2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Partymood
Partymood

Re: 2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20

e30ernest wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 08:05
Yeah I think the pump would have been designed to take that E10. Now I wonder if their fuel has another additive that could cause that.
Grapefruit juice?

Ok, just kidding :D

Alberto Antonini, former Head of Ferrari's press office, reveals what Ferrari thinks has happened (from what they could see) to the RedBulls.

"Il doppio guasto delle RB18 (anche il testacoda di Perez non è un semplice errore di guida) in Ferrari lo hanno spiegato con il Fattore K-1. Cioè la funzione (da non confondere con una mappatura) che permette di utilizzare la massima potenza combinata del motore termico e del motogeneratore collegato alla trasmissione, ovvero lo MGU-K. Si usa in partenza, una volta raggiunti i 100 orari; e poi, in gara, nei momenti in cui serve potenza per difendersi o per attaccare. In altre parole, i colleghi di Binotto sono convinti di aver spaccato le ossa all’avversario, che dovendo chiedere troppo alla sua povera unit (scusate) ex Honda, ha finito col cuocere le batterie." Alberto Antonini
https://www.formulapassion.it/opinioni/ ... 09558.html

This is the translation:
"The double failure of the RB18s (even Perez's spin is not a simple driving error) is explained in Ferrari with the K-1 factor. That is, the function (not to be confused with a PU mapping) that allows you to use the maximum combined power of the ICE and the motogenerator connected to the transmission, i.e. the MGU-K. It is used at the start (of a race), once the 100 Km/h have been reached; and then, in the race, when you need power to defend yourself or to attack. In other words, Binotto's colleagues are convinced that they broke the bones of the opponent, who having to ask too much of its poor (in the sense of mistreated) former Honda unit, ended up cooking the batteries"

This is to be taken with a big pinch of salt.
Just some food for thought

siskue2005

Partymood wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 12:19
e30ernest wrote:
Yeah I think the pump would have been designed to take that E10. Now I wonder if their fuel has another additive that could cause that.
Grapefruit juice?

Ok, just kidding :D

Alberto Antonini, former Head of Ferrari's press office, reveals what Ferrari thinks has happened (from what they could see) to the RedBulls.

"Il doppio guasto delle RB18 (anche il testacoda di Perez non è un semplice errore di guida) in Ferrari lo hanno spiegato con il Fattore K-1. Cioè la funzione (da non confondere con una mappatura) che permette di utilizzare la massima potenza combinata del motore termico e del motogeneratore collegato alla trasmissione, ovvero lo MGU-K. Si usa in partenza, una volta raggiunti i 100 orari; e poi, in gara, nei momenti in cui serve potenza per difendersi o per attaccare. In altre parole, i colleghi di Binotto sono convinti di aver spaccato le ossa all’avversario, che dovendo chiedere troppo alla sua povera unit (scusate) ex Honda, ha finito col cuocere le batterie." Alberto Antonini
https://www.formulapassion.it/opinioni/ ... 09558.html

This is the translation:
"The double failure of the RB18s (even Perez's spin is not a simple driving error) is explained in Ferrari with the K-1 factor. That is, the function (not to be confused with a PU mapping) that allows you to use the maximum combined power of the ICE and the motogenerator connected to the transmission, i.e. the MGU-K. It is used at the start (of a race), once the 100 Km/h have been reached; and then, in the race, when you need power to defend yourself or to attack. In other words, Binotto's colleagues are convinced that they broke the bones of the opponent, who having to ask too much of its poor (in the sense of mistreated) former Honda unit, ended up cooking the batteries"

This is to be taken with a big pinch of salt.
Just some food for thought
Sounds about right

NathanOlder

AMG.Tzan wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 01:44

P.S. Magnussen destroying Schumacher after 1 year off and with such a late notice just makes me think that Mick has just the name and nothing more than that...
Been saying that since his F2 days. Not a top talent, despite what some have said.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

siskue2005

NathanOlder wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 12:30
AMG.Tzan wrote:

P.S. Magnussen destroying Schumacher after 1 year off and with such a late notice just makes me think that Mick has just the name and nothing more than that...
Been saying that since his F2 days. Not a top talent, despite what some have said.
I would give him few more races.

scheffers
scheffers

NathanOlder wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 12:30
AMG.Tzan wrote:

Have not been following him before F1, but never really saw the 'strong 2021 season' all the commentators are talking about the whole time.

AeroDynamic

Lance Stroll, Mick Schumacher, and Nicholas Latifi need to have a real hard look at themselves because being beaten by teammates who haven't been in F1 for more than a year and completely unprepared for their teams cars is embarrassing.

Alonso's race was extremely unimpressive given Ocon had a time penalty and no strategy advantage

Mod edit: off topic stuff removed

calugarul
calugarul

I especially appreciated the management of the safecar, initially through VSC, so that it has a small footprint on the result of the race. Congratulations.

Big Tea

e30ernest wrote:
Temperature?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PlatinumZealot

Three stopper this race... New tyres looked good or too early to call?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

siskue2005

PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 13:53
It's burning up too quickly, I have not heard anything from the drivers stating that they are able to push continously

izzy
izzy

calugarul wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 13:13
I especially appreciated the management of the safecar, initially through VSC, so that it has a small footprint on the result of the race. Congratulations.
The only point of the full safety car is to bunch the field up so marshalls have periods of completely clear track. That never happened, and it was never going to, with the short time needed and the speed limit.

So it was pretty fake, in fact. F1 meets DTS drama, again 🥳

pantherxxx
pantherxxx

How much faster is Ferrari?
Ferrari has the most balanced package at the start of the season. The F1-75 is predictable. The red car is fast both on one lap and over the race distance, it protects the tires and downforce is high, as evidenced by the good section times in the central section of the Bahrain circuit. The relationship between contact pressure and air resistance is good, the V6 turbo engine is a stunner. It is said that the six-cylinder from Maranello has even more power than last year – despite E10 petrol.

The red car also doesn’t tend to bounce excessively on the straights. Red Bull has bouncing under control, but had to sacrifice downforce in Bahrain to keep up on the straights. The top speeds indicate that the engineers may have meant too well. Red Bull paid for it in the corners, and with too much tire wear in the race. The engineers calculate: “Ferrari is three tenths faster per lap than us.”

Charles Leclerc delivered a masterpiece. He won the start on fresh softs against Max Verstappen on used softs. Between laps 17 and 19 after the first pit stops, he countered three overtaking attempts by the world champion, who now had a new set of the soft compound, while Charles Leclerc switched to used softs. “I knew that Max would attack me at the end of the home straight. I deliberately braked earlier to get DRS myself for the following straight. That was the tactic. Otherwise he would have overtaken me there.” Charles Leclerc repeatedly passed his opponent before turn four. This is followed by the winding corners that prevent further attempts.

With the exception of the first pit stop, when the right front tire was not changed quickly enough, all tire changes went well. Ferrari used the right tactics with both drivers. Although Verstappen could have arrived in front by with his undercuts. The World Champion’s team had underestimated the advantage of the fresh tires and instructed their star to start each stint without pushing.

Auto Motor und Sport also reported on the Mercedes deficit to Ferrari: over one lap, the gap is at 0.5s, while over a race distance, the gap is at 0.8s per lap due to higher tyre deg. It seems Mercedes also lacks a bit of PU power and the ICE is frozen now (you can’t update that). Mercedes wants to sort out their car issues by the start of the European races in Imola (they understand the car better but still need to make big setup compromises). Lewis Hamilton thinks they have a fundamental issue and it will take longer than that.

codetower

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Meh.. not sure. Hardest tyres in the set (C1/C2/C3) vs 2-3-4 last year... and there was an extra stop. So far looks a little worse than last year, but It's the first race, let's wait to see if the teams get a good balance on downforce/drag setup.

siskue2005

codetower wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 15:05
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Meh.. not sure. Hardest tyres in the set (C1/C2/C3) vs 2-3-4 last year... and there was an extra stop. So far looks a little worse than last year, but It's the first race, let's wait to see if the teams get a good balance on downforce/drag setup.
I think more pitstops are good. But are they able to push those laps in between?

PlatinumZealot

codetower wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 15:05
PlatinumZealot wrote:
It seems the drivers can push these tyres more, but i heard there is a steep cliff.

Apparently more resistant to flat-spotting but also their size takes a toll on steering hydraulics.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028