2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Emag
Emag

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Evidently not. And it shows onboard. Obviously nobody knows fuel loads, but the car visibly understeers on low to mid speed corners. RedBull and Ferrari turn in sharper.

A shame this characteristic has been carried through to the new car. Low speed performance is a classic trait of fast cars and its tricky to get it right because downforce becomes useless at those speeds.

You need a good chassis and mechanical design, and McLaren hasn't nailed that yet.

runningmanz
runningmanz

I think the heat, heavy braking and bumps here found out our radical braking setup. Better now than during the season. Just hope we can fix it sooner rather than later. Still think we have a fast car with good potential. We haven't really pushed hard since Barcelona day 1 I believe, so alot more to come.

Darth-Piekus

Seeing our car and then seeing the rest leaves me with something like it's missing. It looks simple compared to all the rest.

bauc

Darth-Piekus wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 14:37
Seeing our car and then seeing the rest leaves me with something like it's missing. It looks simple compared to all the rest.
More complicated aero does not mean by default a faster car
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Darth-Piekus

bauc wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 14:38
Darth-Piekus wrote:
While true for some reason it doesn't sit well with me. Apart from the floor and the new braking system that has problems what else did we bring as updates? What about a different more radical bodywork or front and rear wings.

runningmanz
runningmanz

Well we don't know what's underneath, where the bulk of the performance takes place. Different than previous years so no point getting too worried by outward appearances.
Last edited by runningmanz on 12 Mar 2022, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

Xero

Darth-Piekus wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 14:41
bauc wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:
While true for some reason it doesn't sit well with me. Apart from the floor and the new braking system that has problems what else did we bring as updates? What about a different more radical bodywork or front and rear wings.
New front wing. McLarens success the last few years has been down to honing a solid base concept then adding to it. No reason to change now.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

It’s clear that the high speed performance is really good. So the concept aero wise works. The low speed has virtually nothing to do with the tunnels etc shame that we still seem to struggle in the low speed. Thing I’ve been most keen to see resolved. Fingers crossed there is more to come on that, I’m genuinely not concerned about the brakes at all

bauc

Darth-Piekus wrote:
bauc wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:
Sedil said update will arrive for race 1 not Bahrein test
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Xero wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 14:42
Darth-Piekus wrote:
bauc wrote:

New front wing. McLarens success the last few years has been down to honing a solid base concept then adding to it. No reason to change now.
Exactly… McLaren is also on record that parts will be coming next week for the next race… The new floor is very complex with the the way the strakes coming from the tunnels create vortexes, then complemented by 3 vortex generators and the suspended part that enforces those at the end of the floor… Very unique floor treatment (rapidly copied by Ferrari for example)

Darth-Piekus

I know radicallity doesn't mean a fast car but I am missing the days when Mclaren brought a radical car like the MP4-18 for example and everyone is like oooohhh. I want to see these days back again where Mclaren is the cream of the crop.

Xero

Darth-Piekus wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 14:52
I know radicallity doesn't mean a fast car but I am missing the days when Mclaren brought a radical car like the MP4-18 for example and everyone is like oooohhh. I want to see these days back again where Mclaren is the cream of the crop.
Not going to happen until the team have all the pieces of the puzzle in place, specifically wind tunnel and new simulator.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Darth-Piekus wrote:
Everyone went “oooohhh” when they saw the RB18 a couple weeks ago… Everyone went “oooohhh” when they saw the F175… Everyone went “oooohhh” when they saw the W13… 2 of those 3 got it wrong… Does it matter if people go “oooohhh”? Only thing that matters is if the car is fast, how it looks (simple or complicated) is irrelevant.

CjC
CjC

Darth-Piekus wrote:
In the MP4-18 days Mclaren were bank rolled by Mercedes. The same Mercedes that brought a radical car to this test where everyone went ‘ooooh’.
Just a fan's point of view

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

It looks like they are trying to work out the low speed stuff - Norris is turning a lot more in Turn 10 than it is needed, almost making it a hairpin.