2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
zibby43
zibby43

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

They’ll be right at the sharp end next week, as there’s clearly more pace in the car.

That Shov interview with Sam mollified some of my concerns. Said there are no balance problems. Didn’t seem too troubled about anything, really.

In 2019, after the final test, AMuS said that Ferrari would win a Grand Prix in Barcelona by 5+ seconds. We all know how that turned out. Every year, people fall for the testing hype narratives.

Do I think Merc have more to extract from their package after addressing the lingering porpoising issue? Yes.

rickybobbyf1
rickybobbyf1

Wow, I was really not expecting this at all. Especially after all the time dedicated towards the 2022 car last year. I hope it’s not as painful.

zibby43
zibby43

rickybobbyf1 wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 21:20
Wow, I was really not expecting this at all. Especially after all the time dedicated towards the 2022 car last year. I hope it’s not as painful.
Do they look concerned to you?

Also, you can’t simulate porpoising in the wind tunnel or simulations. It’s something you have to solve with running and data collection.

That’s their only real issue right now.

JPower
JPower

I think Ferrari and Red Bull might a little ahead in the understanding of their concepts than Mercedes at the moment. Obviously, it'll be a long season. I don't see any reason why Mercedes won't be fighting with those two all year.

zibby43
zibby43

Shov’s report from the final day. Pretty optimistic.

We’ve had a busy day here but that’s always the case on the last day of testing. The programme was similar to yesterday but with Lewis doing the race work in the morning and George doing lower fuel and softer tyres in the afternoon. Both sessions have been quite instructive, we’ve made a bit of progress with the bouncing which in turn has made the car less of a handful on the limit and it also feels like we’ve made a step in the right direction with setup today. There’s still a lot of pace to come if we can make further gains on the bouncing and get the car more settled. We’ve got a lot of good data so hopefully we can gain a bit more understanding of the issues in the next few days.

From a reliability point of view, the chassis and power unit have run without issue which is encouraging to see and testament to a lot of good work in Brackley and Brixworth. Judging the car from a performance point of view is less easy, we struggled to get the first laps out of the harder tyres but on softer rubber it’s coming more easily and we look to be in better shape.

It feels like we need to find a bit of pace if we want to be fighting for the win at the first race but we’re learning and developing at a good rate so we’ll just focus on those aspects and see where we stand in seven days’ time.

AeroDynamic

Seen a lot of talk about Mercedes struggling and sentiments of the season being set in stone. Testing is just a forecast for tomorrow not the year. The cars have too much scope and are too new to read too much into this test. all these cars are going to develop and improve rapidly, or stall. Which package has the bigger potential to be unlocked, is not clear yet.

zibby43
zibby43

Motorsport Italy is reporting that Mercedes will have a new floor that will address the remaining porpoising (and allow them to lower the ride height).

It’s going to be a race to get it done in time ahead of Bahrain.

Jozsusz
Jozsusz

zibby43 wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 22:53
Motorsport Italy is reporting that Mercedes will have a new floor that will address the remaining porpoising (and allow them to lower the ride height).

Question is if it'll solve the issue, or not.
They brought a new one to Bahrain and solved nothing.

NathanOlder

Re: Mercedes W13

De Jokke wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 18:52
proteus wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 18:49
De Jokke wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 18:47
Russel sums it up: http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... condition/

If I remember correctly, they lost 2-3 tenths in the last sector alone due to the bouncing. :?
We might get very surprised at race 1.
You still think they are sandbagging?
Come on, the car's behaviour is obvious. It's a handfull atm.
I hope they could turn it around for race 1 but then it would have to be a wonderfloor!

ps: I'm still worried about a le mans scenario, it's clearly the worst car on purpoising.
Watching the on-board today, the only real bad thing was the porpoising. The car looked fairly consistent and predictable in the corners. No nasty over steer moments, a little understeer but not too often. The car looked easy enough to drive today.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

fritticaldi

Tuesday meeting with FIA technical delegate Tomazsis . Ferrari will file a complaint on Mercedes Spaceship mirrors (Binotto's words)

shamyakovic
shamyakovic

Jozsusz wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 23:03
zibby43 wrote:

Question is if it'll solve the issue, or not.
They brought a new one to Bahrain and solved nothing.
They didn't bring a new floor to Bahrain, they brought their B car which had a basic floor (in relation to other teams)

AeroDynamic

fritticaldi wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 23:15
Tuesday meeting with FIA technical delegate Tomazsis . Ferrari will file a complaint on Mercedes Spaceship mirrors (Binotto's words)
I wonder where Binotto thinks they belong? the mirror design is fair and legal.

izzy
izzy

zibby43 wrote:

If they can remove the porpoising AND run it lower that will be pretty good! But then everyone else will be bringing parts as well, and Mick just showed how much difference differences can make. But good, anything can happen 8)

fritticaldi

AeroDynamic wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 23:17
fritticaldi wrote:
The mirrors act like a third wing . Binotto said this solution goes against the spirit of the rules.

shamyakovic
shamyakovic

AeroDynamic wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 23:17
fritticaldi wrote:
I think they are talking about making the top side impact structure a huge downwash wing. Which is against the spirit of the rule (even thought its legal). Thats their argument