2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SiLo

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Russell lap was ok, I think that's probably where the car is.
Felipe Baby!

organic

SiLo wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 17:35
Russell lap was ok, I think that's probably where the car is.
Did he use DRS on that lap

Ah seems like that was Lewis' car with a malfunctioning DRS

NathanOlder

None of the Mercedes powered cars anywhere in the speed traps. Maybe the Mercedues power unit has to run in a lower power mode for the practice sessions ? what do we think ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

NathanOlder wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 17:58
None of the Mercedes powered cars anywhere in the speed traps. Maybe the Mercedues power unit has to run in a lower power mode for the practice sessions ? what do we think ?
Both Ferrari and RB had some 5-6 tenths on the Mercs on the race runs in S1 alone.. really hard to tell what they are doing. It cannot possibly be that big of a difference for real. Let’s see tomorrow.

PlatinumZealot

Hhmm. I am disappointed. How hasn't Mercede with all of their resources figured out the porpoising?!

We are fighting in the mid-field if they don't turn this around. FIA didn't need to go so hard in us last year did they?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Jozsusz
Jozsusz

PlatinumZealot wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 18:09
Hhmm. I am disappointed. How hasn't Mercede with all of their resources figured out the porpoising?!

We are fighting in the mid-field if they don't turn this around. FIA didn't need to go so hard in us last year did they?
Yeah, it's terrible...
Also basically they threw away last season because the W12 was updated once and that's it.
And yet, here we are, behind RB, very disappointing.

Jozsusz
Jozsusz

PlatinumZealot wrote:

Yeah, it's terrible...
Also basically they threw away last season because the W12 was updated once and that's it.

dialtone
dialtone

Jozsusz wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 18:19
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Yeah, it's terrible...
Folks... Merc won 8 WCC in a row, they had the lowest wind tunnel time of all teams. Just because now you're behind RB and Ferrari after one practice session doesn't say all that much about the rest of the season. The team is still the same competent team of the previous years and even with a great team you can't be first in everything all the time.

PlatinumZealot

They clearly had enough wind tunnel Time if they were able to make those awesome sidepods. But I am shocked that they had three weeks to solve the porpoising and they come up with a feeble, yet stubborn attempt that looks nothing like the tried and true solutions other teams came up with in the first test. They had all this time. It's clear the floor edge wing is the way to go. Why haven't they tried it?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

JPower
JPower

Mercedes might not be on pole but they should be up near the front as usual. Judging by George's S2 the car clearly has potential.

Jozsusz
Jozsusz

PlatinumZealot wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 18:28
They clearly had enough wind tunnel Time if they were able to make those awesome sidepods. But I am shocked that they had three weeks to solve the porpoising and they come up with a feeble, yet stubborn attempt that looks nothing like the tried and true solutions other teams came up with in the first test. They had all this time. It's clear the floor edge wing is the way to go. Why haven't they tried it?
I think if you cut the floor, put some wings on it and reduce the area of it like RB, the car will lose performance. This team doesn't like compromises, they want to solve it differently.

dialtone
dialtone

PlatinumZealot wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 18:28
I said it in this thread or in the W13 thread before. Ferrari has tried 6 different floors in testing, in the 2 weeks between the 2 testing sessions they had copied the MCL-36 floor, which is what they're running now, and rumors say that they were already familiar with the issue before testing even started. You can do that stuff when your car is already a stable platform to do experiments with, maybe the Merc wasn't that stable and it was a bit too extreme. Ferrari also answered questions saying that it's virtually impossible to properly simulate porpoising via software or wind tunnel, you just need track time and Merc threw away the first test. I think Merc will get there eventually because they are a stupidly strong team, but maybe you folks thought it was superhuman compared to the rest. IMHO There's nothing too surprising in what's going on, AND it's still just FP2 at the end of the day so not yet full beans.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

''Mercedes won 8 WCC'' Yes they did that while they had the car to do it. If they will not have the car neither the team nor it's drivers can hope to win any races as far as the better cars are still running on track.

fritticaldi

Is it possible James Allison produced a lemon? In the past, revolutionary cars often resulted in white elephants. Remember the Mercedes CLR ? The car that flipped three times at Le Mans in 1999.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

fritticaldi wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 18:40
Is it possible James Allison produced a lemon? In the past, revolutionary cars often resulted in white elephants. Remember the Mercedes CLR ? The car that flipped three times at Le Mans in 1999.
Look at their sector 2 times... The car is no way a lemon. Folk need to takena chill pill, its race 1 of the season. Merc did testing differently to everyone elae with their 2 different aero configs. So its no suprised theyre taking longer to get on top of the issue.