2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
EddyBaggio

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

runningmanz wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 02:53
Funny how many have written us off already. We have alot more to come and I can't help feeling we are sandbagging quite alot. Guys like Seidl and Key are highly rated and know how to get things done. Seidl guided McLaren back to where they now from 6th and also as Porsche team principal helped them win 3 WEC manufacturers titles in a row. Key mentioned by many as the successor to Newey as the best car designer in F1. We have assembled a very good team and will get on top of this braking issue that was referred to as not a fundamental problem anyway. That time on day 1 at Barca sticks out alot with a baseline car that was nowhere near dialed in. Can't wait to shock a few of the naysayers in the next few weeks.
I hope you have right. I myself is just a bit worried.

MrGapes

Do we have any grasp on the significance of the race 1 upgrade package? As of recently during testing they did introduce a new floor and front wing, so I’m curious as to the changes, maybe more work around the Venturi entry, wing mirror mounts?? - I do think this is what Piers meant in terms of introducing new parts as late as possible so running production all the way till first race

CjC
CjC

There is a chance that there isn’t another performance upgrade for the season opener as resources could be diverted to the reliability upgrade needed for the front brakes. The current specification will most likely result in a double DNF and no points.
Just a fan's point of view

cliffgamerz
cliffgamerz

CjC wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 10:03
There is a chance that there isn’t another performance upgrade for the season opener as resources could be diverted to the reliability upgrade needed for the front brakes. The current specification will most likely result in a double DNF and no points.
They had mentioned that they have a planned upgrade and i think its already ready but is due to be introduced for the race, but the details of the update is unknown, maybe we just need to wait and see, it could internal layout update or visible updates to bodywork.

mclaren111

McL-H wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 16:59
Darth-Piekus wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 16:37
Is Lando gonna try fast qualifying runs today or only tests for the rest of the day?
Will Lando have a sandwich after the test or full supper?

:lol: =D> =D> :lol:

mwillems

EddyBaggio wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 01:06
Darth-Piekus wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 00:59
Is it possible they made a huge mistake like in 2018 car?
Yes. I think the brake issue is huge.

Probably fine in the colder races, but next weekend will be tuff. A struggle to get to Q3.
Didn't they say the full fix comes next week and that this is just a partial fix?

Seems like the whole exit duct is overheating, there isn't enough airflow through to cool the brakes enough, but is it that the brakes are suffering or that the ducting itself is breaking up under the heat?
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mclaren111

mwillems wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 11:34
EddyBaggio wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:

Probably fine in the colder races, but next weekend will be tuff. A struggle to get to Q3.
Didn't they say the full fix comes next week and that this is just a partial fix?

Seems like the whole exit duct is overheating, there isn't enough airflow through to cool the brakes enough, but is it that the brakes are suffering or that the ducting itself is breaking up under the heat?

I predict the fix will be even better than the original... Our braking solutions has been superb over the last few years including stability under braking... :D
Last edited by mclaren111 on 13 Mar 2022, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

mclaren111 wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 13:57
mwillems wrote:
EddyBaggio wrote:

I think the fix will be even better than the original... Our braking solutions has been superb over the last few years including stability under braking... :D
The fix will be bigger and heavier and not optimal. But what I'd like to know is where that air is going....
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Mansell89
Mansell89

Do we have any mini sector breakdowns of our performance in Bahrain guys?

Watched a brief review and it was said we looked good at high speed and perhaps not so good at low speeds.

We know this was an issue in recent years so wondered what data or analysis was available?

I thought the car visually looked better than some in the more sweeping sections and given our Barcelona positives you would think some tracks will really suit us and some less so- but I thought James Key had said they had put some work into their low speed performance so any data would be great to see.

Conscious that we were limited by brake issues so not as easy as a “normal” test.

DragonSGC
DragonSGC

Mansell89 wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 14:44
Do we have any mini sector breakdowns of our performance in Bahrain guys?

Watched a brief review and it was said we looked good at high speed and perhaps not so good at low speeds.

We know this was an issue in recent years so wondered what data or analysis was available?

I thought the car visually looked better than some in the more sweeping sections and given our Barcelona positives you would think some tracks will really suit us and some less so- but I thought James Key had said they had put some work into their low speed performance so any data would be great to see.

Conscious that we were limited by brake issues so not as easy as a “normal” test.
The poor low speed performance could definitely be exacerbated by the braking issue, at least visually from what I saw we looked good, maybe not the best but nice and tidy into T8 and T10(when the brakes did work), while not really low speed the nose changes direction quite fast when coming off the kerbs out of T7 setting up for T8 and that was something that was remarked by journo's about how the car performed in t2/t3

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Does anyone have a video of Lando's fastest time yesterday? Just curious to see if there's more to be encouraged about. Did he make a mistake, hit traffic or lift off?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

bauc

mwillems wrote:
EddyBaggio wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:

The hole assembly tears apart due to the extreme heat that is why you have seen they have applied that red silicon which can withstand huge temperatures and still hold materials in place (I know, I've fixed my Brick oven with the same :mrgreen: )
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

bauc

Darth-Piekus wrote:
No, car fundamentals were proven ok in Barcelona, Bahrein heat and sand storm(lot of dust & debris) have exploited the weakness in design of the brake cooling unit, which was already partially fixed yesterday and a full fix is expected for race1.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

the EDGE
the EDGE

bauc wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 15:15
Darth-Piekus wrote:
No, car fundamentals were proven ok in Barcelona, Bahrein heat and sand storm(lot of dust & debris) have exploited the weakness in design of the brake cooling unit, which was already partially fixed yesterday and a full fix is expected for race1.
The issue wasn’t the Bahraini heat, it was the huge demand this circuit puts on braking, +20’ ambient temperature has little effect on 1000’ bake temps, other than that, I’d agree there is no other signs of reliability issues at this stage

JPower
JPower

runningmanz wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 02:53
Funny how many have written us off already. We have alot more to come and I can't help feeling we are sandbagging quite alot. Guys like Seidl and Key are highly rated and know how to get things done. Seidl guided McLaren back to where they now from 6th and also as Porsche team principal helped them win 3 WEC manufacturers titles in a row. Key mentioned by many as the successor to Newey as the best car designer in F1. We have assembled a very good team and will get on top of this braking issue that was referred to as not a fundamental problem anyway. That time on day 1 at Barca sticks out alot with a baseline car that was nowhere near dialed in. Can't wait to shock a few of the naysayers in the next few weeks.
Who has written off McLaren? The vast majority of opinions I’ve seen have put them in 4th right now, despite the brake issues.