2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Emag
Emag

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Lachstar wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 12:34
Not bad 10 laps on the last set of tyres, with a couple of trips through the pit lane in the middle. Good improvement.
We are really milking at the moment ...

I don't care if they win the race here next week. You can't deny that this is not good.
Last edited by Emag on 11 Mar 2022, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.

Marc.W

People sure do change their opinions quickly.

It's a set back sure, but have a little faith.

_cerber1

I think the plan was at least 100 laps a day, and if the brake problem is solved, they can do it today and tomorrow. In the end, various little things can be left for Friday training.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Honestly- a tidy test at Barca and people were thinking we’d be winning the first race- one issue with brake discs in Bahrain and we’re a “laughing stock” 😂

Not ideal, but this is a team so methodical that I’ve got every faith they will work their way to where they need to be come Q1 next week.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Well, if you know the mode of failure… Then please enlighten us.

According to PhillipM it isn’t “heat” related and it’s something that definitely has caught the team by surprise… The reality is that they have the smallest brake ducts in the grid, they innovated in that area and something is either not working as expected, the fact that is not an easy fix means that is embedded in the design and part of the challenge of having the tests in Bahrain is that they can’t send parts as quick as they would if it was in Barcelona.

It is testing after all, this is when they need to push limits and break stuff in order to find the weak points and therefore address them… When you start bring things to the limit, you are bound to find some issues… I just find the overreaction by some baffling, i wouldn’t call the team a “laughing stock”.

Emag
Emag

I am definitely not saying "omg its all over now", but I also don't want to underplay the situation looking for silver linings.

This is definitely not a good thing. It may not make a huge difference in the end, but right here and now, it's not a good image

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 12:52
I am definitely not saying "omg its all over now", but I also don't want to underplay the situation looking for silver linings.

This is definitely not a good thing. It may not make a huge difference in the end, but right here and now, it's not a good image
It isn’t ideal, that’s for sure… It wasn’t planned, it is a setback… What matters is how the team reacts and deals with it and it seems they got some running this morning and are working their program around the issue.

Among the plethora of things that could have gone wrong, I’m glad that is the brakes actually, should be one of the “easiest” things to deal with… My only concern with the lack of long runs is the lack of assessment of heat management below the body work… After all the laps done in Barcelona, the car seems at least solid from a build stand point.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Emag wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 11:13
Yeah this test has been a big yikes so far. Daniel is sick, brakes are broken, and they still haven't been able to test any new stuff yet.
There wasn't a huge amount to test here bar, ironically, brake ducts/rear brake winglets.

Marc.W

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Emag wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 12:52

The good thing here at least is that they've discovered the issue in testing, and they have got parts on the way that could fix the issue. It will be a test of how good McLaren's rebuilding has gone if they are able to pinpoint the problem and create a fix in a reasonable time frame. Brakes are going to be a challenge for all the teams given the changes, so I wouldn't be all doom and gloom about it. The first race might not be one to remember for McLaren, but that's F1. It's a marathon not a sprint.

_cerber1

PhillipM wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 13:11
There wasn't a huge amount to test here bar, ironically, brake ducts/rear brake winglets.
Does this mean that the chassis for the first Grand Prix will be in the current specification, or do they want to bring updates to the race without trying them out?

_cerber1

CjC
CjC

_cerber1 wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 14:37
If I was Ric I’d make myself available to drive. It’s not like there is going to be much to do
Just a fan's point of view

the EDGE
the EDGE

Are McLaren running a new floor at present?

Emag
Emag

CjC wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 14:45
_cerber1 wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 14:37
If I was Ric I’d make myself available to drive. It’s not like there is going to be much to do
Dude, if you are sick its not a matter of wanting or not wanting to drive.

If he is unable to, he won't drive. That's all there is to it.