2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Emag
Emag

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This is the only full-ish onboard I could find with Lando.

It's not that bad here, but you can definitely notice understeer. But honestly, that could be because of fuel, setup, used tires or the braking issue not allowing Lando to stop the car properly. Anyway, other than that it looks fairly well balanced. Not many "nasty surprises" on the wheel.

McFAN
McFAN

From The-race.

"Assuming the new brake ducts arrive in time and work as McLaren need them to, the second silver lining from this test will be relevant: the car looks fast.

Norris’s fastest lap on the final day did not really give an accurate account of the MCL36’s performance, hence he was only ninth overall and McLaren eighth of the 10 teams.

The McLaren is probably not on the Red Bull/Ferrari level but is free of the impossibly tight midfield and maybe on a par or even quicker than the compromised Mercedes. Norris’s longer running on Saturday certainly hinted it might be.

How quick McLaren will be in Bahrain, where it will finish and whether it will finish it all comes down to the solution it will bring for the cause of its testing troubles. Getting that right is McLaren’s most pressing concern."

Full article
https://the-race.com/formula-1/where-mc ... efighting/

Emag
Emag

Yeah I saw that. Not sure if McLaren has the available facilities to test their solutions for this sort of problem on their factory? It would be ideal to have a couple tested and validated options ready when they get to racing.

If the problem is dealt with swiftly, they can recover lost time immediately on friday and start optimizing the setup for quali and long-run pace on sunday.

runningmanz
runningmanz

Motörhead wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 11:17
Emag wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 21:06
I might have missed this, but I saw someone claiming that during the last day of testing Lando was starting a very good lap on C3s being a tenth down on Max's time on the first sector before getting hampered by a Mercedes and aborting.

Could anyone who had the chance to follow testing closer than me confirm if this actually happened?

Edit: For reference, Lando was 0.6 down on Max's sector 1 time on his registered fastest lap. So that's 0.5 improvement only on the first sector. If this really happened then it's very promising for McLaren. If he ended that lap at around 0.7-1s down on Max, considering the tire delta, it would put them at a decent position (discounting here the unknown fuel loads).
I can indeed confirm that i saw the same.
Fairly Late in Day three, Set of C3’s. 1st sector time of +0.119 or there abouts to Verstappen.
I remember getting all excited but then he had to bail out of it as he either ran wide or it was the George Russell incident.
My memory is a little sketchy but I’m sure i wasn’t hallucinating!
Yeah I saw it too. Was almost 3am and I was waiting for Lando to bang in a quick lap to end the test. Like you I was excited at that first sector, was like we are on here but alas got compromised by I think Russell. We have a fast car imo just haven't shown it for various reasons other than day 1 Barcelona. God this weekend can't come soon enough!!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Norris, Verstappen and Leclerc fastest mini sectors (considering their fastest lap):

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Lando, Charles and Max… Fastest Laps Day 3 testing telemetry:

Emag
Emag

SmallSoldier wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 17:19
Norris, Verstappen and Leclerc fastest mini sectors (considering their fastest lap):

https://i.imgur.com/tBLLCd6.jpg
What a wierd set of best splits for Lando.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Emag wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 17:25
SmallSoldier wrote:

trying to compare any non-competitive laps is always going to be futile, there are just to many variables to take into account

best to wait to Q3

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

the EDGE wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 17:58
Emag wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

trying to compare any non-competitive laps is always going to be futile, there are just to many variables to take into account

best to wait to Q3
Just providing some data for the forum

Race Pace according to Formula1.com

PhillipM
PhillipM

Emag wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 16:03
Yeah I saw that. Not sure if McLaren has the available facilities to test their solutions for this sort of problem on their factory? It would be ideal to have a couple tested and validated options ready when they get to racing.

If the problem is dealt with swiftly, they can recover lost time immediately on friday and start optimizing the setup for quali and long-run pace on sunday.
They already had loads of different brake duct and winglet setups to test so they must know they were on the edge pre-testing - I mentioned that about a month back.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

SmallSoldier wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 18:40
the EDGE wrote:
Emag wrote:

best to wait to Q3

Race Pace according to Formula1.com

https://i.imgur.com/eXsLC7N.jpg
Did they say how they determined McLaren’s race pace?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

the EDGE
the EDGE

SmallSoldier wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 18:40
the EDGE wrote:
Emag wrote:

best to wait to Q3

Valid point… I’ll keep quiet now 😂

Emag
Emag

Ground Effect wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 19:04
Did they say how they determined McLaren’s race pace?
It's complete guess work. They were quite wrong last year with this prediction too. If I recall correctly, last year they put Ferrari behind Alfa Romeo and McLaren on par with Mercedes.

vas_04614
vas_04614

SmallSoldier wrote:
Lando, Charles and Max… Fastest Laps Day 3 testing telemetry:

https://i.imgur.com/CfoKHrV.jpg
VER curve looks smoother before high speed braking zones barring little in Turn1 : Not much of porpoising i guess
LEC curve is most wobbly of the lot and their top speed is also lower : So, will it be more bad if they turn their PU up!!
NOR is smoother but not as much as VER.

VER has better acceleration out of corners and NOR is last in all 3 : tyre difference may be!!!

PhillipM
PhillipM

Tbh I think they're way out there, I wouldn't be too surprised to see Aston behind the williams for a start.