2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Neuron
Neuron

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Russell was much quicker and Lewis told that he went too much with car's set up so it was just a set up problem (way too much oversteer). Don't see a reason to panic.

RZS10

Not that it would have made much of a difference with George just about getting into Q3 but why did they not use him to give Lewis a tow down the main straight, he was right behind him and was safely through already ... easily would have made up the 0.087s To Q2 for Lewis

wogx

IIRC This weekend Russell could choose
if he wants to take/give a tow.
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

torpor
torpor

Hammerfist wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 17:35
Nanosapien wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 13:31
Good day all. I not an engineer or anyone with technical knowledge. however I think Merc is being cautious with their engine. I think they have power but not running full beans until they get a better understanding of how new fuel and ICE behaves under race conditions. Also they want to know how the porpoising will affect power unit, tgearbox and other related components.
Or the fuel optimization isn’t where it needs to be. Petronas, what have you done?
Are McLaren, Aston Martin and Williams actually using Petronas fuel and lubricants as well?
I think Gulf is too small to be a credible F1 supplier and Armamco just entered F1 as a team team partner. Williams has no Petrol related sponsor as far as I know.

ringo

Its best not to compromise Russel for Lewis. Let Russel take over this weekend since he got the setup right.
I notice Lewis tends to go the wrong way completely on street tracks. Reminds me of him going the wrong way at Monaco.
His top speed was very horrible here at Saudi Arabia and the grip in the car. Maybe suffering the same issue as Verstappen in terms of tyre temps.

As for the car I beginning to feel it is too late to salvage 2022. The car is just too bad. Reminds me of the 2009 and the 2013 Mclaren.
The may need to rig up a spoon side pod real quick and copy ferrari.
For Sure!!

Shrieker

viewtopic.php?p=1049801#p1049801

Is that it, or is there more to it ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

silver
silver

It seems like Russell is getting up to speed and understanding the car better. Probably having driven those poor Williams cars is helping him understanding finding out ways to get around the car's lack of pace. This is new to Hamilton as he last drove such a poor car back in 2009. Given the circumstances, it may make more sense to take feedback from Russell to develop the car to move forward.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

silver wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:43
It seems like Russell is getting up to speed and understanding the car better. Probably having driven those poor Williams cars is helping him understanding finding out ways to get around the car's lack of pace. This is new to Hamilton as he last drove such a poor car back in 2009. Given the circumstances, it may make more sense to take feedback from Russell to develop the car to move forward.
It's not like Williams moved up the grid much during Russell's tenure.

silver
silver

AR3-GP wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:54
silver wrote:
They became point scorers from being almost 3 to 4 seconds down! Started getting into Q1 consistently. Regardless of the argument, he put that Williams on the front row in Spa. That's just undeniable progress.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

silver wrote:
It’s seriously one bad session from Hamilton so far, with a wrong setup call on a street circuit. In almost all other sessions so far, Lewis has been quicker, so let’s just wait a few races shall we…

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

silver wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:58
AR3-GP wrote:
silver wrote:
They became point scorers from being almost 3 to 4 seconds down! Started getting into Q1 consistently. Regardless of the argument, he put that Williams on the front row in Spa. That's just undeniable progress.
Yes, Spa happened. But I feel like it's incredibly lazy to dismiss Lewis's input because "he's never driven a bad car since 2009". I'm not sure I even understand what that means.

For example, I could imagine the opposite scenario. Russell so used to driving ****boxes, that he doesn't notice some issues on the new Merc because he has never driven anything better. Whereas Hamilton knows what a dominant car feels like, has an expectation, and can say every little imperfection.

NicoS

AR3-GP wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 22:13
silver wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

Yes, Spa happened. But I feel like it's incredibly lazy to dismiss Lewis's input because "he's never driven a bad car since 2009". I'm not sure I even understand what that means.

For example, I could imagine the opposite scenario. Russell so used to driving ****boxes, that he thinks the Merc is perfect because he's never driven anything better. Whereas Hamilton knows what a dominant car feels like, has an expectation, and can say when something just isn't good enough.
I think it means they had it so easy, never really had to work and put thought into getting the car to work better.
even if the car was crap, it was still pretty good.
they have un-learned to problem solve and work around problems.
The must now first re-educate themselves.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

#-o
NicoS wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 22:18
AR3-GP wrote:
silver wrote:

For example, I could imagine the opposite scenario. Russell so used to driving ****boxes, that he thinks the Merc is perfect because he's never driven anything better. Whereas Hamilton knows what a dominant car feels like, has an expectation, and can say when something just isn't good enough.
I think it means they had it so easy, never really had to work and put thought into getting the car to work better.
What utter garbage.

NicoS

Tvetovnato wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 22:23
#-o
NicoS wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 22:18
AR3-GP wrote:

What utter garbage.
So are you suggesting they just don't know what they are doing?

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

silver wrote:
Lewis was faster than george all weekend untill they made a setup change between fp3 and quali.
Which was apparently further in the direction they went between fp2 and 3, which worked.
But the further change didnt work and made the car nervous.

Dont see how that has anything to do with george getting on top of the car better 🤔