2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Wow! Colton Herta to test with McLaren in 2022. Now that’s cool!
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Darth-Piekus

Xero wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 18:07
Darth-Piekus wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 18:03
Im on a different opinion. I believe the car is very very close to Red Bull, Mercedes and Ferrari and I am confident the big upgrade will bring it even closer if not equal. I still believe we haven't shown our best form yet due to brake problems while I think that both Red Bull and Ferrari has shown their almost best form.
Thinking with your heart instead of your head, setting yourself up for disappointment.

I'm totally free of all and any expectations, but remain confident.
I don't think the car is slower than the Haas and the Alfa Romeo. I think the brake problems forbid Mclaren to show their potential. In any case we shal see next week what the upgrade will give Mclaren and if it fixes the problem.

Big Tea

Emag wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 17:07
Man, 3 days and they couldn't solve that damned brake issue, which suggests it runs deeper than just "change brake ducts". Nevermind the pace of the car, I hope we don't have a double dnf here next week. What a disappointment after Barcelona man. It's like we went too high and god slapped us back to reality hard. This test has been very sucky.

I hope at least Daniel is getting better. I have had close people die from covid. Wouldn't take it as lightly as some people seem to take it here. That sh!t is no joke.
Worst case, it could be the front wing not allowing air, or new material used in the system or even new tighter tolerances used in manufacture of the break which did not allow for expansion.
a week gives them time to get onto it, so better than finding it in FP2
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

_cerber1

Ground Effect wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 18:08
Who?

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

I think we are in okay shape. Not RB - FER. Close to Merc at this stage and a tight pack behind. As soon as the temp came down the car was okay to run. So the temp issue is solve-able I’m convinced of that. Glad it was picked up in testing!

Still think we lack slow speed (Lando gave it away) but a solid base to build from

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

_cerber1 wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 18:10
Ground Effect wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 18:08
Who?
:lol: Young IndyCar driver, drives for Andretti…
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

DragonSGC
DragonSGC

I am really impressed with the 33.2 that Lando put in on the C3's. Yes it could have been a glory run on fumes just to save a little face but I hope it was done for what passes for quali sims during testing fuel loads, because as Mario Isola says there is quite the difference between compounds this year, there is more time in the car.

_cerber1

Ground Effect wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 18:14
He must be very good, since McLaren signed him.

Darth-Piekus

Let's hope we won't be dissapointed from this season. I want to see the team taking another step closer to the first 2 not going a step back.

When will the new facilities and simulator be ready?

_cerber1

DragonSGC wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 18:16
I am really impressed with the 33.2 that Lando put in on the C3's. Yes it could have been a glory run on fumes just to save a little face but I hope it was done for what passes for quali sims during testing fuel loads, because as Mario Isola says there is quite the difference between compounds this year, there is more time in the car.
Bottas and Schumacher are ahead C3, I think there is still a lot of speed in our car.

JPower
JPower

Darth-Piekus wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 18:03
Im on a different opinion. I believe the car is very very close to Red Bull, Mercedes and Ferrari and I am confident the big upgrade will bring it even closer if not equal. I still believe we haven't shown our best form yet due to brake problems while I think that both Red Bull and Ferrari has shown their almost best form.
I'm sure both teams would tell you otherwise.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

_cerber1 wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
It’s just for testing, with the 35M. New FIA rules allow this. I’m just keen to see him in F1 machinery.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

_cerber1 wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 18:18
DragonSGC wrote:
Bottas and Schumacher are ahead C3, I think there is still a lot of speed in our car.
Funny, Motorsport.com is listing Lando’s time of 1:33:151 on the C2 compound. It’s likely to be a mistake?

Edit. 1:33:191, sorry… but they have it on the C2
Last edited by Ground Effect on 12 Mar 2022, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.

DragonSGC
DragonSGC

Ground Effect wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 18:19
_cerber1 wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
It’s just for testing, with the 35M. New FIA rules allow this. I’m just keen to see him in F1 machinery.
When does Mclarens new driver in-loop sim come online, last year when Ferrari's did they spent countless weekends thrashing the SF-71H round Fiarano to check correlation, why is a bell ringing in my head that this year the new sim comes online and testing the MCL35M (even letting on there is a dedicated 35M testing programme) is the perfect opportunity for sim correlation.

DragonSGC
DragonSGC

_cerber1 wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 18:18
DragonSGC wrote:
well perhaps taking out a handicap of not being able to utilise the brakes how Lando wants and things may have a silver lining considering these last few days.
Still think we lack slow speed (Lando gave it away) but a solid base to build from
Is there an interview where he gave a response because at least from what I am seeing the cars nose is way more responsive than last years, tucks in really nice around T8 and 10.