2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
haza
haza

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Much better race today even though abit of luck was nicely handed to us hoping the team can get some updates bolted on in the coming races to close up but Mercedes also need to find out where they have gone wrong with this years PU clear to see the engine is at a deficit with mostly all merc powered teams in the bottom of the pack

McL-H
McL-H

1m0bius1 wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 20:53
Why is it always Dan that gets fd over.

Water leak last race.
Team failing to tell him ocon behind
And now...dnf
He has been very unlucky. But regardless of his lack of running in pre-season, he is up there fighting with Norris and that is very positive.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Result can always be due to luck but pace has to be on merit. Thus it's encouraging too see Lando being able to catch up to Ocon and go for the overtake.

Looks like we might be about Alpine pace - meaning midfield at the moment.

proteus

haza wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 21:00
Much better race today even though abit of luck was nicely handed to us hoping the team can get some updates bolted on in the coming races to close up but Mercedes also need to find out where they have gone wrong with this years PU clear to see the engine is at a deficit with mostly all merc powered teams in the bottom of the pack
One can say that Mclaren brake problems are luck for others and so on...The important thing is that you are atleast fast enough to collect points of those who fail to finish.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

proteus

Well....aparently not so great news:

If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

genarro
genarro

Lando being a bit brutal...

Emag
Emag

genarro wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 22:03
Yeah he shut down anything positive Rosana was trying to say before she even said it. But he is right though, they were losing massive amounts of time on the low-speed corners in Bahrain.

I just hope they manage to fix it a bit. It's just so weird that they actually tried to make the car more balanced than last year by improving low-speed performance through sacrificing some high-speed performance, but they apparently ended up sacrificing high-speed performance for even worse low-speed performance.

And it doesn't help that Mercedes seems a bit underpowered in these earlier races. So frustrating, but I am hopeful they can make it a bit better later on with upgrades.

Monaco is going to be a disaster if they don't. I don't look forward to seeing McLaren being lapped twice there ...

McL-H
McL-H

proteus wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 21:30
Well....aparently not so great news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq4AU1ou85w
Yes, but we knew that already. They are weak at slower corners and there are barely any here. Race #6 Barcelona should be good for us again, then Silverstone, race #10.

bauc

Good result for NOR, too bad we could not get P6 at the end but that's racing. Any info what caused the DNF for RIC?
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Emag
Emag

bauc wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 22:21
Good result for NOR, too bad we could not get P6 at the end but that's racing. Any info what caused the DNF for RIC?
We have no official information on what happened.

Also, do we have any sort of date on where to expect the first changes/upgrades to the car? These last couple of years, Spain was the track where most teams brought upgrades, because that used to be the first race back in Europe. So, for logistics reasons, it made sense to bring them there.

But this time we got Imola at R4 (and Spain at R6). So technically, the first race back in Europe is going to be Imola. Any rumors/info if the team plans on bringing something there?

Maybe PhilipM has heard something? :D

bauc

Emag wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 23:31
bauc wrote:

Also, do we have any sort of date on where to expect the first changes/upgrades to the car? These last couple of years, Spain was the track where most teams brought upgrades, because that used to be the first race back in Europe. So, for logistics reasons, it made sense to bring them there.

But this time we got Imola at R4 (and Spain at R6). So technically, the first race back in Europe is going to be Imola. Any rumors/info if the team plans on bringing something there?

I guess Spain, and if car is not showing real progress by Silverstone race, bye bye MCL-36 development.
Last edited by bauc on 27 Mar 2022, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

PhillipM
PhillipM

No info from me, I was working on my own racer all weekend, will ask around, Imola seems likely given they said 2-3 weeks for the initial brake fix/correction. I did hear it's put back some parts while they worked out what had gone wrong with sims, etc, though so it might be a slow start and then a big hunk of parts later.

M840TR
M840TR

Emag wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 23:31
bauc wrote:

Probably brake fixes next 2 races. Then upgrades Spain.

Vasco

Emag wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 22:10
genarro wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 22:03
Yeah he shut down anything positive Rosana was trying to say before she even said it. But he is right though, they were losing massive amounts of time on the low-speed corners in Bahrain.

I just hope they manage to fix it a bit. It's just so weird that they actually tried to make the car more balanced than last year by improving low-speed performance through sacrificing some high-speed performance, but they apparently ended up sacrificing high-speed performance for even worse low-speed performance.

And it doesn't help that Mercedes seems a bit underpowered in these earlier races. So frustrating, but I am hopeful they can make it a bit better later on with upgrades.

Monaco is going to be a disaster if they don't. I don't look forward to seeing McLaren being lapped twice there ...
To be honest, I like the calm, mature and honest approach and feedback provided by the team (Andreas / Zak / James / Lando etc). They are the first to admit that they haven't done a good enough job. Compare this to previous years where there was a blame culture and often promises were made of a silver bullet fix or upgrade to take the team to the front.

To me it seems that mechanically they have not gotten on top of the suspension changes made for this year (pull rod at the front and push rod at the back). While they have put a lot of effort on the suspension front, their outdated simulator probably doesn't give them the opportunity to properly validate their design choices. Even in the Barcelona tests it was reported several pages back that we were poor in sector 3, rvrn with the original brakes.

The upside is that if there is no fundamental flaw, there is probably a lot of room for improvement in mechanical setup and they can compare against RBR who are also using pullrod at the front and pushrod at the back. Also the underpowered Merc engine is probably a good thing for this new era as it will require more focus on the chassis to compensate for the engine deficit.

ScottR267
ScottR267