2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Macklaren
Macklaren

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Emag wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 17:55
I think they will be advertising the Google Pixel specifically, not just Android in general.

And I don't know how long you have stayed in the Apple ecosystem my man, but Android has improved massively over the years. It's just as nice of a user experience as iOS, particularly on the pixel phones which keep the OS very close to stock.
As a McLaren obsessed Pixel user who has been driving Audis for 11 years, recent headlines have been music to my ears :D

frosty125
frosty125

Great job by the team. I think Zak is a great organisational leader but his commercial and marketing nous really does shine through.

He has been putting McLaren Racing on a consistently stronger financial footing.

Let's also not forget he was instrumental in getting the cost cap in place which has transformed the sport and the team's competitiveness.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Android and Chrome branding will be carried on the engine cover and wheel covers of the MCL36 Formula 1 race cars, and on the helmets and race suits of McLaren Formula 1 drivers Lando Norris and Daniel Ricciardo from the 2022 Formula 1 season

diffuser

the EDGE wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 17:15
cbbcisace wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 17:11
SmallSoldier wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 16:59
Love how the Team quietly goes about doing their business… The timing of the partnership is not surprising since all eyes are on F1 this week with the first race of the season and the fact that most excitement for the new cars (reveals) have dwindled a bit after we have had a chance to watch them on track during testing.

Hope the sponsorship is sizable and wonder how the car will look and/if any changes come with it in terms of the livery.
“Under the deal to be announced on Wednesday, Google's Android-branded devices and Chrome operating system will receive prominent exposure and be adopted by the McLaren team, according to a person close to the deal”
They have to use Android OS phones…? Poor guys 🤣
Maybe you're Apple screen is hard to read(LOL) but that's says "Google's Android-branded devices" so they have to use an Google Pixel. Android OS phones would be like saying they have a choice of 1000 phones.

Chrome operating system wonder if that limits them to the Chromebook Pixelbook Go, which really hasn't been upated in a couple of years.

Is Dell Gone ? nope, I see them on the nose. So they'll run the Latest Dell Chromebook.
Last edited by diffuser on 16 Mar 2022, 19:01, edited 3 times in total.

Macklaren
Macklaren

There are quite a few colors on that livery now ☹️ but I don't care... This is great for the team and for F1

the EDGE
the EDGE

SmallSoldier wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 18:34
Now we know why the changes the airbox to black… car looks super cool 😎

_cerber1

How much money? :roll:

Xero

It does ruin the livery a little bit, but I do love the chrome logo colours on the wheel cover. Clever use! Just wish that android logo was all white.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Awesome use of wheel rim- looks smart.

Shame we have to have the black section in the middle now for advertising platform but performance is key and solid financials help that!

I have always thought papaya is a tough colour for marketing print- wonder if we could be more innovative though?

genarro
genarro

SmallSoldier wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 18:34
Zak you absolute beauty

cliffgamerz
cliffgamerz

Helmut was right they ran on low fuel on first test to get sponsors :wink: , He might be crying now for saying that. Thank you Zak.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/f1/news-hel ... 22-testing.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

The Google deal apparently was in the works for at least a couple of years… According to Randy, they visit Google 2 years ago for their first meetings

mwillems

cliffgamerz wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 20:42
Helmut was right they ran on low fuel on first test to get sponsors :wink: , He might be crying now for saying that. Thank you Zak.

Let's not kid ourselves, RB can demand a bigger rate card than us and I'd be surprised if the Oracle deal isn't bigger than the Google deal.

But it is a great brand. Whom else does google sponsor outside of the US? Feels like it is a rarity for Google to sponsor a non US Team or Sporting event. Is this because F1 is a rising sport in the USA now?
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 21:01
cliffgamerz wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 20:42

Let's not kid ourselves, RB can demand a bigger rate card than us and I'd be surprised if the Oracle deal isn't bigger than the Google deal.

But it is a great brand. Whom else does google sponsor outside of the US? Feels like it is a rarity for Google to sponsor a non US Team or Sporting event. Is this because F1 is a rising sport in the USA now?
The Oracle deal is larger for sure, it is actually a “Title Sponsor”, you could argue that Google is a prominent sponsor for McLaren, but the team hasn’t renamed itself as Google McLaren Racing or similar… So yes, I’m sure that the deal is for a considerable lesser amount of money.

But, it’s interesting because I don’t think Google sponsors motor racing much (not that I have seeing at least)… The fact that F1 is gaining traction in the US might help, but the reality is that Google / Android is a global brand, I don’t think it is related to an increase of US fans or exposure.