Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

vorticism wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 21:05
Maybe the turbine scroll is the collector. Six inlets.

Edit- like this:

https://i.imgur.com/IP3N5Nq.jpg
What is the complex ahead of the plenum chamber? All part of the oil reservoir?
I feel like the assembly of this would be a royal PITA.
A lion must kill its prey.

vorticism

AR3-GP wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 04:03
I feel like the assembly of this would be a royal PITA.
And heavier. And I can't think of a way it would help pulse spacing or improve turbine efficiency.
𓄀

Stu

vorticism wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 21:05
Maybe the turbine scroll is the collector. Six inlets.

Edit- like this:

https://i.imgur.com/IP3N5Nq.jpg
What is the complex ahead of the plenum chamber? All part of the oil reservoir?
If this is what they are doing, there will be serious consequences for either weight or structural rigidity of the bell-housing!!!
Would be perfect if you were planning on trying to use the turbine as a quasi-gas turbine by introducing some fuel 😈

…although you would, literally, burn through you turbo allocation!!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

Stu wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 09:38
Would be perfect if you were planning on trying to use the turbine as a quasi-gas turbine by introducing some fuel 😈
anyway c. 5% of the fuel burns ahead of the turbine not in the cylinder

a 95% combustion 'efficiency' means combustion is only about 95% complete in the cylinder (even in road engines)
partly due to combustion inconsistency

PlatinumZealot

McMika98 wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 21:22
torpor wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 18:31
After Bahrain qualifying everything looks like Mercedes PU went from hero to zero thanks to the E10 fuel rule.
Can somebody tell if there is still some engine development possible or has a full engine freeze already took place?
No the engine is locked, no more performance gains allowed. The worst engine out there now for few years. Merc customers feeling the Ferrari vibe last year.
I'm half sure fuel and lubricants and good old engine tuning is still allowed. It's the big money developnent of parts that I think is frozen.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

George's turn to follow this weekend. That's going to be very useful for him in qualifying along the fast sweeping sections.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

LM10
LM10

PlatinumZealot wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 15:10
McMika98 wrote:
torpor wrote:
After Bahrain qualifying everything looks like Mercedes PU went from hero to zero thanks to the E10 fuel rule.
Can somebody tell if there is still some engine development possible or has a full engine freeze already took place?
No the engine is locked, no more performance gains allowed. The worst engine out there now for few years. Merc customers feeling the Ferrari vibe last year.
I'm half sure fuel and lubricants and good old engine tuning is still allowed. It's the big money developnent of parts that I think is frozen.
Is this your interpretation of "frozen" or do you have insider-information or some other information on that? Fuel and engine oil are already frozen as well, btw.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

ICE, TC, MGU-H, EXHAUST, FUEL AND OIL. Have been homologated from 1st March. MGU-K, ES, CE, Must be homologated by September.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

PlatinumZealot wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 15:10
McMika98 wrote:
torpor wrote:
Fuel and lubricants are frozen since March 1st.

Appendix 3 of '22 Tech Regs:
A lion must kill its prey.

PlatinumZealot

That sucks!

This is what RedBull and Honda lobbied for. Disgusting.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

RZS10

I still don't understand why they decided to freeze all that exactly with the (rather pointless) switch to E10 fuel since that had a higher chance of locking in an advantage one way or another ...

Alexf1
Alexf1

PlatinumZealot wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 20:28
That sucks!

RB did not lobby for E10 and the vote for engine freeze was unanimous: https://the-race.com/formula-1/f1-to-in ... -for-2022/

LM10
LM10

Alexf1 wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 21:11
PlatinumZealot wrote:
That sucks!

RB did not lobby for E10 and the vote for engine freeze was unanimous: https://the-race.com/formula-1/f1-to-in ... -for-2022/
RedBull was the leading force behind the push to freeze PU development. For the simple reason that Honda was supposed to leave them which they have not really done as we all know now. Their argumentation was that they would have been in a disadvantageous position.

Alexf1
Alexf1

LM10 wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 21:44
Alexf1 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
That sucks!

RedBull was the leading force behind the push to freeze PU development. For the simple reason that Honda was supposed to leave them which they have not really done as we all know now. Their argumentation was that they would have been in a disadvantageous position.
Yes they were but apparently Merc were fine with it cause they voted in favour.

dialtone
dialtone

Alexf1 wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 21:58
LM10 wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 21:44
Alexf1 wrote:

Yes they were but apparently Merc were fine with it cause they voted in favour.
Everyone voted in favor or the freeze wouldn't have passed. RB threatened to leave the sport if they didn't freeze because they felt it would have been impossible for them to compete without the engine partner to develop the engine.