2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
_cerber1

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

torpor wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 22:22
James Allison is chief technical officer of Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team since July 2021.
James Allison will step down as technical director of the Mercedes team on July 1. His place will be taken by Mike Elliott, who most recently served as chief technology officer.

Ellison will not leave the team - he will become the chief technical director of Mercedes and will deal with strategic tasks in Formula 1.

mstar
mstar

Ecxactly, the whole point James said he is working on for 2022 the sailing and other road car stuff, and spend more time with his family. So maybe he got bored and Mark needs more help and he is back on F1 programme.

mstar
mstar

icantride wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 12:08
mstar wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 22:11
Wait, I thought James doesn't work on the F1 programme anymore, his full duties where handed over to Mark elliot. He is full time on outside F1 programmes im really confused he said he had enough of F1, and wanted to do different things. Is he back on the F1 side now? So what does Mark do now then?
You might be thinking of Andy Cowell from HPP, he wanted to leave F1. James Allison was worried he would have to leave Mercedes until Toto created the CTO role for him last year
No i wasn't. I know who Andy is.

Jolle
Jolle

mstar wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 13:53
Ecxactly, the whole point James said he is working on for 2022 the sailing and other road car stuff, and spend more time with his family. So maybe he got bored and Mark needs more help and he is back on F1 programme.
Don’t forget the budget cap in this one. To have Allison officially out of the loop of the F1 team, he doesn’t count as one of the three excluded team members for the cap (I suspect Toto Wolff isn’t on the pay roll either as an owner). This way he can “consult” the technical staff on an hourly base.

RZS10

Looks like Mercedes are trying to save money by leaving the main portion of the wing the same and just changing the DRS flap in contrast to the other teams which build whole different wings for different downforce levels - the wing Lewis is running has a new (even narrower/lower) DRS flap.

wogx

Maybe they need to save their resources now - they brought two versions of bodywork for tests - and it wasn't a success! That could compromise their development this season
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

NicoS

Lewis said mercedes don't make mistake!
They made big mistake!

JPower
JPower

Hamilton and Russell were very quick through S2 and S3. Might be a little track evolution but they are right on par with Red Bull and Ferrari.

I think they'll be right up there if they find a floor fix.

Watto
Watto

NicoS wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 18:20
They made big mistake!
Way too early to call it a mistake. could still well be a good call if they can get on top of the issues.

NicoS

Watto wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 20:25
NicoS wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 18:20
They made big mistake!
Way too early to call it a mistake. could still well be a good call if they can get on top of the issues.
if they have issues, they made a mistake, else they would not have issues. They may very well fix their mistake, but as it stands they made a mistake.

Nanosapien
Nanosapien

Good day all. I not an engineer or anyone with technical knowledge. however I think Merc is being cautious with their engine. I think they have power but not running full beans until they get a better understanding of how new fuel and ICE behaves under race conditions. Also they want to know how the porpoising will affect power unit, tgearbox and other related components.

fritticaldi

It was clear that from the beginning some teams were going to produce a lemon. The Mercedes W13 is a failed car in every segment. When life feeds you lemons make lemonade.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Nanosapien wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 13:31
Good day all. I not an engineer or anyone with technical knowledge. however I think Merc is being cautious with their engine. I think they have power but not running full beans until they get a better understanding of how new fuel and ICE behaves under race conditions. Also they want to know how the porpoising will affect power unit, tgearbox and other related components.
Or the fuel optimization isn’t where it needs to be. Petronas, what have you done?

Jozsusz
Jozsusz

What a disrgace.
P16

NicoS

Yes wonder when totto will start chucking his headpiece to the floor. and shouting to camera.
All of MB seems subdued. much less cockiness is evident.