sidepodeless design from the front.

The floor is much more simplified? Gone are the wavy edge again. Seems like the wavy floor is a red herring.
Last edited by AeroDynamic on 10 Mar 2022, 08:34, edited 4 times in total.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Edit: Pictures above :)

icantride
icantride

I'm amazed the rumours were true, was fully expecting a minor tweak

Looks like they've been able to recreate the downwashing wing that was common in the previous era of cars

ringo

:lol:
Where are the doubters now?
They were really hard at work over the 2021 year.
As much as the body work looks radical, this design can be copied by all of the teams. :)
But it is a nice head start. That floor will be sucked to the ground now with that downwash from the front of the sidepods creating an air curtain.
Will the suspension work with this kind of downforce though? more porpoising?!

I like it. A lot to look at and digest.

The new sidepods explains why the front wings were so agressive. The inlet of the sidepods have a clear view of the lower part of the front wing profile. The more aggressive part's downstream flow will go to the out part of the sidepod.
But also the size of the wing gives an idea of how much downforce is being balanced in the body!

This is Russel vs Hamilton this year! Russel deserves an oscar for the act he was putting on about Ferrari and Mclaren.
Last edited by ringo on 10 Mar 2022, 08:27, edited 1 time in total.
For Sure!!

dans79

Jesus though side pods are narrow, from the front end view, it looks like they don't even project out past the the inside of the tires.
201 105 104 9 9 7

AeroDynamic

You really must appreciate the sidepodeless view from angles like this

NtsParadize
NtsParadize

SmallSoldier wrote:A few more pictures:

I love how Merc got rid of the mirror wings and just decided to attach the mirrors to the side crash structure

Envoyé de mon Nokia 8.1 en utilisant Tapatalk

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

ringo wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 08:22
:lol:
Where are the doubters now?
They were really hard at work over the 2021 year.
As much as the body work looks radical, this design can be copied by all of the teams. :)
But it is a nice head start. That floor will be sucked to the ground now with that downwash from the front of the sidepods creating an air curtain.
Will the suspension work with this kind of downforce though? more porpoising?!

I like it. A lot to look at and digest.
If the suggestions that the reason why the sidepods are so small (inexistent?) is because part of the cooling / radiators are inside the tub and that they are using some “black magic” (chemical cooling or something else) to reduce the footprint of the radiators… This solution won’t be easy to copy, not in a short time frame at least… Not only that, as always in F1, everything works as a whole, so it wouldn’t be just a matter of reducing the sidepods for someone trading to copy them (I’m sure this type of arrangement, has it’s compromises also, which need to be understood in order to minimize their impact)

ringo

Did the rear suspension change to pushrod?

I was hinting at this earlier, but I guess it was too crazy to believe. Also did not want to give away the game when I want this team to do well. The coolers are invading the fuel tank space.
But how Mercedes achieve this is with a long chassis. You put the coolers in the side, lengthen the fuel tank to ensure the 100kg tank volume is maintained. Lengthen the car enough that the hot air can escape as well.

The team are not using any fancy liquid for cooling i suspect. The car is long and the radiators are actually still normal sized. I suspect the coolers are angled very narrowly and the air just flows through the cavity under the tub.
Last edited by ringo on 10 Mar 2022, 08:36, edited 1 time in total.
For Sure!!

SparkyAMG

Well it's extreme. I'm cautiously optimistic but don't necessarily expect this to be a silver bullet as I'm sure there are trade-offs that have been made.

Also can't say I'm a fan of the aesthetic so far but it may look better in motion.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Another angle

DragonSGC
DragonSGC

I am sure Merc have done their homework regarding the legality of this solution but I wonder if possible protests are being thought of this very second, either on minimum curvature, shadowing or discontinuity grounds, post quali in bahrain is going to be spicy (its when a successful protest will have the most impact).

AeroDynamic

Last edited by AeroDynamic on 10 Mar 2022, 08:41, edited 1 time in total.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

ringo wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 08:30
Did the rear suspension change to pushrod?

I was hinting at this earlier, but I guess it was too crazy to believe. Also did not want to give away the game when I want this team to do well. The coolers are invading the fuel tank space.
But how Mercedes achieve this is with a long chassis. You put the coolers in the side, lengthen the fuel tank to ensure the 100kg tank volume is maintained. Lengthen the car enough that the hot air can escape as well.

The team are not using any fancy liquid for cooling i suspect. The car is long and the radiators are actually still normal sized. I suspect the coolers are angled very narrowly and the air just flows through the cavity under the tub.
Isn’t the fuel tank a spec part?