2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
runningmanz
runningmanz

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Bad luck to Dan getting caught out on a busy track with the penalty. At least the pace is a little better and we haven't even brought any upgrades. Let's see how we go in the race. Hope we can manage some points.

Emag
Emag

Both cars bottom of the speedtrap and with a considerable margin to the top. Clearly they are trying to compensate for the lack of underfloor downforce by bolting on as much wing as they can get away with. So far, I would say it was the right choice, but I am afraid they might be sitting ducks in the race like this, both in terms of overtaking and defending.

However, it seem like something might be going on with the Mercedes PU though, because none of the Mercedes-powered cars were anywhere near the top in terms of speed.

diffuser

McL-H wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 00:23
Lando: “We've got a lot of pace to find if we want to be competitive with any of the guys in the top 10.”
So, from having one of - if not the most balanced cars on track at Barcelona, to struggling to get to Q3 now? What the hell happened? At Barcelona the paddock hyped the possibility of seeing McLaren back as a championship contender. Last week it went down already to fighting Mercedes for 3rd, which seemed realistic. Today, Lando’s prospect is we aren’t even top 5 material. What will it be tomorrow? Fighting Williams? After all the tough years we had, it seemed we were progressing back to the front where we belong. I am very disappointed after all the buzz that was created and I dragged myself along with. Hopeful we can turn this around, but I need to let it sink in for a moment because I am not ready to be celebrating P10’s anymore like during the Honda times. I expect more now. And I think the team should be expecting the fans to expect more as well, if we’re ever to be a top team again. Coming up with excuses and accepting this performance, is accepting mediocrity for the foreseeable future. Williams 2.0 will be our fate then.
You just don't know what was going on in practise in Spain with other cars. It was the first practice session for everyone.

This is a new age, they can make up alot of time quickly. All they can do is try to solve problems.

sn809
sn809

I have no idea what you guys are on about.
Common sense dictates keeping speeds low till breaks are fixed. Why would you want the car to speed up when you know the breaks are cooked. Brakes are the priority first and foremost.

McG

sn809 wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 04:06
I have no idea what you guys are on about.
Common sense dictates keeping speeds low till breaks are fixed. Why would you want the car to speed up when you know the breaks are cooked. Brakes are the priority first and foremost.
Correct you do not have any idea. Low top speed has nothing to do their brakes. It would only be something to do with brakes if they were lifting and coasting before heavy braking. Look at others without brake issues around the same speed as McLaren.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

McG

bauc wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 23:33
McG wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 23:31
Redragon wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 16:25

As i said is my opinion. They ditched Honda when they were showing progress after enduring the worst. Now is 1st or second best engine on grid with the new homologued ones. Let’s see how long they realised that the new Mercedes engine is not as much powerful as Ferrari and Honda. Old drama yes but I believe and it is my opinion that they will regret in near future.
Well there's your Honda today. 3 out if 4 engine failures. Honda are trash just like your ancient outdated pointless opinion.
Fuel pump failure for all 3 Honda engines (Fuel pump is standardized for all teams from this season) and possible the reason why Mercedes engines are running in lean mode for now.

All teams have troubles, part the Ferrari powered one's ....

We will see how this story will develop.
Well isn't that a strange coincidence.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Emag wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 02:25
Both cars bottom of the speedtrap and with a considerable margin to the top. Clearly they are trying to compensate for the lack of underfloor downforce by bolting on as much wing as they can get away with. So far, I would say it was the right choice, but I am afraid they might be sitting ducks in the race like this, both in terms of overtaking and defending.

However, it seem like something might be going on with the Mercedes PU though, because none of the Mercedes-powered cars were anywhere near the top in terms of speed.

https://i.imgur.com/khbXC5m.png
I mentioned Crofty yesterady saying Toto claimed there was more to come from the Mercedes engine. In this engine freeze era, it could mean they're running conservative due to a reliability concern, which they're going to address. It could also mean the E10 fuel isn't at the level of the others, maybe that's been worked on? Also, do the rules allow development on the electrical part of the PU?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Lachstar
Lachstar

Watching the McLaren onboard laps vs the Ferraris shows that we use all our battery way before the last corner whereas the Ferrari are still using it up until the finish line.
I'm not sure if the Merc Pu is getting all it can from the battery but it would explain why the Merc teams are struggling.

EddyBaggio

Ground Effect wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 11:24
Emag wrote:

I mentioned Crofty yesterady saying Toto claimed there was more to come from the Mercedes engine. In this engine freeze era, it could mean they're running conservative due to a reliability concern, which they're going to address. It could also mean the E10 fuel isn't at the level of the others, maybe that's been worked on? Also, do the rules allow development on the electrical part of the PU?
EDIT:

My two cents already stated in the post before :)

Marc.W

Lachstar wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 11:30
Watching the McLaren onboard laps vs the Ferraris shows that we use all our battery way before the last corner whereas the Ferrari are still using it up until the finish line.
I'm not sure if the Merc Pu is getting all it can from the battery but it would explain why the Merc teams are struggling.
Don't individual teams map their own deployment for each track or is it purely down to the supplier to do that?

BMMR61

With respect, some of you guys need a bit of patience and a gulp of faith in the team. This is a time of great change and there will be big gains to be made in the first half of the season at least. The fundamentals are so different that understanding the car is the first real task, something the team got good at from 2019 on. The Mercedes pu seems to have some kind of restraint on power at the moment but it would seem unlikely for them not to find the necessary horses. If we look at how Lewis is struggling it should be accepted that the start of the era brings massive challenges. True fans need to keep the faith and be realistic about progress. With just a week between races the only gains will be through setups and track characteristics. Double points would be a bonus but unlikely, I’d be happy with two points on merit.

Lachstar
Lachstar

Marc.W wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 11:38
Lachstar wrote:
Don't individual teams map their own deployment for each track or is it purely down to the supplier to do that?
From the onboards it seems the Merc teams are much the same as each other and same goes for the Ferrari powered teams.

CjC
CjC

Ground Effect wrote:
Emag wrote:

I watched FP3 and Quali almost back to back yesterday and my interpretation of Crofty saying that Toto said they’ll turn the PU up was just the normal procedure of turning up the PU between FP3 and Quali- not necessarily as a season as a whole. Unfortunately.

It is feasible that the PU is turned down on power on the whole for reliability and maybe a ‘reliability’ upgrade could bring an upturn in performance once Merc have jumped though all the hoops the FIA and the other manufacturers put out.

The E10 fuel along with the oil and the PU have been frozen.
Yes the electrical side can still be developed up until September this season then will be frozen. I would imagine Merc look at this to seek an improvement.... Ferrari brought an upgrade to the electrical side last season if you recall which brought them quite a substantial upturn in overall power.
Just a fan's point of view

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

CjC wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 13:51
Ground Effect wrote:
Emag wrote:

I watched FP3 and Quali almost back to back yesterday and my interpretation of Crofty saying that Toto said they’ll turn the PU up was just the normal procedure of turning up the PU between FP3 and Quali- not necessarily as a season as a whole. Unfortunately.

It is feasible that the PU is turned down on power on the whole for reliability and maybe a ‘reliability’ upgrade could bring an upturn in performance once Merc have jumped though all the hoops the FIA and the other manufacturers put out.

The E10 fuel along with the oil and the PU have been frozen.
Yes the electrical side can still be developed up until September this season then will be frozen. I would imagine Merc look at this to seek an improvement.... Ferrari brought an upgrade to the electrical side last season if you recall which brought them quite a substantial upturn in overall power.
I'm not sure that's what he implied from "more to come". I'm watching quali again, I'll listen out for the comment, maybe I'll get a clearer context.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Lachstar wrote:
I believe that they are having to use more ERS than Ferrari because of lack of power and therefore, clipping at the end of the straights.