2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Oracle was a partner for Red Bull before they jumped to title sponsor. You never know the same might happen between Google and Mclaren in a season or two
Just a fan's point of view

Macklaren
Macklaren

Between Google and BAT it is very likely that McLaren is getting more money than Oracle for RBR or Cognizant/Aramco for AMR. and without having to rebrand the team! Will be interesting if Joe Saward has more intel on numbers...

wesley123
wesley123

cliffgamerz wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 20:42
Helmut was right they ran on low fuel on first test to get sponsors :wink: , He might be crying now for saying that. Thank you Zak.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/f1/news-hel ... 22-testing.
A sponsorship deal like this definitely isnt drawn up in two weeks.

But it is a great brand. Whom else does google sponsor outside of the US? Feels like it is a rarity for Google to sponsor a non US Team or Sporting event. Is this because F1 is a rising sport in the USA now?
Who does Google sponsor to begin with? I'm probably missing something, but as far as I'm aware Google's sponsorship doesn't go much past student projects.

Considering Google itself, it makes me wonder what they could possibly ever gain from this sponsorship?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I'm thrilled with the team bringing such a big brand like Google. I was pretty disappointed when we weren't getting news of signings on the level of the last few seasons. In fact, it seemed we were shedding sponsors. When pre season came without any major additions, I thought that was it for the season. At this rate, we might get 1 or 2 more before Friday, you never know.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

mwillems wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 21:01
cliffgamerz wrote:
Helmut was right they ran on low fuel on first test to get sponsors :wink: , He might be crying now for saying that. Thank you Zak.

Let's not kid ourselves, RB can demand a bigger rate card than us and I'd be surprised if the Oracle deal isn't bigger than the Google deal.
I think people might be focusing too much on the cash value of the sponsorships and not the finer details.
Red Bull's race simulations are being run through Oracle's cloud infrastructure. Google might offer McLaren a deal to use Google Cloud at some point, alongside it's AI and machine learning tools.
But it is a great brand. Whom else does google sponsor outside of the US? Feels like it is a rarity for Google to sponsor a non US Team or Sporting event. Is this because F1 is a rising sport in the USA now?
The English FA has a 4 year deal with Google Cloud (signed in 2019, guess it'll be renewed).
https://cloud.google.com/customers/featured/the-fa

I think the coup for McLaren is getting Google itself to sponsor the team and not through it's Cloud division.
Could well be that F1 is gaining traction in the US, but F1 has a global audience so that probably factors into it as well. Anyway here's hoping there's a McLaren branded Chromebook.

Darth-Piekus

This is a little off topic but what would have happened if Zak Brown was in charge back in 2007 with Adreas Seidl and his own technical team plus Andrian Newey. How would he differently handle the situation between Alonso and Hamilton? The Spygate which was a personal attempt from Max Mosley to cause damage to Ron Dennis due to their vendetta, would that happen without Ron Dennis? Also would Mercedes trully leave without the Spygate fine and Ron Dennis puting obstacles in Mercedes buying a part of Mclaren.

McL-H
McL-H

One of the most dangerous companies in the world. A sad day to see them linked to my favourite team now…

Darth-Piekus

As long as it brings a huge amount of money like the big sponsors of the past that we had (Texaco,Marlboro,West,Vodafone) then it's good for me.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Silicon valley as a whole is a law unto itself. Most people use google products, even if you don't realise it.
McLaren have struck a good deal for the team, there are far worse companies out there.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 21:13
mwillems wrote:
cliffgamerz wrote:

Let's not kid ourselves, RB can demand a bigger rate card than us and I'd be surprised if the Oracle deal isn't bigger than the Google deal.

The Oracle deal is larger for sure, it is actually a “Title Sponsor”, you could argue that Google is a prominent sponsor for McLaren, but the team hasn’t renamed itself as Google McLaren Racing or similar… So yes, I’m sure that the deal is for a considerable lesser amount of money.

But, it’s interesting because I don’t think Google sponsors motor racing much (not that I have seeing at least)… The fact that F1 is gaining traction in the US might help, but the reality is that Google / Android is a global brand, I don’t think it is related to an increase of US fans or exposure.
Possibly not but as far as I can tell is less common for Google sponsorship to be seen outside of the US market, so that is something I find interesting.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 23:10
SmallSoldier wrote:
mwillems wrote:

The Oracle deal is larger for sure, it is actually a “Title Sponsor”, you could argue that Google is a prominent sponsor for McLaren, but the team hasn’t renamed itself as Google McLaren Racing or similar… So yes, I’m sure that the deal is for a considerable lesser amount of money.

But, it’s interesting because I don’t think Google sponsors motor racing much (not that I have seeing at least)… The fact that F1 is gaining traction in the US might help, but the reality is that Google / Android is a global brand, I don’t think it is related to an increase of US fans or exposure.
Possibly not but as far as I can tell is less common for Google sponsorship to be seen outside of the US market, so that is something I find interesting.
Valid point, the reality is that I have not seeing a lot of Google sponsorship at all… I mean, beyond academic / student related, of course they sponsor “events” (like the NBA playoffs), but sponsoring a team is something that I have not seeing really.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 23:35
mwillems wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 23:10
SmallSoldier wrote:

Valid point, the reality is that I have not seeing a lot of Google sponsorship at all… I mean, beyond academic / student related, of course they sponsor “events” (like the NBA playoffs), but sponsoring a team is something that I have not seeing really.
They sponsor the Golden State warriors I understand. As well as some NBA events.

So joining F1 makes sense given the technology synergy, but is still a bit of surprise to me. I wonder if they will be branching out more from now on. I mean why fo Google even need yo sponsor anyone? Are they starting to feel there is a little more work than before to stay relevant?

-Bandit

Xero

Darth-Piekus wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 22:43
This is a little off topic but what would have happened if Zak Brown was in charge back in 2007 with Adreas Seidl and his own technical team plus Andrian Newey. How would he differently handle the situation between Alonso and Hamilton? The Spygate which was a personal attempt from Max Mosley to cause damage to Ron Dennis due to their vendetta, would that happen without Ron Dennis? Also would Mercedes trully leave without the Spygate fine and Ron Dennis puting obstacles in Mercedes buying a part of Mclaren.
Please stop with the spygate stuff, you shoehorn it into every conversation without fail. Nobody cares anymore, it's history and consigned to the trash. Please, stop bringing it up. [-o<

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 22:43
You do realise that Zak Brown is Ron Dennis in a fat suit? How hadn't you figured that out already...

-Bandit

adrianjordan

It has seemed to me that Google is really stepping up the push with Pixel devices recently and I wonder if that is the reason for this.

I think they want to be up there with Samsung and Apple as one of the first choice handset manufacturers.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️