2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

That’s 2 races in a row now that McLaren leads the PitStops times… Not bad!

runningmanz
runningmanz

Nice result for Lando but gutted for Dan. He had the edge on Lando imo. He held off Lewis for ages whereas Lando got passed by him straight away. Also Dan held Lando off with a roughly 2 sec gap for a while on much older tyres. He got shafted by Latifi's crash as he was set to jump alot of cars in that first round of pitstops.

Emag
Emag

I can't believe they messed up the car when they finally seem to have fixed their pitstops.

We cannot catch a break man.

1m0bius1
1m0bius1

James key should be sacked.

I'm sorry there is no excuse. More than 1 year into feedback from Dan saying this philosophy won't bring championships. We are now basically the weakest in low speed. Same bull crap direction as last car. Not only that now we have a trash draggy car that isn't even dominant in high and medium speed. Basically slightly above midfield.

What has this clown been doing for two years. Supposed to be challenging ferrari

Xero

1m0bius1 wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 02:07

I'm sorry there is no excuse. More than 1 year into feedback from Dan saying this philosophy won't bring championships. We are now basically the weakest in low speed. Same bull crap direction as last car. Not only that now we have a trash draggy car that isn't even dominant in high and medium speed. Basically slightly above midfield.

What has this clown been doing for two years. Supposed to be challenging ferrari
Same philosophy? Please do explain, bearing in mind you're on a technical forum. They flipped the suspension geometry on both ends, have a vastly different aero platform based on an entirely new formula. They are missing raw downforce and PU power. That's it. James Key has no input on either of those. Prodromou as chief engineer is responsible for lack of downforce, and Mercedes troubles are well accepted at this point.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

runningmanz wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 01:37
Nice result for Lando but gutted for Dan. He had the edge on Lando imo. He held off Lewis for ages whereas Lando got passed by him straight away. Also Dan held Lando off with a roughly 2 sec gap for a while on much older tyres. He got shafted by Latifi's crash as he was set to jump alot of cars in that first round of pitstops.
Good race for Daniel, I wouldn’t go as far as saying that he had the edge on Lando since they were in different strategies… Daniel went for a short first stint (when he was holding Lewis) while Lando was going on a long stint and didn’t sacrificed tire wear on the Mediums versus Hamilton in what proved to be the better tire (Hards)… We can’t say that one was better than the other based on that… Regarding Daniel holding Lando, once again it was just both of them in tire preservation mode, once it was clear that Lando had more pace and was able to challenge for points, he actually was let go, the Team wouldn’t do this unless Lando had pace advantage (obvious do to the difference in tire life), but again I wouldn’t say that it gives Daniel an edge due to it.

It’s a shame on the timing of Latifi’s timing, Dan would have for sure made several positions, his pace was more than second faster than almost everyone running on the mediums in front of him… Of course the DNF is simply very bad luck.

Regardless of who had the edge on who in this race, the good thing is that both drivers were on a similar pace and that’s something that was really needed.

_cerber1

Seidl: Special mention for our pit-crew who did two excellent stops again today. We also have to apologise to Daniel. Without his mechanical failure we would have had both cars home in the points. We’ll analyse the exact cause of his DNF when we’re home.

runningmanz
runningmanz

Some fair points, I wonder how much Lando was struggling on the mediums as Hamilton seemed to pass Lando pretty easy, almost too easily it seemed. Yeah was right pissed off at Latifi crashing as Dan was in a great position to jump alot of cars at the first round of pitstops. Also the tyre wear was low on the hards as well which if he got into some clean air could have built a nice little buffer possibly and saved the tyres to defend later on.
His pace seems to be much more even with Lando these first two races so good signs hopefully, wonder if the better balance now is suiting him, just need the car sorted now particularly with these slow corners. Will be interesting to see if they can do it and make it sharper on turn in. At least the OZ track has removed some slow corners like 9 and 10 and widened abut 5 others so should suit our car alot more with a more flowing track.

runningmanz
runningmanz

Xero wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 02:44
1m0bius1 wrote:

Same philosophy? Please do explain, bearing in mind you're on a technical forum. They flipped the suspension geometry on both ends, have a vastly different aero platform based on an entirely new formula. They are missing raw downforce and PU power. That's it. James Key has no input on either of those. Prodromou as chief engineer is responsible for lack of downforce, and Mercedes troubles are well accepted at this point.
Yeah carrying on about Key like that is jumping the gun especially with these new regs, sure the pace isn't there at the moment but its apparently better handling than last years car, so hopefully a step in the right direction given the ultimate aim is a car that is quick at all tracks.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/02/26/ne ... -to-drive/

Just need to try and fix these slow corner issues which are still plaguing the car though for a start. The base car car they stated is future-proofed for alot of development so we are nowhere near our potential. We never brought any updates to Jeddah either unlike some teams. Too early to call the direction wrong as well. Let see how it pans out over the next 3 or 4 races when we now get some time to bring some updates instead of wasting time sorting the brake issue.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/what-mak ... -platform/

genarro
genarro

1m0bius1 wrote:

And Mercedes should sack their whole technical department. The have one of the biggest budgets and tehnical teams. Is clearlly that Mercedes has to (like McLaren) sack their whole technical team and immediatelly replace them with others. That way we will be on pole in Australia.
Last edited by genarro on 28 Mar 2022, 09:20, edited 2 times in total.

Emag
Emag

Firing James Key will only set us back further. Also, think about this. You fired him, but now what? Who is to replace him?

It's disappointing they went back like this, because there was a chance to take points from Mercedes these earlier races if they were on same form like last year.

But can't do anything about it now. They just have to try and fix it.
Last edited by Emag on 28 Mar 2022, 10:53, edited 1 time in total.

zxof
zxof

I've been a McLaren fan since the first GP I watched in 1992, stopped following F1 in early 2000, resumed in 2012 and enduring the hard times from 2013 - 2018. This year so far is heartbreaking....

Marc.W

1m0bius1 wrote:

What a load of nonsense.

Emag
Emag

zxof wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 09:37
I've been a McLaren fan since the first GP I watched in 1992, stopped following F1 in early 2000, resumed in 2012 and enduring the hard times from 2013 - 2018. This year so far is heartbreaking....
Yeah it's very sad because there were no indications it was going to turn out like this.

At least in 2015 we knew Honda had problems and we kinda braced for it. But this was like a punch to the gut.

From looking like on of the better teams in Barcelona, to being barely faster than Williams/Aston in Bahrain.

It is even more painful because the team was on the up since 2019. Nobody expected them to take a step back this season. And if they were to take a step back, I still wouldn't have expected it to be so significant.

proteus

_cerber1 wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 07:30
Seidl: Special mention for our pit-crew who did two excellent stops again today. We also have to apologise to Daniel. Without his mechanical failure we would have had both cars home in the points. We’ll analyse the exact cause of his DNF when we’re home.
Sounded like a blown turbo squeek to me.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows