Renault R29

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Callum

Re: Renault R29

Is a transaxle a gearbox/diff all in one?

scarbs
scarbs

There a lot more carbon around it this year and the totally different torsion bar damper layout.

ISLAMATRON

Callum wrote:Is a transaxle a gearbox/diff all in one?
yep

ISLAMATRON

scarbs wrote:There a lot more carbon around it this year and the totally different torsion bar damper layout.
Please elaborate, or provide a pic of the R28 transaxle... I'm still looking.... you got a sweet job, being able to get a close look at all the cars.

Callum

ISLAMATRON wrote:
Callum wrote:Is a transaxle a gearbox/diff all in one?
yep
Thanks.

scarbs
scarbs

ISLAMATRON wrote:
scarbs wrote:There a lot more carbon around it this year and the totally different torsion bar damper layout.
Please elaborate, or provide a pic of the R28 transaxle... I'm still looking.... you got a sweet job, being able to get a close look at all the cars.
LAst years car has a mainly Ti case, with a limited amount of carbon bonded to it to reinforce the local area. This years case appears to be fully wrapped in Carbon.
The torsion bar\damper has been switched to the more common layout or longitudenal torsion bars running right down to the ballst at floor level, leavign the heave damper (No interter visible here) accross the top and the dampers tilted down into the top of the casing.

ISLAMATRON

Thanks Scarbs, you're a great guy for sharing with us like you do.

timbo
timbo

I've spotted new front wing on FA's car.

xpensive
xpensive

I have heard Ti has the same thermal-expansion as the carbon matrix, making this bonding possible, can this be correct?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

xpensive wrote:I have heard Ti has the same thermal-expansion as the carbon matrix, making this bonding possible, can this be correct?
Dunno...

I know its (ti) coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE) can be mucked about a bit by alloying - but I doubt they can drop an order of magnitude.

In plane, CFRP has a CTE of ~ 5 E-7 (out of plane that may jump to around 5 E-5 - but that is dependant on resin used)
Ti has a CTE of ~ 5E-6

Invar is probably the best metallic for working with composites (thermally), but its a bitch to work with mechanically.

What would the operating temperature of the titanium gearbox be?

How good would the thermal conductivity from ti to the CFRP be?

xpensive
xpensive

A factor of ten, eh?
Possibly gearbox temperature never gets that high, except locally at gears and bearings, but energy-losses are then quickly removed by the oil-circulation?

The splashing of oil on the inside should rather efectively give the casing a uniform temperature, why I doubt if you see much of a temp gradient between Ti and CFRP sections.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

ISLAMATRON

did renault have a major sidepod revision? Looks like they got ride of the saggy ass that they had before, or did I miss something?

timbo
timbo

Looks like that, and another iteration of front wing too.

zgred

timbo wrote:Looks like that, and another iteration of front wing too.
Seems like it is.

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

As there was no thread on the R28, I thought you'd like to see it anyway here..

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/0 ... ml#photo28

:lol:

United Arab Emirates champion rally driver Mohammed bin Sulayem crashes a Renault Formula 1 R28 during a drag race with a Ford GT, unseen, at the Dubai autodrome, Thursday April 9, as part of ING Renault F1 team's roadshow campaign in the United Arab Emirates
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners