2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
cliffgamerz
cliffgamerz

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Ground Effect wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 15:06
Does anyone have a video of Lando's fastest time yesterday? Just curious to see if there's more to be encouraged about. Did he make a mistake, hit traffic or lift off?
I had watched the entire 3 days of testing and i can confirm that Lando on his fastest lap he set on C3 tires had made an mistake of running slightly wide at turn 11 and he had to lift off gently to make correction which in turn he lost time before reaching sector 2 timing checkpoint, he also lost a bit of momentum heading into final section of track, so basically it wasn't a clean lap, he could have lost around 3 tenths maybe. So i am hopeful by the performance he showed with a compromised car with brakes. He had a run on C4 soft compound later on but he didn't improve his time but i think full lap wasn't shown as per my memory and sector 1 time was within a tenth of Max but his warm up laps/previous attempts were compromised by some obstruction with Russell as they had ruined each others laps for 3 consecutive laps so his soft tire runs were on used tires.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Very surprised at the negativity around here...Seidl was very confident that it is not a fundamental issue. As long as they are able to complete a race distance, porpoising is going to be a much tougher problem to solve and they have a headstart there. I expect them to comfortably make Q3 next week

genarro
genarro

Macklaren wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 16:22
Very surprised at the negativity around here...Seidl was very confident that it is not a fundamental issue. As long as they are able to complete a race distance, porpoising is going to be a much tougher problem to solve and they have a headstart there. I expect them to comfortably make Q3 next week
We are all die hard fans here. We anticipated a brilliant testing and probably fast times. And we didn't got that. So that's the reasoning for the negativity. The car is fast and well developed. An upgrade is in the pipework and the braking issue will be amended.

Mclaren is our team and we have to have faith. Even if the Bahrain gp will be bad we still have to trust them they are going the right direction

mwillems

bauc wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 15:10
mwillems wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 11:34
EddyBaggio wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 01:06

Yes. I think the brake issue is huge.

Probably fine in the colder races, but next weekend will be tuff. A struggle to get to Q3.
Didn't they say the full fix comes next week and that this is just a partial fix?

Seems like the whole exit duct is overheating, there isn't enough airflow through to cool the brakes enough, but is it that the brakes are suffering or that the ducting itself is breaking up under the heat?
The hole assembly tears apart due to the extreme heat that is why you have seen they have applied that red silicon which can withstand huge temperatures and still hold materials in place (I know, I've fixed my Brick oven with the same :mrgreen: )
That's what I though, in fact I put that into the car thread on Thursday but PhilipM said that it was the cake tins rubbing against the brakes, but now it is clear it is something more.

Is it that the ducting simply needs reinforcing or is it that they need reinforcing and there needs to be more air throughput?
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

bauc

mwillems wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 16:44
bauc wrote:
mwillems wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 11:34

Didn't they say the full fix comes next week and that this is just a partial fix?

Seems like the whole exit duct is overheating, there isn't enough airflow through to cool the brakes enough, but is it that the brakes are suffering or that the ducting itself is breaking up under the heat?
The hole assembly tears apart due to the extreme heat that is why you have seen they have applied that red silicon which can withstand huge temperatures and still hold materials in place (I know, I've fixed my Brick oven with the same :mrgreen: )
That's what I though, in fact I put that into the car thread on Thursday but PhilipM said that it was the cake tins rubbing against the brakes, but now it is clear it is something more.

Is it that the ducting simply needs reinforcing or is it that they need reinforcing and there needs to be more air throughput?
My 5 cents will go on the more air volume required
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

bauc

the EDGE wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 15:21
bauc wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 15:15
Darth-Piekus wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 00:59
Is it possible they made a huge mistake like in 2018 car?
No, car fundamentals were proven ok in Barcelona, Bahrein heat and sand storm(lot of dust & debris) have exploited the weakness in design of the brake cooling unit, which was already partially fixed yesterday and a full fix is expected for race1.
The issue wasn’t the Bahraini heat, it was the huge demand this circuit puts on braking, +20’ ambient temperature has little effect on 1000’ bake temps, other than that, I’d agree there is no other signs of reliability issues at this stage
Yes, you are correct, I've missed to point out above that the Bahrain track has one of the most demanding braking zones in the calendar.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mwillems

bauc wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 17:31
mwillems wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 16:44
bauc wrote:

My 5 cents will go on the more air volume required
Given the amount of brake dust created I wondered if there would be blockages in those small pipes.... if it was able to build up then that could be catastrophic.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Big Tea

Zynerji wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 00:21
Can the McL brake problems be as deep as the wake profile of the front wing causing interference, or is it simple internal ducting?
They have standardised wheel covers now too, so it is not as easy as letting more air through
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Emag
Emag

I might have missed this, but I saw someone claiming that during the last day of testing Lando was starting a very good lap on C3s being a tenth down on Max's time on the first sector before getting hampered by a Mercedes and aborting.

Could anyone who had the chance to follow testing closer than me confirm if this actually happened?

Edit: For reference, Lando was 0.6 down on Max's sector 1 time on his registered fastest lap. So that's 0.5 improvement only on the first sector. If this really happened then it's very promising for McLaren. If he ended that lap at around 0.7-1s down on Max, considering the tire delta, it would put them at a decent position (discounting here the unknown fuel loads).

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

Emag wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 21:06
I might have missed this, but I saw someone claiming that during the last day of testing Lando was starting a very good lap on C3s being a tenth down on Max's time on the first sector before getting hampered by a Mercedes and aborting.

Could anyone who had the chance to follow testing closer than me confirm if this actually happened?

Edit: For reference, Lando was 0.6 down on Max's sector 1 time on his fastest lap. So that's 0.5 only on the first sector. If this really happened then it's very promising for McLaren.
I was watching and it's true that Lando and Russell did trip over each other a couple of times causing them both to compromise each other's laps, I didn't see lando's sector time when it happened though sorry.

Emag
Emag

Marty_Y wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 21:15
Emag wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 21:06

Edit: For reference, Lando was 0.6 down on Max's sector 1 time on his fastest lap. So that's 0.5 only on the first sector. If this really happened then it's very promising for McLaren.
I was watching and it's true that Lando and Russell did trip over each other a couple of times causing them both to compromise each other's laps, I didn't see lando's sector time when it happened though sorry.
Yeah, just confirmed it in the autosport live coverage. So they did ruin each-others laps towards the end of the day. Will try to find possible sector times though, be back with an update soon.

Marc.W

Rewatched the testing at that part, Lando (C3) was only .193 down in S1 on Leclercs fastest of 29.509 (C4) but aborted later due to understeer at T11

Emag
Emag

Marc.W wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 21:35
Rewatched the testing at that part, Lando (C3) was only .193 down in S1 on Leclercs fastest of 29.509 (C4) but aborted later due to understeer at T11
Yep that's the only one I could find as well. He was orange on S1 for his last and fastest lap of that day though, so there was still more pace in it if he had put it together.

Marc.W

Emag wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 21:41
Marc.W wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 21:35
Yep that's the only one I could find as well. He was orange on S1 for his last and fastest lap of that day though, so there was still more pace in it if he had put it together.
By the looks of it, the tyres had done a number of laps, so definitely some outright pace left on the table.

I don't know, ever since day 1 in Barcelona, it feels like McLaren have really hidden their pace deliberately, I hope that's the case [-o<

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

If 0.1 leads to around 0.5s down on the RB18 then that would tie in roughly with long run pace difference too. Don’t think we are leading the pack by any stretch but we are in good shape. Naturally NOR wants to temper excitement and spur the team on to improve performance asap. The car looks good imho except perhaps the low speed, but all teams looks horrid on high fuel in slow corners when the venturi tunnels stop working. Moderately optimistic we haven’t slipped backwards and if anything we are closer to the cars in front