Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AeroDynamic

Re: Mercedes W13

#AMuS Mercedes Floor

shamyakovic
shamyakovic

AeroDynamic wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 12:24
#AMuS Mercedes Floor
https://imgr1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/L ... 880355.jpg
Looks very basic if u compare to other cars

SiLo

shamyakovic wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 12:25
AeroDynamic wrote:
#AMuS Mercedes Floor
I expect they will bring updates to this potentially for the first race. Looks like one of the ways to help with porpoising is to have some cutouts in the floor edge.
Felipe Baby!

nimoraca
nimoraca

SiLo wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 12:34
shamyakovic wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:
#AMuS Mercedes Floor
I expect they will bring updates to this potentially for the first race. Looks like one of the ways to help with porpoising is to have some cutouts in the floor edge.
I don't think they are struggling to solve the porpoising problem itself. The goal is to solve it but also retain as much efficient downforce as possible. The fact that some teams "are better with porpoising" than others means nothing until we see the performance of those cars in race conditions.

AeroDynamic

nimoraca wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 12:37
SiLo wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 12:34
shamyakovic wrote:

I don't think they are struggling to solve the porpoising problem itself. The goal is to solve it but also retain as much efficient downforce as possible. The fact that some teams "are better with porpoising" than others means nothing until we see the performance of those cars in race conditions.
Indeed. An interpretation you can make, is some teams have given up trying to find a compromise on the limit of how low they dare to run the floor. Other teams haven't and are trying different solutions. Raising ride height is easy but costs downforce.

zubster
zubster

AeroDynamic wrote:
#AMuS Mercedes Floor
Is this a new floor the put on today or the one from the start of this test?

f1jcw
f1jcw

zubster wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 13:07
AeroDynamic wrote:
#AMuS Mercedes Floor
Is this a new floor the put on today or the one from the start of this test?
Maybe a new floor getting putting on this dinner, they had the covers up

radosav
radosav

Source: The Race

"Hamilton absolutely emphatic that Mercedes is not in a good position right now. He doesn't expect Mercedes to fight for wins in its current form and says if people don't believe that, they will be surprised next weekend.

Asked if he can fight for the title this year, he says: "Obviously it’s a little bit too early to have those kinds of thoughts. At the moment I don’t think we’ll be competing for wins. But there is potential within our car to get us there. We’ve just got to extract it and fix our problems.

"That’s what we’re working on. Everyone’s doing a fantastic job, working as hard as they can.

"We have hurdles to overcome. Next week we will have a better showing of our pace. People will be surprised maybe - people think we are talking ourselves down but it’s different this year."

PlatinumZealot

What is happening next week? The GP or more testing?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Morteza

PlatinumZealot wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 14:52
What is happening next week? The GP or more testing?
It's gonna be the GP. Testing is only 6 days
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

De Jokke

radosav wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 14:46

"Hamilton absolutely emphatic that Mercedes is not in a good position right now. He doesn't expect Mercedes to fight for wins in its current form and says if people don't believe that, they will be surprised next weekend.

Asked if he can fight for the title this year, he says: "Obviously it’s a little bit too early to have those kinds of thoughts. At the moment I don’t think we’ll be competing for wins. But there is potential within our car to get us there. We’ve just got to extract it and fix our problems.

"That’s what we’re working on. Everyone’s doing a fantastic job, working as hard as they can.

"We have hurdles to overcome. Next week we will have a better showing of our pace. People will be surprised maybe - people think we are talking ourselves down but it’s different this year."
Yup, the porpoising is really holding them back to get the car in a sweet spot, I think. Once this is solved, they might be in the pound seat.

LH: “I think we have far bigger challenges this time, and they are not one week turnarounds.

“I think they will take a little bit longer. But from what I'm told we have a considerable amount of pace to find.”
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

SICK AL SPEEDSHOP

FiA explains in this german article on motorsport-magazin why the fantastic W13 is legal but article 3.6.4 of technical regulations left room for different intepretations because of bodywork of mirror housing and bodywork of mirror mountings.

source: motorsport-magazin

https://www.motorsport-magazin.com/form ... n-bahrain/

Andi76
Andi76

De Jokke wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 15:06
radosav wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 14:46

Yup, the porpoising is really holding them back to get the car in a sweet spot, I think. Once this is solved, they might be in the pound seat.

LH: “I think we have far bigger challenges this time, and they are not one week turnarounds.

“I think they will take a little bit longer. But from what I'm told we have a considerable amount of pace to find.”
On Sky Germany Andreas Haupt from "auto, motor und sport", who has good sources within Mercedes, just gave an interview where he said exactly what Lewis said. He was also told by Mercedes Engineers that they think Ferrari has the best car at the moment followed by Red Bull, who obviously got better with todays updates. Haupt said that Mercedes even doubt that they are Nr. 3 behind Ferrari and Red Bull, saying that they think another team is also in front of team at the moment.

Maybe they are sandbagging, but i do not think so, as their car does not really look good on track. But we will have to wait untill next week to be sure.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

I can't see any proper sandbagging.

The car has at no point ever looked like it was hooked up, except when Ham did his low fuel runs yesterday, but even then he was unable to be anywhere near competitive without being on the C5 tyre, which nobody else set their fastest times on..

De Jokke

If merc can be several tenths down with this 'horrible balance' until they can tame the purpoising and unleash the beast, we can have damage limitation to recuperate once they have got the car sorted out. Lewis was talking about significant pace to unlock.

I'm trying to see it as follows: rbr and ferrari quite hooked up, merc not so but merc lots of pace to unlock yet. So they might leapfrog them easily once the bouncing issue is sorted out.

My guess:

RBR
FER
MERC
MCL
ALPHA TAURI
ASTON
ALPINE
HAAS
ALFA
WIL

MERC clearly trying to dial her in on low fuel runs.
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!