Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
codetower

Re: Ferrari F1-75

levidrugi wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 12:59
Wondering if the Ferrari/FIA agreement sealed at the end of 2020 contained anything about the fuel? Perhaps running on E10 in 2021 already? They seem to tackle the new fuel way better than Merc and Honda.
From what I've read/heard it was Shell that had come up with a good E10 mixture that already made up for most of the lost power. I'll try and find the old articles.

Regarding the F1-75... great first race. Great on the tyres, no serious brake heating issues, good power, good slow speed cornering, good downforce, the only (possible) weakness could be in the hybrid, and we have until September to improve there. Seems like we're on the right path so far.

EDIT: Added link to E10 fuel story
https://scuderiafans.com/f1-ferrari-she ... 22-engine/

Holm86

codetower wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 14:45
levidrugi wrote:
Wondering if the Ferrari/FIA agreement sealed at the end of 2020 contained anything about the fuel? Perhaps running on E10 in 2021 already? They seem to tackle the new fuel way better than Merc and Honda.
From what I've read/heard it was Shell that had come up with a good E10 mixture that already made up for most of the lost power. I'll try and find the old articles.

Regarding the F1-75... great first race. Great on the tyres, no serious brake heating issues, good power, good slow speed cornering, good downforce, the only (possible) weakness could be in the hybrid, and we have until September to improve there. Seems like we're on the right path so far.

Do the other Ferrari teams run Shell?? Otherwise I don't believe it's the fuel thats mostly responsible

codetower

Holm86 wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 14:52
codetower wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 14:45
levidrugi wrote:

Do the other Ferrari teams run Shell?? Otherwise I don't believe it's the fuel thats mostly responsible
Not sure about the other teams. I agree with you, I don't believe it's the fuel that is mostly responsible. I was simply replying to the post suggesting the FIA agreement and Ferrari with the E10 fuel in 2021.

There was definitely a lot of work put into this engine, and it's showing across all the Ferrari powered cars!

Andi76
Andi76

dialtone wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 08:50
bomskok101 wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 08:41
Do we know whether Ferrari are currently running with a slightly compromised set-up with them adding more wing for this race? I’ve been trying to sift through reports etc to find out whether they are able to run at the optimum ride height for the best floor performance, or whether they still have to compromise to an extent due to porpoising?
They are compromising yes, you can see the struts on the floor edge in the back for example. They will have a new floor to fix porpoising in 3-4 races they said, so far afaik they are running higher than they'd like and stiffer than they'd like.
From observation i have to disagree with "stiffer than they'd like", at least to some degree Ferrari was the only team who already started testing in Barcelona with a very stiff suspension set-up. This clearly tells us that Ferrari knew before testing that the new cars need a very stiff suspension-set up. If you compare their suspension set-up in Bahrain to the one they run on the first test in Barcelona, its obvious that they now can run a softer suspension set-up. So they already achieved a lot in that regard. Maybe their goal is still a softer set-up, but to be honest, i doubt it. Stiff suspension set-ups will be something that is required with these kind of cars. And its also nothing new, as the cars in the mid 90's and early 00's were also run with very stiff suspension set-ups.

Andi76
Andi76

levidrugi wrote:
If my memory does not trick me, part of the agreement was that Ferrari had to commit themselves as a developement partner for the new generation of fuels and also carry the developement costs or a huge amount of that. I remember exactly that i thought - they have to pay a lot of money, but this will probably give them a big advantage in the future.

codetower

Andi76 wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 15:26
levidrugi wrote:
If my memory does not trick me, part of the agreement was that Ferrari had to commit themselves as a developement partner for the new generation of fuels and also carry the developement costs or a huge amount of that. I remember exactly that i thought - they have to pay a lot of money, but this will probably give them a big advantage in the future.
Could be, but I cannot see how all other teams would allow this unless it would be to benefit them all. Money is a much smaller obstacle for Ferrari than most other teams. It would basically be giving Ferrari to work outside of the cost cap to gain an advantage on the competition.

tpe
tpe

If I remember correctly, the E10 was supposed to be introduced in 2021 anyway, regardless of their agreement with FIA. And they way I read what they announced back then, is that Ferrari will pay for the R&D of fuels to be used after E10.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

dialtone wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 05:03
Fastest lap from LEC and VER in the race.
Are you sure you're comparing the correct laps? Leclerc's fastest lap was like 9/10ths faster than Verstappen's.

dialtone
dialtone

Seanspeed wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 16:13
dialtone wrote:
Are you sure you're comparing the correct laps? Leclerc's fastest lap was like 9/10ths faster than Verstappen's.
Yep, 100% sure, lap 45 and 51.

Also taking from race topic:

"The double failure of the RB18s (even Perez's spin is not a simple driving error) is explained in Ferrari with the K-1 factor. That is, the function (not to be confused with a PU mapping) that allows you to use the maximum combined power of the ICE and the motogenerator connected to the transmission, i.e. the MGU-K. It is used at the start (of a race), once the 100 Km/h have been reached; and then, in the race, when you need power to defend yourself or to attack. In other words, Binotto's colleagues are convinced that they broke the bones of the opponent, who having to ask too much of its poor (in the sense of mistreated) former Honda unit, ended up cooking the batteries"

https://www.formulapassion.it/opinioni/ ... 09558.html

So this is basically what I said yesterday looking at telemetry, they ran their engine too hard and didn't recover enough to keep up with them and came short on fuel.

outsid3r

dialtone wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 05:47
AFAIK Ferrari and RedBull were both considered overweight, RedBull by about 5-10kg more than Ferrari. Now people say RedBull lost 7-10kg since testing so it's probably on the same level with Ferrari. But nobody really provided much proof of this aside from some rumors.
Something which can possibly shed some light on this is whether the team ask drivers to "pick up rubber" at the end of the race. Ferrari didn't, so they probably have a comfortable-enough margin over the minimum weight, a.k.a the car is possibly slightly overweigh.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

dialtone wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 16:49
Might be missing something, and sorry if I'm sounding pestering, but both Leclerc and Max set their fastest times on lap 51. If you're comparing Leclerc's lap 45 to Max's lap 51, then they're taken in fairly different situations.

dialtone
dialtone

Seanspeed wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 17:01
dialtone wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 16:49
Might be missing something, and sorry if I'm sounding pestering, but both Leclerc and Max set their fastest times on lap 51. If you're comparing Leclerc's lap 45 to Max's lap 51, then they're taken in fairly different situations.
You are totally right, my mistake. But yeah the lap looks about the same actually. Same VER peaks and LEC is the same lap of course.

PlatinumZealot

vorticism wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 17:46
What are the perforations for? (blue arrows)

https://i.imgur.com/SnO0BU3.jpg

A ship needs a captain. A good one. Whether that be in a town, a company, a family, a church, or a state. We suffer the loss of good captains in our modern days. Few if any of us have ever seen a meritorious or polymath head of state within living memory. That said, ultimately it is the crew which produces the next captain. The makeup of the team is also crucial.

That is to say, who is in the team. North America, for example, has never produced a competitive F1 team. South America has never produced a competitive F1 team. Africa has never produced a competitive F1 team. Japanese Honda had a few notable eras, yet by and large, Asia as well has never produced a competitive F1 team. Yet, Germany has. England has. Italy has. France has. This is perhaps to state the obvious, but it is the obvious which nowadays goes unspoken. Europe created F1 and all of the winning teams which competed within it. This European sport has for decades so enamored the world that half of its races now take place outside of Europe. Yes, an American could participate in F1. The greater question is why would they? Why would an African or an Asian want to pretend to be European? Why is the world seemingly obsessed with acting European? Obsessed even with living in Europe. Yet at the same time never admitting to the tendency.

Ever heard of something called globalization? :roll:

All it takes to have a top American, Chinese, South African or any country team... Is lots of money and making a good environment to attract the right people. Haas could have turned to a Russian team overnight, and Alfa Romeo can turn to a Chinese team of the money it right.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Watto
Watto

Ferrari certainly look to have a great car this year and it is good to see them back. Hopefully another open championship which will be great.

S D

dialtone wrote:
Posted this in the GP topic:

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/vv-d ... onless.png

I suppose there's 2 ways to read this:
1) LEC had plenty left in the car to go faster if he wanted/needed, through the race he was always recovering energy at the end of straights, I didn't see much of the same from VER actually except main straight. This would lead me to believe that the race was never really in danger.

another way of
2) VER's engine is capable of recovering energy without hurting top speed as much. This would seem a bit more unrealistic, but of course would be a big plus in Jeddah if it's there.

Anyway F1-75 carries a lot of speed through T6-7 and T12 compared to RB-18, I think this shows that RB-18 was generating less downforce which caused their tire deg to increase.

IMHO RB-18 is a great car, but F1-75 is marginally better in a bunch of areas that allows it to sacrifice less to compromises.
I'm curious, how is the graph generated? Do you have the raw data? Can you generate a graph that just shows the delta?