2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AeroDynamic

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This (RBR/Ferrari) discussion belongs in winter test thread or RBR thread rather than Mercedes’ thread.

atanatizante

Some questions:

1. This porpoising effect affects W13 car only on high fuel levels due to the car being heavier it lowers under the weight? Hence they can raise the ride height but lose too much performance ...
2. What`s the W13 behaviour on 2022 Pirelli tyres? Has the car the same gentle tyre management, bearing in mind these year tyres are harder than last year (regarding tyre compound), which force the teams to consider more towards the 1 stop race strategy?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

shamyakovic
shamyakovic

atanatizante wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 15:22
Some questions:

1. This porpoising effect affects W13 car only on high fuel levels due to the car being heavier it lowers under the weight? Hence they can raise the ride height but lose too much performance ...
2. What`s the W13 behaviour on 2022 Pirelli tyres? Has the car the same gentle tyre management, bearing in mind these year tyres are harder than last year (regarding tyre compound), which force the teams to consider more towards the 1 stop race strategy?
But Lewis on Day 3 and George on Day 2 had long runs, in that the car was very stable.. Its when they did short runs it became a huge problem

Jambier

shamyakovic wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 16:13
atanatizante wrote:
Some questions:

But Lewis on Day 3 and George on Day 2 had long runs, in that the car was very stable.. Its when they did short runs it became a huge problem
Balance is hard to find, Permane said Alpine knows how to control porpoising. But not to stop it, they know how to stop it, or make it happen, and the key is to find when it creates problem and when it creates speed

Setup will be hard to find for a race, with two kind of tyres being used, full of fuel and empty, all with the same setup, and being able to get on curbs as well.

The first team to complete this puzzle will be ahead at start of the season, it is more important than aero or engine performance for now

NicoS

shamyakovic wrote:
atanatizante wrote:
Some questions:

Even a wheelbarrow with a buckled wheel is stable when going slow.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

NicoS wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 20:22
shamyakovic wrote:
atanatizante wrote:
Some questions:

It's not stable, it's just that the instability is easier to control at low speed. From someone that uses wheelbarrows regularly and not all of them have good wheels. :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zibby43
zibby43

Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 00:13
NicoS wrote:
shamyakovic wrote:

It's not stable, it's just that the instability is easier to control at low speed. From someone that uses wheelbarrows regularly and not all of them have good wheels. :lol:
Shovlin said that right now, the car seems better on the softer compounds.

I’m tending to move toward your opinion that the team won’t be competing for wins early this season. Mattia made some very revealing comments today that made clear both RBR and Ferrari’s strength. Merc wasn’t even mentioned as a threat.

shamyakovic
shamyakovic

zibby43 wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 02:06
Just_a_fan wrote:
NicoS wrote:

I’m tending to move toward your opinion that the team won’t be competing for wins early this season. Mattia made some very revealing comments today that made clear both RBR and Ferrari’s strength. Merc wasn’t even mentioned as a threat.
Binotto told Sky Italia: “I heard someone saying we’re the favourites. The others are the favourites, they’re the World Champions, who with the Drivers’, who with the Constructors’.

Mattia Binotto believes Ferrari is seen as the “outsiders” in the title battle heading into 2022 despite a very strong pre-season.

Ferrari hit the ground running in Barcelona and was competitive throughout the first test, although Mercedes went quickest late in the opening week.

More consistent running in Bahrain continued the positive atmosphere around Ferrari and team principal Binotto accepts the signs are positive heading into the opening race weekend but says Red Bull and Mercedes have to be seen as the benchmark.

“No, not at all, I think we are not the favorites,” Binotto said. “I think the favorites are the teams that were the best last year because they are strong teams, they have proved they can be very fast, they’ve got a fantastic team and again on track I think they are showing that they are very, very fast.
https://racer.com/2022/03/15/binotto-ra ... into-2022/
https://www.planetf1.com/news/mattia-bi ... re-season/

He literally said that Merc and Redbull are the favorites

zibby43
zibby43

shamyakovic wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 02:21
zibby43 wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 02:06
Just_a_fan wrote:

Binotto told Sky Italia: “I heard someone saying we’re the favourites. The others are the favourites, they’re the World Champions, who with the Drivers’, who with the Constructors’.

Mattia Binotto believes Ferrari is seen as the “outsiders” in the title battle heading into 2022 despite a very strong pre-season.

Ferrari hit the ground running in Barcelona and was competitive throughout the first test, although Mercedes went quickest late in the opening week.

More consistent running in Bahrain continued the positive atmosphere around Ferrari and team principal Binotto accepts the signs are positive heading into the opening race weekend but says Red Bull and Mercedes have to be seen as the benchmark.

“No, not at all, I think we are not the favorites,” Binotto said. “I think the favorites are the teams that were the best last year because they are strong teams, they have proved they can be very fast, they’ve got a fantastic team and again on track I think they are showing that they are very, very fast.
https://racer.com/2022/03/15/binotto-ra ... into-2022/
https://www.planetf1.com/news/mattia-bi ... re-season/

He literally said that Merc and Redbull are the favorites
Old news, chief.

JPower
JPower

zibby43 wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 03:30

Old news, chief.

https://twitter.com/vetteleclerc/status ... 40514?s=21
He also said in the Formu1a.uno article from today:

"I think Red Bull is very strong and maybe Mercedes will surprise us all"

zibby43
zibby43

JPower wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 04:24
zibby43 wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 03:30

Old news, chief.

https://twitter.com/vetteleclerc/status ... 40514?s=21
He also said in the Formu1a.uno article from today:

"I think Red Bull is very strong and maybe Mercedes will surprise us all"
Thanks for the additional context. Pretty backhanded compliment (?) to Merc, especially as surprises can go two ways.

pursue_one's

Mercedes(W13)' mirrors have been declared legal by the FIA and will be allowed to use them in the Bahrain GP
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-me ... i/9043806/

AeroDynamic

Too bad the report comes from someone who has a poor track record for credibility. But on balance of the whole situation in mind with the FIA having approved Mercedes intentions in the first place, I anticipate this will probably turn out to be true.

LM10
LM10

AeroDynamic wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 16:36
Too bad the report comes from someone who has a poor track record for credibility. But on balance of the whole situation in mind with the FIA having approved Mercedes intentions in the first place, I anticipate this will probably turn out to be true.
I think there has never been a serious doubt of the Mercedes concept not being FIA approved. Teams know the FIA looked at it way beforehand. However, this does not necessarily mean that it won't get banned at some point later on. This could happen simply because other teams could bring convincing arguments the FIA did not think about, for example.
For the sake of racing and competitiveness, I hope that it won't get banned in the middle of the season, if any.

dans79

LM10 wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 17:26
AeroDynamic wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 16:36
I think there has never been a serious doubt of the Mercedes concept not being FIA approved. Teams know the FIA looked at it way beforehand. However, this does not necessarily mean that it won't get banned at some point later on. This could happen simply because other teams could bring convincing arguments the FIA did not think about, for example.
For the sake of racing and competitiveness, I hope that it won't get banned in the middle of the season, if any.
Honestly, I don't think the FIA cares, because it doesn't offer any kind of meaningful advantage currently. I think it's not much different to Fric. It was introduced in 2011, but didn't get banned till 2014, when other teams where really pushing the boundaries of legality.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/formu ... 9/5050989/
In the note, a copy of which has been seen by AUTOSPORT, FIA technical delegate Charlie Whiting said: "Having now seen and studied nearly every current design of front to rear linked suspension system we, the FIA, are formally of the view that the legality of all such systems could be called into question."

Whiting suggests that the way the suspension systems help control pitch and roll could be in breach of article 3.15 of F1's technical regulations.

Article 3.15 is the catch-all regulation that relates to moveable aerodynamic devices. It outlaws any part of the car that influences the aerodynamics that is not "rigidly secured to the entirely sprung part of the car (rigidly secured means not having any degree of freedom)."
201 105 104 9 9 7