2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
the EDGE
the EDGE

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Darth-Piekus wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 20:10
Emag wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 20:03
Darth-Piekus wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 19:56
What about that race 1 upgrade. Any info of how significant it can be apart from solving our brake issue.
Hard to imagine it being very significant. With the race being less than a week from today, doesn't make much sense to test huge diversions form this package at the last moment. Unless they were limited by manufacturing and just couldn't get those parts ready for this test.

Either way, the primary focus point should be to fix those brakes. They won't even be able to finish the race if that's not dealt with.
Let's hope the team be more consistent with the 3 first podium places than last year cause at this rate the only victories with top form I have seen from Mclaren is from the old F1 2000 in my Playstation 1.
That explains a lot :lol:

Darth-Piekus

I'm still blaming Mosley for changing history with his Setupgate breaking a cream of the crop team apart.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Darth-Piekus wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 20:16
I'm still blaming Mosley for changing history with his Setupgate breaking a cream of the crop team apart.
Not bringing this up again :lol:

Let’s build a new dynasty.

Darth-Piekus

Mansell89 wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 20:19
Darth-Piekus wrote:

Are the Simulator and Facilities the only piece of the puzzle that is missing? Any information about when they will be ready?

Also going to sleep. I wish you a good night and see you all in Race 1.

Big Tea

proteus wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 18:40
Seerix wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 18:36
For me, the scary thing is they saw the problem and brought in parts to fix it (if that info is correct) but the solution did not work. That tells me they did not really understand what was wrong.
I'm pretty sure the team is able to fix it within a week, but unfortunately they can only test it in FP1. Hopefully 2nd fix works as it should and does not cost us car performance...

Another thing is they were not able to do any longer stints this week, so we have to hope the car does not have anymore bugs which could not be discovered while doing short stints. It sucks they were not able to do any race sims.

As for the car performance I have no idea where does the team fit. BOT and MSC did faster lap times today than Lando on C3, but that does not have to mean much. Do you guys have any good laps which could tell us where to put McLaren? After this test I just hope that they are in top4 teams at least.
They can test it in the factory. Make another brake assembly on the test bench, spin it to right RPMs, deploy the brakes and feed in the hot air expected for Bahrain. If anyone can do it, it is an F1 team. Ofcourse it is not 100% accurate, but i would say it is close enough to make sure that brakes are prepared for the race.
Not for sure. If the problem is airflow due to the front wing or even the new 'mudgard' they would have to blow air over the area as well, and that may not copy exactly what is seen on track. They should have seen it in design, then had a handy fix during testing, so it may not be a simple fix. I hope they do get it sorted before FP1 though.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Emag
Emag

Big Tea wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 22:04
proteus wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 18:40
Seerix wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 18:36
For me, the scary thing is they saw the problem and brought in parts to fix it (if that info is correct) but the solution did not work. That tells me they did not really understand what was wrong.
I'm pretty sure the team is able to fix it within a week, but unfortunately they can only test it in FP1. Hopefully 2nd fix works as it should and does not cost us car performance...

Another thing is they were not able to do any longer stints this week, so we have to hope the car does not have anymore bugs which could not be discovered while doing short stints. It sucks they were not able to do any race sims.

As for the car performance I have no idea where does the team fit. BOT and MSC did faster lap times today than Lando on C3, but that does not have to mean much. Do you guys have any good laps which could tell us where to put McLaren? After this test I just hope that they are in top4 teams at least.
They can test it in the factory. Make another brake assembly on the test bench, spin it to right RPMs, deploy the brakes and feed in the hot air expected for Bahrain. If anyone can do it, it is an F1 team. Ofcourse it is not 100% accurate, but i would say it is close enough to make sure that brakes are prepared for the race.
Not for sure. If the problem is airflow due to the front wing or even the new 'mudgard' they would have to blow air over the area as well, and that may not copy exactly what is seen on track. They should have seen it in design, then had a handy fix during testing, so it may not be a simple fix. I hope they do get it sorted before FP1 though.
On an interview Lando said that it's not a simple thing. It's quite complicated. But everyone is working hard to have a solution ready by the first race.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Darth-Piekus wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 20:21
Mansell89 wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:
I think that’s certainly what Andreas and Zak have said - they’re pleased with where we are at but they hope the new facilities would be the opportunity to find that extra few percent.

Have you seen any comments from James Key this week? Expected a little bit more in the way of questions put to him for his thoughts after two tests.

Are the Simulator and Facilities the only piece of the puzzle that is missing? Any information about when they will be ready?

Mansell89
Mansell89

[-o< I’m
Darth-Piekus wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 20:21
Mansell89 wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:
I think that’s certainly what Andreas and Zak have said - they’re pleased with where we are at but they hope the new facilities would be the opportunity to find that extra few percent.

Have you seen any comments from James Key this week? Expected a little bit more in the way of questions put to him for his thoughts after two tests.

Have you seen any comments from James Key this week? Expected a little bit more in the way of questions put to him for his thoughts after two tests

Emag
Emag

Mansell89 wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 22:49
Have you seen any comments from James Key this week? Expected a little bit more in the way of questions put to him for his thoughts after two tests
I am afraid the mainstream media doesn't care much about McLaren at the moment. They are too busy reporting Ferrari's resurgence, Red Bull's laptimes and Mercedes' troubles. Those are stories that get the most clicks right now.

frosty125
frosty125

Emag wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 22:52
Mansell89 wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 22:49
I am afraid the mainstream media doesn't care much about McLaren at the moment. They are too busy reporting Ferrari's resurgence, Red Bull's laptimes and Mercedes' troubles. Those are stories that get the most clicks right now.
They can't really comment on much really.

All they can say is that the car hasn't been running much and when it has been running it has been compromised due to the brake issue.

Darth-Piekus

I am seeing how Red Bull each day brought something new and I have a feeling that the only way to get to that level is by getting those Facilities with the Wing Tunnel and the Simulator as we are losing too much time on distance travel for these parts. Red Bull has everything close. The same goes for Mercedes and Ferrari. Apart from that I don't think the team needs anything else to match them.

haza
haza

Difference between compounds if we put Norris on c5 it would put him 0.4-0.6 off verstappen

Darth-Piekus

No difference between C4 and C5? How come?

diffuser

Darth-Piekus wrote:
What about that race 1 upgrade. Any info of how significant it can be apart from solving our brake issue.
I think from a performance perspective, updates this year will bring significant time compare to last year. The thing is we don't really know what McLaen was doing in Bahrain. Times we have , we have no idea how much fuel thier carrying, the time of day , how hot it is etc etc. We'll see next week were they really stand.

Darth-Piekus

diffuser wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 00:16
Darth-Piekus wrote:
I think from a performance perspective, updates this year will bring significant time compare to last year. The thing is we don't really know what McLaen was doing in Bahrain.
I was wondering the same thing. What happened in Bahrain?