2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

_cerber1 wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 10:28
RIC is already in business
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FOCXDndWUAA ... name=small
Anyone else get a b&q vibe from the McLaren teamwear this year?

djos

Emag wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 10:19
Its naive to think you have a choice when it comes to data privacy in this day and age. Whatever you do, you will end up using something that will collect data about you. Just get the things you like and enjoy. It makes zero difference in the end.
It really isn’t, if you follow my earlier advice, companies can collect data on you but can’t tie it all together to create profiles of your internet activity and preferences. It’s the cross site / cross app tracking that creates the value to advertising companies etc.
"In downforce we trust"

Balalu
Balalu

djos wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 12:38
Balalu wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 10:08
mclaren111 wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 09:39

Totally agree... I avoid them like the plague... :D
Me, on the other hand, if there is a google/android option, that is the one I choose every single time. To each his own I guess.

Let's get back on topic. McLaren landed a major sponsor. #fearlesslyforward
Ignorance is bliss right! 😜

I’m pleased Mclaren got a new big sponsor, I just have issues with Google’s business practices. The “Don’t be evil” motto got retired a long time ago for obvious reasons.
Overthinking stuff can actually kill you. 🤪 Mental health problems are worse than data collection... As long as they do not share my private conversations or sensitive info such as bank details, I have nothing to hide.

If we had to think about all the processes and stuff that is found in foods, detergents, bottled water, clothes etc., and eliminate the "bad" companies, there would be no sponsors at all. Heck, a whole F1 team is named after drinkable poison.

Back to topic now, chop chop 👏
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

mwillems

hahaha

Every company can be good and bad depending on who's perspective we look at. Plenty of environmentalists might not look kindly on F1, and they'd have a valid opinion!

Data will always be controversial. In the same way that google can track your location and this upsets people, it has also been used in cases to prove people innocent that had no other means. Everything has a good and a bad. Googles place in China is controversial. Sometimes they have pushed back and other times they do what China says, but there are two sides to that argument as to whether it is right or wrong course of action. Problem is one side is unable to look at the other and say, well I understand why you think different, it is all or nothing. Google is not the issue. Data is not the issue. Guns are not the issue. People are the issue. Always will be. People use data, but only to give you the rubbish that you pander to. Same as with trashy tabloids, criticise them all you like, but if people ignored them because they were gutter press, they'd stop being an issue. Too easy to blame processes and laws and not look at ourselves.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

Anyways I'm excited for the practice tomorrow, we are going to truly see the pecking order come Sunday afternoon and even to a large degree on Saturday.

Will the brakes be fixed? Are we fast? What controversy awaits the cars in front in terms of legality and will the cars all stay on track and be able to not hit each other if fighting in corners becomes more prevalent??

It feels like this first quarter of a season at the very least could be a rollercoaster of ups and downs for different teams. The past 2 seasons have been really exciting in F1, tremendous in fact, and I think we are on for another cracker again this year. It's the golden era for the dinosaur that is F1 and hopefully the dawn of a new successful era for Mclaren.

-Bandit

Macklaren
Macklaren

mwillems wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 13:50
Anyways I'm excited for the practice tomorrow, we are going to truly see the pecking order come Sunday afternoon and even to a large degree on Saturday.

Will the brakes be fixed? Are we fast? What controversy awaits the cars in front in terms of legality and will the cars all stay on track and be able to not hit each other if fighting in corners becomes more prevalent??

It feels like this first quarter of a season at the very least could be a rollercoaster of ups and downs for different teams. The past 2 seasons have been really exciting in F1, tremendous in fact, and I think we are on for another cracker again this year. It's the golden era for the dinosaur that is F1 and hopefully the dawn of a new successful era for Mclaren.
Looks like quali at least will be a lottery given very gusty weather + high probability of lockups at the wrong time on push laps

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Interview with Lando, interestingly, talks about being behind the top 2 teams, (the red one and the blue one) so maybe they think they can trouble Mercedes? At least during the early rounds.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/vide ... 88247.html
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

AeroDynamic

Interview with Lando Norris with the BBC, and how he would approach racing aggressive driving techniques at the front with the likes of Verstappen

Bahrain Grand Prix: Lando Norris ready to take on Lewis Hamilton & Max Verstappen

By Andrew BensonChief F1 writer in Bahrain

Lando Norris recently signed a new contract with McLaren until 2025
McLaren driver Lando Norris believes he is ready to go toe-to-toe with Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen at the top of Formula 1.

The 22-year-old Briton heads into his fourth F1 season not sure where his team are in terms of competitiveness.

But he believes he has developed to a point where he has what it takes to win if the car is quick.

"I believe so," Norris said. "Doesn't mean I'd always come out on top, but definitely a few times."

Norris is talking to BBC Sport in an unusually chilly Bahrain paddock on the eve of the first race of the season.

Hood pulled up against the cold desert wind, Norris admits he's "a little bit nervous" as to where McLaren stand after front-brake cooling problems afflicted them in testing last week.

But on a personal front he heads into 2022 in a confident frame of mind after a breakthrough season last year in which he established himself among the F1 elite.

Norris talks a lot about improving himself, about being "in a better position" in many aspects of his driving, taking "a big step forward last year", especially with consistency - achieving his highest level as often as possible.

He's a perfectionist, you see.

"I am. I always want it to be perfect," he says. "With everything I do, I always need it to be done right and done properly and I won't be happy until it's done as close to perfection as possible.

"And secondly, various things with driving, adapting to different scenarios and being ready to drive outside my comfort zone and getting used to more different driving styles."

Ask him if he will ever be satisfied, and he says: "Never. Maybe one day. I don't know."

He admits it is the lot of the high-achieving racing driver to be this way.

"You ask most drivers 'will you ever be satisfied?' and I think most would say no," he says. "It is similar with all top athletes in different sports. They always believe there is a place they can do better.

"We always want to do that perfect lap. It's almost impossible to ever do, but it is what we are searching and driving towards.

"Similar with golfers hitting a perfect shot or a perfect 18. They always want to do one thing perfect and then put it all together and that's when it comes to a whole race weekend.

"You want to get to a point where everything's subconscious. That's when you really get in your element and in a zone where you can get out and drive normally, but your 'normal and at ease' is at a higher level than everyone else can do when they're trying.

"Everyone has these moments when they go out and things just work, and you can just drive without thinking about it and they're just very quick, and as soon as they went to improve something they do it and they're even quicker.

"That's what you see with top drivers and it doesn't mean you don't work. It's the opposite - you work so much and you spend so much time trying to find perfection and gains that you understand everything in the back of your mind.

"In the back of your head everything's swirling around, but in the front of your head you don't have to think about what you're doing. And that's when things are going very well."

Competing with the best requires more than achieving a perfect connection between driver and car, though.

F1 drivers share the track with 19 other competitive individuals. And at the front, the intensity is at another level.

Norris admits he's not sure how he would deal with a rival who drives as aggressively as Verstappen did against Hamilton at times last year.

"It's a different battle because of how Max races," Norris says. "It's a different breed of drivers. You saw how he drove and changed when it came down to those final races, with aggression.

"It's maybe something you don't experience so much in the midfield because you're not going for a World Championship, or some of the drivers don't have that mentality of risking everything."

Would Norris do that?

"It's difficult," he says. "You would try and play smart as much as you can. There are things you would definitely try and outsmart your team-mate on. But I'm also a fair racer and, I don't know, maybe don't push the limits quite as much in certain areas."

Last year, Verstappen's driving was at the centre of controversy as drivers sought clarity from race officials as to what was allowed in wheel-to-wheel racing after a number of incidents in which he seemed to push a rival off the track but did not always receive punishment.

Norris says the issue has been discussed between the drivers and governing body the FIA over the winter. The process is ongoing, he says, but there is only so much he can say because the meetings are private.

"There's a big push towards having clarity," Norris says. "Everyone's talking about it. Between us as drivers we want clarity and consistency, and the FIA want the same. So there is quite a big push on that."

Whether Norris has the car to compete at the front remains to be seen. And - like his friend and rival at Ferrari, Charles Leclerc - he picks Red Bull as pre-season favourites.

"I would go with Red Bull at the minute but Ferrari are definitely the closest after that," Norris says. "They are downplaying themselves massively, as they would.

"But consistently in every single run they've done since the first lap in [the first test in] Barcelona, they've been basically at the top.

"It was just the final day [of testing last week] when Red Bull brought some new parts along they took a little step forward. But at the same time Ferrari could have just put a bit more fuel in and just not looked as good."

Of McLaren and his own hopes, he says: "I'm confident. I'm ready for some good battles. I'm excited for what is to come this year. I am motivated to do better than last year. That's the aim and time will tell whether that's true or not."

Source
Last edited by AeroDynamic on 17 Mar 2022, 20:24, edited 1 time in total.

CjC
CjC

Ground Effect wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 19:50
Interview with Lando, interestingly, talks about being behind the top 2 teams, (the red one and the blue one) so maybe they think they can trouble Mercedes? At least during the early rounds.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/vide ... 88247.html
I have to say that’s one of the more confidence inspiring interviews from Lando.
Just a fan's point of view

diffuser

djos wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 12:38
Balalu wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 10:08
mclaren111 wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 09:39

Totally agree... I avoid them like the plague... :D
Me, on the other hand, if there is a google/android option, that is the one I choose every single time. To each his own I guess.

Let's get back on topic. McLaren landed a major sponsor. #fearlesslyforward
Ignorance is bliss right! 😜

I’m pleased Mclaren got a new big sponsor, I just have issues with Google’s business practices. The “Don’t be evil” motto got retired a long time ago for obvious reasons.
They don't do evil. Not sure what you're talking about.

billamend
billamend

CjC wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 20:23
I have to say that’s one of the more confidence inspiring interviews from Lando.
His media presence this year has been top notch. I reckon he will became the true team leader this year.

_cerber1

#-o #-o #-o

_cerber1

Not sure how relevant this photo is.

mwillems

organic wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 12:41
_cerber1 wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 10:28
RIC is already in business
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FOCXDndWUAA ... name=small
Anyone else get a b&q vibe from the McLaren teamwear this year?
Hahaha Yes!

-Bandit

mwillems

_cerber1 wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 10:55
Not sure how relevant this photo is.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FOHk6i7XsAA ... =4096x4096
Are they new brake ducts? New new brake ducts?

-Bandit