McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Vanja #66

Re: McLaren MCL36

Yes, of course, that is the initial solution. However, that solution costs decent performance. You want to have a long low zone in those tunnels so you can maximize the area where low pressure peaks.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

kyky-pyky
kyky-pyky

SmallSoldier wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 22:18
I believe one of the biggest contributions to Mclaren’s lack of porpoising is underfloor profile. All the teams have double kick diffuser, but the first kick-up of MCL36 solution has very conservative angle (seen above). So it provides sufficient suction, but doesn’t produce severe adverse pressure gradients getting closer to the ground. Of course, other bits on the floor edge are fine tuning devices

_cerber1

_cerber1

One gets the impression that everything was done in haste. It seems that this decision is also temporary, or there will be several such decisions tomorrow in training.

f1rules
f1rules

lol i think its fair to say mclaren got their cooling calculations horible wrong for this track, everything is basicly twice or more, the size compared to last week

genarro
genarro

f1rules wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 10:47
lol i think its fair to say mclaren got their cooling calculations horible wrong for this track, everything is basicly twice or more, the size compared to last week
The calculations about the brakes were probably all ok but i think that they were cought out by the increase of the pace of the car. The cars are aparently faster than everyone have thought.

MrGapes

So what I can interpret from this is, the silicone was used to absorb the heat that was leaking from the sides, this solution shrouds that area to reduce or stop leakage into the cake tins, anyway that's a pretty significant alteration.

DragonSGC
DragonSGC

MrGapes wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 11:17
So what I can interpret from this is, the silicone was used to absorb the heat that was leaking from the sides, this solution shrouds that area to reduce or stop leakage into the cake tins, anyway that's a pretty significant alteration.
I am guessing this is a way over spec part such that they dont even risk dnf'ing and can do race sims properly, I suspect we will get a more robust version of the testing spec parts later in the season.

MrGapes

DragonSGC wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 11:28
MrGapes wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 11:17
I am guessing this is a way over spec part such that they dont even risk dnf'ing and can do race sims properly, I suspect we will get a more robust version of the testing spec parts later in the season.
yep I agree, sucks though quite a hinderance, development and time that could of been used elsewhere.

MrGapes

Although to say the least these are comparable in size to other team cooling ducts.

frosty125
frosty125

_cerber1 wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 10:45
One gets the impression that everything was done in haste. It seems that this decision is also temporary, or there will be several such decisions tomorrow in training.
Totally agree that's a hastily engineered solution and I wonder if they will try a couple and then optimise from there.

frosty125
frosty125

kyky-pyky wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 08:32
I believe one of the biggest contributions to Mclaren’s lack of porpoising is underfloor profile. All the teams have double kick diffuser, but the first kick-up of MCL36 solution has very conservative angle (seen above). So it provides sufficient suction, but doesn’t produce severe adverse pressure gradients getting closer to the ground. Of course, other bits on the floor edge are fine tuning devices
Interesting thoughts, I think it's also the way they are using a bit of rake and vortex generation at the side pod and floor edge to seal the floor.

_cerber1

f1rules
f1rules

and welcome google

dren

_cerber1 wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 10:45
Shouldn't that be expected for a short turnaround?
Honda!