2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mansell89
Mansell89

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Yeah looks that way - I’m pleased as came to really love the Barcelona livery in the end :)

Anyway- the real business starts tomorrow with track time and development!

_cerber1

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

_cerber1 wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 07:58
Was about to post… Hopefully nothing serious and he will be on the car tomorrow… These tests and miles on the car are very important for both drivers to get used to the car

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I find it a bit strange, or ironic that during the biggest boon of F1 team sponsorship in recent time, it has been the most quiet one for McLaren in recent years. A lot of high profile and commercial deals being done up and down the grid. Red Bull’s Oracke and crypto deals, AM with Aramco, Alpine with BWT, Williams got Duracell, Ferrari back with Santander, Alfa have been reported to have done about a dozen deals (probably small, but Zhou brings funding) etc. If anything, there have been more sponsor exits this year than in previous recent years.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 08:19
I find it a bit strange, or ironic that during the biggest boon of F1 team sponsorship in recent time, it has been the most quiet one for McLaren in recent years. A lot of high profile and commercial deals being done up and down the grid. Red Bull’s Oracke and crypto deals, AM with Aramco, Alpine with BWT, Williams got Duracell, Ferrari back with Santander, Alfa have been reported to have done about a dozen deals (probably small, but Zhou brings funding) etc. If anything, there have been more sponsor exits this year than in previous recent years.
Zak’s philosophy has been one to avoid having “Title Sponsors”… And it’s not a bad one, you don’t rely on one particular one, you don’t have to please or cater to their marketing initiatives (for example having pink in the car due to BWT)… It’s early too… And the car is far from “naked”… I wouldn’t be too concerned

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

I feel our car looks very basic now I’ve seen the Merc…

MrMclaren

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 09:08
I think every car looks basic compared to that mercedes...

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 09:08
Still early to tell what the right approach is… If one looks at Ferrari and Mercedes they are in the opposite sides of the spectrum… McLaren is kind of in the middle of both… Every design will have a compromise, who is compromising less? We will find out soon enough.

At the same time, is it really surprising that Mercedes brought a very radical design? They have won the WCC 8 times in a row for a reason

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

It’s just the packaging that seems quite a bit more extreme. Our just looks bulky. I appreciate that the concept at the front is to push front tyre wake away but there is no downslope/high pod and the back “in comparison” doesn’t tighten up much either. But it doesn’t porpoise at least!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 09:25
It’s just the packaging that seems quite a bit more extreme. Our just looks bulky. I appreciate that the concept at the front is to push front tyre wake away but there is no downslope/high pod and the back “in comparison” doesn’t tighten up much either. But it doesn’t porpoise at least!
The MCL36 could have smaller sidepods based on the “under skin” pictures we’ve seeing… If it looks bulky, is by design

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

For sure. Intrinsically we are closer in philosophy than most other teams anyway so if the Merc way is the way to go we should be able to move in that direction reasonably quickly. But the proof is in the eating. Let’s see what the clock says

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

If anything… The one thing that bothers me (not that it matters) is the fact that they have lost the first 40 minutes of testing without having the car on track… Images showed the mechanics working on the front suspension, without a baseline, it means that they weren’t ready to hit the ground running

_cerber1

Why is Lando not on the track?

djos

Kyle (former Mercedes’ aero engineer) has a positive view of the MCL36 aero concepts. So I’m optimistic Mclaren will be competitive.

"In downforce we trust"

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

_cerber1 wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 09:39
Why is Lando not on the track?
I guess there was a last minute change on the seat (Daniel was expected to drive), but they showed footage of the team working on the suspension (which I don’t understand what they could be doing if the car hasn’t hit the track yet and they have some information from yesterday’s film day)