2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AeroDynamic

Re: 2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

I don't understand people still unexpectedly dropping on Perez like bird sh-t. 3 tenths off, you do realise Perez his whole career has been known as less of a qualifier and more of a stronger driver in race trim? he's never been mr. Saturday. to be 3 tenths behind what some of you think is the fastest driver we've ever seen, is a good performance for him. Especially given he has absolutely no chance of equal treatment/backing to even battle Verstappen as a teammate.

Juzh

AeroDynamic wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 11:27
I don't understand people still unexpectedly dropping on Perez like bird sh-t. 3 tenths off, you do realise Perez his whole career has been known as less of a qualifier and more of a stronger driver in race trim? he's never been mr. Saturday. to be 3 tenths behind what some of you think is the fastest driver we've ever seen, is a good performance for him. Especially given he has absolutely no chance of equal treatment/backing to even battle Verstappen as a teammate.
I agree 3 tenths off is a very good result for perez, however not once was he in a position to battle verstappen outright last year. He had to play second fiddle because of his atrocious positions and pace problems during the race and that's totally understandable. Perez' race pace when he likes the car is good but not close to verstappen's level.

chrisc90

I cant help but think the philosophies of the cars are different last year to this too.
Last year the team had a car that loved to be pitched into corners fairly sharply - which took to max's driving style very well given he probably had a big part in designing it.

This year, with ground effect, you need to be more smooth with the cornering, in order to make sure the air under the car isnt disturbed, which is why I reckon youll see a LOT less aggressiveness over the kerbs from all teams. This will probably play better into Perez hands.

I could be completely wrong with that, but just my thoughts. If Perez enjoys the car, expect him to be up there fighting/helping with the battles at the front.

Aesop
Aesop

AeroDynamic wrote:
3 tenths is very good and what we've been hoping for. But not for lack of backing. His car is the same, he had his part in development like Max, and he had every chance to shine.

Big Tea

AeroDynamic wrote:
Am I correct in thinking he can start on any tyre this year? If so we could see Perez either going shorter or longer with the first stint and either covering the undercut or going long. I think too soon to risk a short first stint, and Checo is OK at eeking out tyres so I think he will run his own pace early and come into play mid to late race. I expect good points if he is allowed to race for himself

(edit, I know there are lots of 'Or' s here but we dont know his job this year)
Last edited by Big Tea on 20 Mar 2022, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AeroDynamic

The RBR was always the rocket around corners that need aero downforce to go fast. This was mistaken by less informed fans as being accredited purely to the driver's quality/talent, that is good at cornering. But drivers in RBR's have been shining in Monaco before Max, and indeed alongside Max (2018).

This new Red Bull seems to have the opposite philosophy for the moment, which would be ironic for certain types of fans to comprehend because when its bad, it's the car having a weakness in cornering. When its good, its not anything to do with the car signature strength in cornering.

Dee
Dee

AeroDynamic wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 12:54
The RBR was always the rocket around corners that need aero downforce to go fast. This was mistaken by less informed fans as being accredited purely to the driver's quality/talent, that is good at cornering. But drivers in RBR's have been shining in Monaco before Max, and indeed alongside Max (2018).

This new Red Bull seems to have the opposite philosophy for the moment, which would be ironic for certain types of fans to comprehend because when its bad, it's the car having a weakness in cornering. When its good, its not anything to do with the car signature strength in cornering.
Don't be too fast to harp on about corner times, In FP2 Max was faster than Charles in pretty much all corners on the long run. Race pace is important.

Tyres are also important and Q3 may not have gone Max's way last night. Credit to Charles but don't be too quick to judge.

AeroDynamic

Dee wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 13:27
AeroDynamic wrote:

Don't be too fast to harp on about corner times, In FP2 Max was faster than Charles in pretty much all corners on the long run. Race pace is important.

Tyres are also important and Q3 may not have gone Max's way last night. Credit to Charles but don't be too quick to judge.
I know, maybe he learned something from the best when he was outraced in a car that went 4 tenths slower in Qualifying last year.

are you saying Leclerc out qualified Max in a slower car?

Stu

AeroDynamic wrote:

What utter nonsense, a lot of the high rake philosophy was around low speed cornering (getting the car ‘on-the-nose’), this leads to some compromising with high speed corners (and stability), but if you know that you have a down-on-(peak)-power engine you have to design around where you can maximise the advantages that you do have.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

AeroDynamic

Stu wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 13:56
AeroDynamic wrote:

What utter nonsense, a lot of the high rake philosophy was around low speed cornering (getting the car ‘on-the-nose’), this leads to some compromising with high speed corners (and stability), but if you know that you have a down-on-(peak)-power engine you have to design around where you can maximise the advantages that you do have.
Yeah, so we're both saying the RB car was (previously) designed to be good around slower corners. Capiche?

Stu

AeroDynamic wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 14:14
Stu wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:

Yeah, so we're both saying the RB car was (previously) designed to be good around slower corners. Capiche?
“The RBR was always the rocket around corners that need aero downforce to go fast”, is not low speed cornering though.???
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

AeroDynamic

Stu wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 14:21
AeroDynamic wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 14:14
Stu wrote:

“The RBR was always the rocket around corners that need aero downforce to go fast”, is not low speed cornering though.???
It goes slower on straights and faster around corners, Not the high speed ones, that's all I'm saying.

PlatinumZealot

chrisc90 wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 12:05
I cant help but think the philosophies of the cars are different last year to this too.
Last year the team had a car that loved to be pitched into corners fairly sharply - which took to max's driving style very well given he probably had a big part in designing it.

This year, with ground effect, you need to be more smooth with the cornering, in order to make sure the air under the car isnt disturbed, which is why I reckon youll see a LOT less aggressiveness over the kerbs from all teams. This will probably play better into Perez hands.

I could be completely wrong with that, but just my thoughts. If Perez enjoys the car, expect him to be up there fighting/helping with the battles at the front.
It was well decumented that Max aftually has a smooth driving style. He actually brakes earlier than Checo to keep that aero platform in the sweet spot. People tend to conflate agressive defending and attacking with hard agressive braking and steering but it's two different things.

I have watched Perez for years and hard braking but soft throttle is his strength. I have no idea how that will play out with these cars and if Checo can even adapt.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

PlatinumZealot

Stu wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:

Hmm. Nah. There is no relatiomship like that. Both of you are not correct.

RedBulls used to dominate high speed tracks like silverstone, Barcelona, Turkey even when they had the weaker renault engine. The other factor at play was the diffuser. Newey figured out ways of getting more performance from the floor with minimal trim on the wings. Blown diffuser was also very complimentary to the high rake. I think it was all about efficient downforce everywhere more than high or slow speed evidenced by the fact that RedBulls are also monsters are slow speed tracks like Monaco and Singapore.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!