2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Seerix
Seerix

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

SkyF1 - McLaren don't think they will be out before lunch break.

DragonSGC
DragonSGC

Its been unclear if this morning's running was being done on their modified parts or the parts that were flown in, I am hoping that they are going to be fitting the new parts and will be using taht after lunch.

Darth-Piekus

Do you think that the Brakes that were breaking down were simply a faulty part which will be corrected once they been changed?

Lachstar
Lachstar

How the turntables... from leading the lap count to fewest in the space of 90minutes.

DragonSGC
DragonSGC

Darth-Piekus wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 12:38
Do you think that the Breaks that were breaking down were simply a faulty part which will be corrected once they been changed?
All that I have read is that the interior ducting itself is getting too toasty rather than the brakes themsevles, so whether that is a design flaw or a manufacturing flaw its unclear but essentially these toasty bits then begin rubbing on the inside of the cake tins.

McL-H
McL-H

Very disappointing preparation for the team on the new season. It must be extremely difficult after all the hard work they’ve put in to have your testing schedule get interrupted by an issue on such a small part on the car. I hope the guys can have a reasonable afternoon, but there is no question about it that this has set us back. And that after such a good test in Barcelona. It all looked so promising!
These things happen. But it is a huge bummer to the fans and especially the guys in the team. All we can do is learn from it.

KingHamilton01

McL-H wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 13:09
Very disappointing preparation for the team on the new season. It must be extremely difficult after all the hard work they’ve put in to have your testing schedule get interrupted by an issue on such a small part on the car. I hope the guys can have a reasonable afternoon, but there is no question about it that this has set us back. And that after such a good test in Barcelona. It all looked so promising!
These things happen. But it is a huge bummer to the fans and especially the guys in the team. All we can do is learn from it.
Can only hope whatever they are trying to implement is worth all the downtime trying to get it to work?
McLaren Mercedes

Darth-Piekus

This is off topic but doesn't Mclaren have a personal circuit to test with the car and it's parts like Ferrari has in Mugello and did in the past?

Nicktendo86
Nicktendo86

Darth-Piekus wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 13:24
This is off topic but doesn't Mclaren have a personal circuit to test with the car and it's parts like Ferrari has in Mugello and did in the past?
No I don’t believe so and I think that is against the rules now anyway as they’re limited to just official tests ands filming days?

Darth-Piekus

Didn't Ferrari used to do that during the Mosley Era gaining an advantage and never punished for it?

PlatinumZealot

Darth-Piekus wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 12:38
Do you think that the Brakes that were breaking down were simply a faulty part which will be corrected once they been changed?
Not a faulty part, but more likely a design that only worked in cooler temperatures and favourable wind conditions. Manadatory wheel covers this year means cooling air has to go into the wheel, hit the disk and caliper then make a tight U-turn to come out on the same inboard side of the wheel. It is this tight u-turn and the associated ducting required that makes managing the cooling more tricky.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Darth-Piekus

Fingers crossed we solve this problem, do a lot of laps in the afternoon and do some qualifying laps to see where we might stand. I cannot accept that the car has gone backwards from one week to another suddenly.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I think where we were very strong was in high-speed corners in Barcelona, but where we struggle is in low-speed corners like here. I think in general that's why we looked stronger in Barcelona than here. I think we are still in a decent place, it's hard to work it out. We know we have a lot of work to do, we're still trying to bring new bits to the car.
Lando Norris, McLaren

Darth-Piekus

Shouldn't we have solved the low speed corner weakness by now?

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Darth-Piekus wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 14:04
Shouldn't we have solved the low speed corner weakness by now?
Shouldn't we be 5 times champions in our works deal with Honda? :)

could've, would've, should've