Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dialtone
dialtone

Re: Mercedes W13

NathanOlder wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 10:10
Looked like the porpoising has been fixed, just saw the car on straight and didnt seem to be doing it with the small rod attatched to the edge of the floor
Last lap they showed Lewis was going back in the box slowly so I wouldn't expect porpoising to be there then. It improved a bit but still jumping around quite a bit and unstable out of slow corners.

dans79

dialtone wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 10:16
NathanOlder wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 10:10
Looked like the porpoising has been fixed, just saw the car on straight and didnt seem to be doing it with the small rod attatched to the edge of the floor
Last lap they showed Lewis was going back in the box slowly so I wouldn't expect porpoising to be there then. It improved a bit but still jumping around quite a bit and unstable out of slow corners.
A lot of the cars have looked tail happy. A portion of that is probably because the track is green, and teams are still working on setup.
201 105 104 9 9 7

AeroDynamic

The mercedes centre-line packaging has got bulkier per the comparison.
The sidepods are further back for sure via the comparison
Last edited by AeroDynamic on 10 Mar 2022, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.

DChemTech
DChemTech

I guess one could say that Mercedes has strongly reduced the gray area in their design :mrgreen:

Vanja #66

PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 10:08
I think what they achieved here is to reduce the impact of the upper wake as Kyle engineers would say ans also that side pod lift should be elimianted.

The side pod at it's widest is not all that narrow. You can still see the lower crash structure is not protruding. But you can bet that the draggiest parts of the side pod are no more.

She should rely fly down the straights that's for sure. I'm worried about reliability and balance.
The more I'm looking at this design, the more problematic it seems. The aerofoil around the side impact structure looks massive, angled and decently cambered - that's a lot of lift and drag just with that one element. However, this would also draw a bit more air to the rear and beam wings. I'm sure the team wouldn't make this kind of effort if it wasn't worth it in the end, but there are a lot of compromises and they don't look that small to me.

Worth noting, I really like the design diversity with these new regulations. Wasn't expecting it at all.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

dans79

It's interesting, that they ran a few laps with the front lovers taped over. Almost to say look we don't need them!

I wonder what Horner will think of that.
201 105 104 9 9 7

mzivtins
mzivtins

Vanja #66 wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 10:24
PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 10:08
I think what they achieved here is to reduce the impact of the upper wake as Kyle engineers would say ans also that side pod lift should be elimianted.

The side pod at it's widest is not all that narrow. You can still see the lower crash structure is not protruding. But you can bet that the draggiest parts of the side pod are no more.

She should rely fly down the straights that's for sure. I'm worried about reliability and balance.
The more I'm looking at this design, the more problematic it seems. The aerofoil around the side impact structure looks massive, angled and decently cambered - that's a lot of lift and drag just with that one element. However, this would also draw a bit more air to the rear and beam wings. I'm sure the team wouldn't make this kind of effort if it wasn't worth it in the end, but there are a lot of compromises and they don't look that small to me.
Could this be the emrgeance of two philosophies, one seeks to reduce or eliminate side pod lift (Ferrari) the other is to work as sealing the floor the increase its effectiveness to forcefully overcome and lift issue around the Centre of the car (McLaren & Mercedes)???

maxxer
maxxer

AeroDynamic wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 10:21
The mercedes centre-line packaging has got bulkier per the comparison.
The sidepods are further back for sure via the comparison
Yeah noticed that 2 from behind the halo its flat now

AeroDynamic

The bulkier body beneath the Ineos Logo.

Receded sidepod profile, closer to headrest.
Last edited by AeroDynamic on 10 Mar 2022, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.

levidrugi
levidrugi

AeroDynamic

Stiff, but no porpoising on that last lap with VET behind.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Vanja #66

mzivtins wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 10:26
Could this be the emrgeance of two philosophies, one seeks to reduce or eliminate side pod lift (Ferrari) the other is to work as sealing the floor the increase its effectiveness to forcefully overcome and lift issue around the Centre of the car (McLaren & Mercedes)???
Actually, all 3 cars have 3 very different aero philosophies. And then there's RB/AT as 4, Williams as 5 and other teams as 6.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Car looks like a maaaaassive handful. Lewis was trying to stay ahead of vettel just now and the car wouldn't turn in the slow corners and just drifted into the runoff.

Usual caveats of no idea of fuel loads and run programs etc.

InsaneX_Badger

Car does seem a real handful, struggling to turn in and put the power down coming out