2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
runningmanz
runningmanz

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

JPower wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 15:55
runningmanz wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 02:53
Funny how many have written us off already. We have alot more to come and I can't help feeling we are sandbagging quite alot. Guys like Seidl and Key are highly rated and know how to get things done. Seidl guided McLaren back to where they now from 6th and also as Porsche team principal helped them win 3 WEC manufacturers titles in a row. Key mentioned by many as the successor to Newey as the best car designer in F1. We have assembled a very good team and will get on top of this braking issue that was referred to as not a fundamental problem anyway. That time on day 1 at Barca sticks out alot with a baseline car that was nowhere near dialed in. Can't wait to shock a few of the naysayers in the next few weeks.
Who has written off McLaren? The vast majority of opinions I’ve seen have put them in 4th right now, despite the brake issues.
Seen a few on other forums putting us in the midfield or even worse. I'd like to think we are better than 4th as it gives the feeling that we haven't improved and are just treading water. At least 3rd or better still even equal second, basically making more progress again this year to close the gap to the front which is the aim reiterated by Seidl. I guess we will find out soon!

genarro
genarro

runningmanz wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 23:25
JPower wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 15:55
runningmanz wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 02:53
Funny how many have written us off already. We have alot more to come and I can't help feeling we are sandbagging quite alot. Guys like Seidl and Key are highly rated and know how to get things done. Seidl guided McLaren back to where they now from 6th and also as Porsche team principal helped them win 3 WEC manufacturers titles in a row. Key mentioned by many as the successor to Newey as the best car designer in F1. We have assembled a very good team and will get on top of this braking issue that was referred to as not a fundamental problem anyway. That time on day 1 at Barca sticks out alot with a baseline car that was nowhere near dialed in. Can't wait to shock a few of the naysayers in the next few weeks.
Who has written off McLaren? The vast majority of opinions I’ve seen have put them in 4th right now, despite the brake issues.
Seen a few on other forums putting us in the midfield or even worse. I'd like to think we are better than 4th as it gives the feeling that we haven't improved and are just treading water. At least 3rd or better still even equal second, basically making more progress again this year to close the gap to the front which is the aim reiterated by Seidl. I guess we will find out soon!
If we are 4th but only trailing .5 sec on race pace then the objectives are completed. Seidl would rather be 4th and be almost on par with the fastest team than be 3rd and be way off the pace.

mwillems

Even the Sky coolnnentators put us 4th.

I'd just wait and see, nobody knows. You can have a suoerfast cat but if it is twitchy, all it needs is one run wide to ruin qualy or a spin out in the race to throw it all away. Our car at least is consistent and handles well.
Last edited by mwillems on 14 Mar 2022, 11:00, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

RB and Ferrari do look solid, but I think we look more stable than others and fast to go with it.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Motörhead
Motörhead

Emag wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 21:06
I might have missed this, but I saw someone claiming that during the last day of testing Lando was starting a very good lap on C3s being a tenth down on Max's time on the first sector before getting hampered by a Mercedes and aborting.

Could anyone who had the chance to follow testing closer than me confirm if this actually happened?

Edit: For reference, Lando was 0.6 down on Max's sector 1 time on his registered fastest lap. So that's 0.5 improvement only on the first sector. If this really happened then it's very promising for McLaren. If he ended that lap at around 0.7-1s down on Max, considering the tire delta, it would put them at a decent position (discounting here the unknown fuel loads).
I can indeed confirm that i saw the same.
Fairly Late in Day three, Set of C3’s. 1st sector time of +0.119 or there abouts to Verstappen.
I remember getting all excited but then he had to bail out of it as he either ran wide or it was the George Russell incident.
My memory is a little sketchy but I’m sure i wasn’t hallucinating!

EddyBaggio

Motörhead wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 11:17
Emag wrote:
I might have missed this, but I saw someone claiming that during the last day of testing Lando was starting a very good lap on C3s being a tenth down on Max's time on the first sector before getting hampered by a Mercedes and aborting.

Could anyone who had the chance to follow testing closer than me confirm if this actually happened?

Edit: For reference, Lando was 0.6 down on Max's sector 1 time on his registered fastest lap. So that's 0.5 improvement only on the first sector. If this really happened then it's very promising for McLaren. If he ended that lap at around 0.7-1s down on Max, considering the tire delta, it would put them at a decent position (discounting here the unknown fuel loads).
Fairly Late in Day three, Set of C3’s. 1st sector time of +0.119 or there abouts to Verstappen.
I remember getting all excited but then he had to bail out of it as he either ran wide or it was the George Russell incident.
So one (no so) fast sector is all we basing our ”speed” on :) then HAAS could be in podium territory on Sunday ;) hehe

Emag
Emag

EddyBaggio wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 11:21
Motörhead wrote:
Emag wrote:

So one (no so) fast sector is all we basing our ”speed” on :) then HAAS could be in podium territory on Sunday ;) hehe
I mean, if that really happened, accounting for tire delta he would have probably had the fastest sector 1 times. So I don't know why you would call it 'not so fast'.

MrGapes

I wonder how much time they would yield with the brake solution, the long runs were alright (considering Lando had to manage the brakes), and PhillipM mentioned how the fast laps are not going to be very representative because Lando wouldn't be able to trail brake due to additional cooling elements. I don't actually know if their is a upgrade package, if there is I would imagine its a small one.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Motörhead wrote:
Emag wrote:

You weren’t. I saw it too. The RUS “infraction” on the right hand turn (can’t remember the corner number) scuppered the lap. It was 0.1x of VER time and he was on a scrubbed set of C3s.

NiyolHuayra
NiyolHuayra

McLaren “heavily compromised” by brake problems in test – Seidl

https://www.racefans.net/2022/03/14/mcl ... 332XVYMsfE

Emag
Emag

NiyolHuayra wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 13:20
McLaren “heavily compromised” by brake problems in test – Seidl

https://www.racefans.net/2022/03/14/mcl ... 332XVYMsfE
That's pretty much what I have been trying to say these last couple of days. This test wasn't a complete write off, but all they did was make the best out of a very bad situation. It's delusional to say that it didn't hamper the team and I am glad Andreas has come out and straight out admitted that it did hurt them.

No matter though. They should have the resources to get on top of this. I have faith they will have a solution ready for the race, and both Lando and Daniel are very experienced drivers (regardless of dips they might have had over the years) and I expect them to be on top of their game this weekend.

adrianjordan

Hey, doom and gloomers. Remember 2011. Overheating problems plagued McLaren in testing - that time their "octopus" exhaust.

Come first race, quick fix solution fitted, only went and won the bloody race.

Not saying we're going to be fighting for victory next week, but come on. Every team has had issues in testing at one time or another. It happens. It's how the team learns from the problems that matters.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

adrianjordan

Sometimes there is more unnecessary drama in this thread than all 4 seasons of DTS combined!!! 😝
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Emag
Emag

adrianjordan wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 14:21
Hey, doom and gloomers. Remember 2011. Overheating problems plagued McLaren in testing - that time their "octopus" exhaust.

Come first race, quick fix solution fitted, only went and won the bloody race.

Not saying we're going to be fighting for victory next week, but come on. Every team has had issues in testing at one time or another. It happens. It's how the team learns from the problems that matters.
Ah, 2011. Simpler times back then :lol:

billamend
billamend

Really good podcast with Lando Norris https://www.thehighperformancepodcast.c ... andonorris

Last edited by billamend on 14 Mar 2022, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.