2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Juzh

Re: 2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20

shamyakovic wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 19:19
taperoo2k wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 19:17
214270 wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 19:09
So verdict on the racing or still to early to call it a success? Im not sure that last years cars wouldn’t have produced the same spectacle personally.
I think the drivers were a bit tentative today with the new cars, might take a few races before a clear judgement can be made about the racing. The good thing is we saw a pretty good battle between Leclerc and Verstappen at the front.
The cars can follow closer, BUT it looked very cumbersome to even turn the car. Like i said before it looked like a very heavy tanks and looked clumsy.
Max was just dive bombing like he always did, nothing new...he was so desperate to pass them
Verstappen was the only one trying to overtake anyone for positions that actually mattered. Yes, perez overtook hamilton, but if you go watch that overtake in full hamilton basically makes a completely unforced error and lets perez trough (no one talks about it interestingly, i'd like to hear what sky has to say about it :mrgreen: ) . Verstappen had to attempt those moves because he was on the limit of what car was capable of, especially against fundamentally faster car (which ferrari definitely was), if you don't try your chance then you might not get another one. Perez wasn't interested in attacking sainz at any point so you can't even start a discussion about overtaking skills.

zibby43
zibby43

Uh oh.

PlatinumZealot

Artur Craft wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 18:45
How wrong I was!

Ferrari not only is the fastest car but did not have any technical failure, RB, on the other hand..... what a nightmare race for them.
Nah Ferrari not the fastest car. That difference was down to Leclerc's clever driving and tyre management. If anything the cars were more or less equal in race trim. I actually expected RedBull to walk away with it but tyre issues came to be the decider today.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

pantherxxx
pantherxxx

What a sh*tshow from Red Bull, Mercedes is so slow it's amazing, and congratulations to Ferrari. They're perfect, fast in the qualy, good tyre management in the race.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

lh13 wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 19:25
PlatinumZealot wrote:
f1jcw wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 18:29

FIA are shameless
Why? This is the way it has always been. Seems Masi's shennanigans last year muddled up your understanding of the rules.
I think we can now stop blaming Masi, after the FIA report, as FIA did not blame Masi, so it must be somone higher up who got it done through Masi, and then made him the scapegoat.
No they just blamed ‘Human error’. Now which Human could they be talking about. 8-[

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

PlatinumZealot wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 19:27
Artur Craft wrote:
How wrong I was!

Ferrari not only is the fastest car but did not have any technical failure, RB, on the other hand..... what a nightmare race for them.
Nah Ferrari not the fastest car. That difference was down to Leclerc's clever driving and tyre management. If anything the cars were more or less equal in race trim. I actually expected RedBull to walk away with it but tyre issues came to be the decider today.
Sorry, but I don't think this is the case. Leclerc was faster than Max , Max could only get close due to undercut but after that he could never stay close and Sainz was never really threatened by Perez. Ferrari had the best car today, even though not dominantly so, but of course Leclerc did a fantastic job.

For whatever reason, Friday tricked us regarding race pace.

chrisc90

ringo wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 19:28
chrisc90 wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 12:56
Id still put Max as a overall better racer than Leclerc is at the minute. Personally.
What's that? Really? Masi is gone this year. The stewards seem serious about racing etiquette.
Yawn, same old rubbish on Masi. Go look at the stats and go hide back under your rock.

maxxer
maxxer

Juzh wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 19:26
shamyakovic wrote:
taperoo2k wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 19:17

I think the drivers were a bit tentative today with the new cars, might take a few races before a clear judgement can be made about the racing. The good thing is we saw a pretty good battle between Leclerc and Verstappen at the front.
The cars can follow closer, BUT it looked very cumbersome to even turn the car. Like i said before it looked like a very heavy tanks and looked clumsy.
Max was just dive bombing like he always did, nothing new...he was so desperate to pass them
Verstappen was the only one trying to overtake anyone for positions that actually mattered. Yes, perez overtook hamilton, but if you go watch that overtake in full hamilton basically makes a completely unforced error and lets perez trough (no one talks about it interestingly, i'd like to hear what sky has to say about it :mrgreen: ) . Verstappen had to attempt those moves because he was on the limit of what car was capable of, especially against fundamentally faster car (which ferrari definitely was), if you don't try your chance then you might not get another one. Perez wasn't interested in attacking sainz at any point so you can't even start a discussion about overtaking skills.
Well they still need DRS so i guess nothing has changed

renault rs26
renault rs26

djones wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 18:51
SchuMassa wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 18:47
dans79 wrote:
Looks like that new Red Bull engine isn't so great after all, 75% failure rate in the first race!
Thanks heaven the Mercedes is so great. #-o It's easier to improve on PU reliability than finding 5-6 tenths a lap, even under the new regs.
It is very easy for Mercedes to find more than a second per lap when they sort the bouncing!!

I'd much rather have a flaw to fix that will unlock a lot of speed than a serious PU reliability issue.
Ron Dennis once said:
-I'd rather have fast but unreliable car, then slow but reliable.

dialtone
dialtone

Bill_Kar wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Artur Craft wrote:
How wrong I was!

Sorry, but I don't think this is the case. Leclerc was faster than Max , Max could only get close due to undercut but after that he could never stay close and Sainz was never really threatened by Perez. Ferrari had the best car today, even though not dominantly so, but of course Leclerc did a fantastic job.

Reason is simple: Ferrari didn’t do race sim on Friday and everyone is still treating that team like Domenicali or Montezemolo or Arrivabene are still leading it.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

maxxer wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 19:30
Juzh wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 19:26
shamyakovic wrote:

Well they still need DRS so i guess nothing has changed
That was be expected, you cant have a cleaner wake and the same/better slipstream at the same time

vorticism

Watto wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 19:18
Max's steering was related to being dropped in the pitstop bent a trackrod. Seems odd but there we go
That seems like a very unusual way to damage a suspension part.

shamyakovic wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 19:09
Yes Karma for their poor cars!
You need to understand the meaning of Karma
go on...

shamyakovic wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 19:15
he was complaining like a child (Ted put it very well on live tv) :lol:
Everyone without a Merc engine has been doing that for eight years. "GP2 engine."

Mchamilton wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 19:18
Anyone know why damon stands in such strange postures all the time? 😅
Optimizing center of gravity.
𓄀

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

dialtone wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 19:33
Bill_Kar wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Reason is simple: Ferrari didn’t do race sim on Friday and everyone is still treating that team like Domenicali or Montezemolo or Arrivabene are still leading it.
Yeah certainly they were hiding well. I still believe that something went wrong with RB though (regarding race pace not reliability). Anyway, we'll see.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Bill_Kar wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 19:35
dialtone wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 19:33
Bill_Kar wrote: Sorry, but I don't think this is the case. Leclerc was faster than Max , Max could only get close due to undercut but after that he could never stay close and Sainz was never really threatened by Perez. Ferrari had the best car today, even though not dominantly so, but of course Leclerc did a fantastic job.

Yeah certainly they were hiding well. I still believe that something went wrong with RB though (regarding race pace not reliability). Anyway, we'll see.
The were managing brake temperature werent they?

Spacepace

Juzh wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 19:21
shamyakovic wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 19:15
Mchamilton wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 19:13

It 3 times the exact same move, leclerc could just hang wide, cut across and get better acceleration through turn 2 and 3 and repass easily.
Yeah, it was not good from Max.
he was complaining like a child (Ted put it very well on live tv) :lol:
It's a good thing F1TV finally got hold of some good commentators this year who aren't absolute morons such as 80% of sky crew, so I finally no longer have to listen to them. Pff, what a relief. Ted is the biggest clown of them all, followed by hill and herbert.

Funny how Ben Edwards and Jolyon Palmer are able to stay nearly perfectly neutral despite also both being British.
I think Martin Brundle is a gem and neutral. I prefer it for that reason. But I'd love to have Ben Edwards beside him or James Allen