2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Xero

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Lando just gone half a second faster than Sainz managed on the C2, so not all doom and gloom.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

The car does look good on track though, looks fairly stable…. 1.4 seconds from Gastly’s time in Hards (not sure if new or used) isn’t too bad on paper, but who knows what they are doing in terms of fuel loads, power, etc.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Xero wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 17:41
Lando just gone half a second faster than Sainz managed on the C2, so not all doom and gloom.
And he didn’t had a personal best in S3 (he locked up in the final corner)… Not too bad… But times are meaningless… If anything, the car looks good and they are not several seconds behind.

Emag
Emag

Ferrari looks supreme onboard to be honest. McLaren has a lot of understeer at the moment.

Emag
Emag

Oh man, worse news incoming. Will Buxton apparently spoke with Lando now after the test, and the team are unsure whether they will be able to fix the brake issues for tomorrow or not.

The goodness that came out from Barcelona is apparently being balanced out by this horrid opening here. To make matters worse, we are racing next week. They have to try hard to fix these issues or it will hurt performance on the first rac.e

CjC
CjC

What on earth have they changed on the brakes?
They’ve gone from looking like one of the strongest to a laughing stock.....
Just a fan's point of view

proteus

CjC wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 19:23
Why would they be laughing stock?
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Darth-Piekus

It is unfortunately a minor setback which I hope they will solve fast. In any case I still think it's one of the quickest cars without porpoising close to the top two despite of today.

Is it possible that the brakes are overheating? That's never happened in Barcelona

Macklaren
Macklaren

CjC wrote:
Maybe they didn't change anything?
Conditions here very different than Barcelona. Higher temps may have created cooling issues they didn't have before? Their brake ducts are tiny

Darth-Piekus

Do you think we have overheating issues?

Balalu
Balalu

Temperature is quite higher in Bahrain. Someone somewhere said they couldn't do longer runs due to the issue, so it's quite possibly overheating issues.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Andrea Stella spinning today’s issues a bit:

“It has been a busy first day at the Bahrain International Circuit. We spent most of the morning investigating brake cooling configurations, with a methodical step-by-step approach that delivered the required information, preparing us for the rest of the test and the Bahrain Grand Prix next week.
In the afternoon, we spent time developing the set-up of the car. That was very useful and we found good directions. A tough but fruitful day overall. We’re all hoping Daniel is feeling better tomorrow.”

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

SmallSoldier wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 21:14
Andrea Stella spinning today’s issues a bit:

“It has been a busy first day at the Bahrain International Circuit. We spent most of the morning investigating brake cooling configurations, with a methodical step-by-step approach that delivered the required information, preparing us for the rest of the test and the Bahrain Grand Prix next week.
In the afternoon, we spent time developing the set-up of the car. That was very useful and we found good directions. A tough but fruitful day overall. We’re all hoping Daniel is feeling better tomorrow.”
Let’s hope they can at least find a compromise that’ll allow them a full day of running tomorrow, and a permanent fix before the season starts.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

CjC
CjC

proteus wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 19:51
CjC wrote:
Why would they be laughing stock?
Laughing stock might have been a bit much but to have limited running today due to the breaks over heating is a very weak effort :roll:

CjC
CjC

Macklaren wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 19:57
CjC wrote:
Maybe they didn't change anything?
Conditions here very different than Barcelona. Higher temps may have created cooling issues they didn't have before? Their brake ducts are tiny
Very true, it’s just a shame that an experienced engineering company didn’t check the weather and track layout before they flew to the desert