2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
iychche
iychche

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

First post on this forum. I've been a Hamilton fan since his debut and as you can expect, been extremely happy since 2014. After 2020, I thought 8 titles were a given.. Reading the above posts, I have a feeling (no data to back it up) that W13 will be a midfield car and Hamilton will not have a win this year :-(. I hope I am proved wrong.

Big Tea

chrisc90 wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 20:36
NicoS wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 16:56
I have noticed a lot less social media postings from AMG Mercedes Wo13 F1 team. especially on Twitter.
when they do post, there seems to be a lot less "cockiness" surrounding their postings.
why would that be? do they have a new social media poster? someone more down to earth? more cut to size?
It is very noticeable.
Maybe its because other teams will absolutely rinse them when they try to be clever. Such as this one:

I guess when your doing performances like that...theres not really much to shout about.
Merc are in it for the glory. If they are not doing well they are not going to crow about how mediocre they are 'cos theres no sales in it
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PlatinumZealot

chrisc90 wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 20:36
NicoS wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 16:56
I have noticed a lot less social media postings from AMG Mercedes Wo13 F1 team. especially on Twitter.
when they do post, there seems to be a lot less "cockiness" surrounding their postings.
why would that be? do they have a new social media poster? someone more down to earth? more cut to size?
It is very noticeable.
Maybe its because other teams will absolutely rinse them when they try to be clever. Such as this one:

I guess when your doing performances like that...theres not really much to shout about.
It's same for all sports. Why celebrate losing? It's not rational for a winning team to do so?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

f1jcw
f1jcw

iychche wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 19:16
First post on this forum. I've been a Hamilton fan since his debut and as you can expect, been extremely happy since 2014. After 2020, I thought 8 titles were a given.. Reading the above posts, I have a feeling (no data to back it up) that W13 will be a midfield car and Hamilton will not have a win this year :-(. I hope I am proved wrong.
I could live with the merc being poor this year if it wasn’t for the ending of 2021. It leaves a bad taste.

InsaneX_Badger

Tbh I just hope Lewis gets A win this season. If Hungary doesn't happen then it looks gloomy indeed.

Evo2racer
Evo2racer

InsaneX_Badger wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 23:33
Tbh I just hope Lewis gets A win this season. If Hungary doesn't happen then it looks gloomy indeed.
Monaco should also be a win no?

Big Tea

With my doom and gloom hat on, and don't take it TOO seriously I wonder how far down this road Merc would go if things did not improve and did not look as if the would?

They started from a low but could see a path to improvement and used it physically and to show off the brand. If things are frozen now though anyone think there may be a time when they do not see it as showing them in a good light and move on?
I feel reasonably sure they will not, but pulling out at the end of this year would leave them with a hell of a record in the history books.

I feel sure the team would keep at it, but sometimes board rooms do not think like us.

InsaneX_Badger

With Merc owning a third of the team. Do they completely own HPP?

Big Tea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqfpjFwMZDQ

Edd Straws view of Ham's race.

silver
silver

Big Tea wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 09:55
With my doom and gloom hat on, and don't take it TOO seriously I wonder how far down this road Merc would go if things did not improve and did not look as if the would?

They started from a low but could see a path to improvement and used it physically and to show off the brand. If things are frozen now though anyone think there may be a time when they do not see it as showing them in a good light and move on?
I feel reasonably sure they will not, but pulling out at the end of this year would leave them with a hell of a record in the history books.

I feel sure the team would keep at it, but sometimes board rooms do not think like us.
They did a short stint in Formula E and pulled out. So pulling out of F1, if it doesn't continue to provide the success platform for their brand that they enjoyed in recent times, is probably an option they would exercise. The longer they wait for regaining the success, the sharper the fall would be for the F1 race team's stocks. IIRC they had a lot of pressure to shut down the F1 program in 2012 when they were struggling, but Dr Zetsche had the appetite to invest more to become successful. There will be boardroom pressure if they don't start winning soon.

McG

basti313 wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 11:10
McG wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 11:00
lh13 wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 08:12
What I'm saying is, Mercedes chassis department has been 'saved' by their engine department often in the recent past. Mercedes always had good chassis, that much is clear, but never 'great' chassis, that is all I'm saying. They've produced cars with 'downforce at all cost' more often than not, stick whatever we can to make the aero work, and it was all possible due to their PU advantage. In short, they've been building their chassis around the capabilities of their PU, with 'dirty' downforce, hence my opinion that they've never built great chassis.

This year, Toto has admitted that they're running a lot of drag. This is not just the drag from the wings. In Saudi Arabia, they're running perhaps the shallowest wing and still nowhere on the straights, so the entire car is draggy.

Are they so incompetent that they didn't know how much drag they were running in the wind tunnel? No, I believe they knew exactly how much drag they were running, and it was a conscious decision as they were confident that their PU will get them through, once again, but now they're caught off guard because of their PU deficit, which I believe is a thing, while many others are not believing.

Popoising actually might be 'saving their face' at the moment, as they look to have problems that expand beyong the scope of popoising. Only time will tell.

Again, this is all my opinion, hence my post in the 'non-technical' thread. Please don't ask for 'data', I don't know where to get it.
In an interview on Beyond The Grid one of the Mercedes engineers or designers, or was it the one with 3 of them, said that in the early hybrid years everyone thought they were gaining most of their dominance from the engine, when in fact it was the chassis. And that they kept this illusion up for some time. I invite you to go and listen to the hours of interviews before going on your own made up hunch. Mercedes never having a great chassis is only arguable in the sense that Red Bull have maybe been better, which wouldn't be surprising. But Red Bull a lot of the time were pushed to break the rules by implementing things like flexible rear wings. Again, your hunch doesn't really work.
Nonsense with flex wings. Everyone had to flex the wings, Merc maybe most on the front wing. They also exploited oil burning always to the maximum. Everyone goes to the allowed maximum.
If you're saying here that Mercedes front wing flexing, which all teams have had for decades, equates to being on par with what Red Bull have got up to over the years, then you're living on another planet.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

PlatinumZealot

silver wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 14:16
Big Tea wrote:

They did a short stint in Formula E and pulled out. So pulling out of F1, if it doesn't continue to provide the success platform for their brand that they enjoyed in recent times, is probably an option they would exercise. The longer they wait for regaining the success, the sharper the fall would be for the F1 race team's stocks. IIRC they had a lot of pressure to shut down the F1 program in 2012 when they were struggling, but Dr Zetsche had the appetite to invest more to become successful. There will be boardroom pressure if they don't start winning soon.
Comparing the value of Formula e to Formula 1 is nuts! Totally different value in terms of development of technologies and marketing exposure. Mercedes will stay in F1 because according to them it has added billions in value over the years.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Big Tea

PlatinumZealot wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 15:19
silver wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

Comparing the value of Formula e to Formula 1 is nuts! Totally different value in terms of development of technologies and marketing exposure. Mercedes will stay in F1 because according to them it has added billions in value over the years.
Is that still so if they do not look so good?
I really hope I am scaremongering as I have heard nothing about it from anywhere notable, but I could not sleep and mull things through :twisted:

silver
silver

PlatinumZealot wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 15:19
silver wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

It didn't literally add billions to their bottom line or revenues. F1 success provided marketing value worth billions. But that market visibility position is fluidic. In that world, your position is as good as it is today where you were yesterday is of no relevance. There is every chance they would stay if they show recovery towards glory otherwise, my guess is as good as anyone else's.

Mattchu

InsaneX_Badger wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 10:01
With Merc owning a third of the team. Do they completely own HPP?
Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains Limited is a wholly owned subsidary of Mercedes Benz Uk Limited with the ultimate controlling party Daimler AG.