2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
_cerber1

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Mansell89 wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 21:49
And secondly- any real word about the Mercedes PU performance? A very suspect lack of discussion from the customers so far despite the headline grabbing speed trap data.
Mercedes engineers say that the shortage of the power plant is currently 0.1-0.2 seconds, it is obvious that customers have no reason to blame their engine supplier.

#AMuS: Some experts believe the huge Mercedes deficit is coming from PU.
Mercedes engineer: "It's one or two tenths at most [engine]. The poor top speeds are mainly due to the higher drag"
They say the rear wing is primarily responsible for the lack of straight line speed.

genarro
genarro

_cerber1 wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 06:52
Mansell89 wrote:
And secondly- any real word about the Mercedes PU performance? A very suspect lack of discussion from the customers so far despite the headline grabbing speed trap data.
Mercedes engineers say that the shortage of the power plant is currently 0.1-0.2 seconds, it is obvious that customers have no reason to blame their engine supplier.

Mercedes engineer: "It's one or two tenths at most [engine]. The poor top speeds are mainly due to the higher drag"
They say the rear wing is primarily responsible for the lack of straight line speed.
we simply didnt do a good enough of a job. but i think that by the middle of the season we will have a podium

Emag
Emag

genarro wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 13:06
_cerber1 wrote:
Mansell89 wrote:

we simply didnt do a good enough of a job. but i think that by the middle of the season we will have a podium
If you mean a podium on pace without luck then there has to be a monumental amount of improvement, because both RB and Ferrari are at a similar level and quite far in front of pretty much everyone.

Top 4 is kind of locked in every race. And perhaps more if Mercedes sorts itself out.

billamend
billamend

Emag wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 13:26
And perhaps more if Mercedes sorts itself out.
If rumours are accurate and the porpoising on the Mercedes is a suspension problem (not aero), then I imagine it will take quite a bit of time for them to fix.

mclaren111

billamend wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 13:28
Emag wrote:
If rumours are accurate and the porpoising on the Mercedes is a suspension problem (not aero), then I imagine it will take quite a bit of time for them to fix.

[-o< [-o<

:D :D

McG

After watching F1 for decades, all the ups and downs of each team, each era, each rule change, it really makes you realise you just have to watch it race by race by race and enjoy it no matter who is doing well or who is doing crap. It's pointless to get flustered when "your team" isn't doing well and come on a forum that "your team" doesn't even read and give positive or negative comments. We have little or nothing to do with McLaren or any team. Maybe McLaren will be on top again after their new wind tunnel is in action, maybe not.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

Emag
Emag

McG wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 15:01
After watching F1 for decades, all the ups and downs of each team, each era, each rule change, it really makes you realise you just have to watch it race by race by race and enjoy it no matter who is doing well or who is doing crap. It's pointless to get flustered when "your team" isn't doing well and come on a forum that "your team" doesn't even read and give positive or negative comments. We have little or nothing to do with McLaren or any team. Maybe McLaren will be on top again after their new wind tunnel is in action, maybe not.
I will just put it like this.

I like the sport a lot, and I enjoy following it regardless of the results. But if McLaren were competitive (fighting for wins/podiums more often), I would enjoy it much more.

mclaren111

Emag wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 16:57
McG wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 15:01
I will just put it like this.

I like the sport a lot, and I enjoy following it regardless of the results. But if McLaren were competitive (fighting for wins/podiums more often), I would enjoy it much more.

Ditto...

diffuser

_cerber1 wrote:
Mansell89 wrote:

Since drag increases exponential with speed, it more likely mostly caused by drag. 10 hp more or less doesn't make a big top speed difference.

mwillems

genarro wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 13:06
_cerber1 wrote:
Mansell89 wrote:

We only have corner entry, corner exit and low speed corners to fix and then we can win the championship. That's not a long list, right? :mrgreen:
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

kfrantzios
kfrantzios

billamend wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 13:28
Emag wrote:
Correct me if i am wrong but porpoising is aero related by definition

billamend
billamend

kfrantzios wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 21:47
Correct me if i am wrong but porpoising is aero related by definition
Not according to James Allison.

Edit: Correction, what Allison said is that the explanations we've been given are not accurate.

_cerber1

Cause dnf RIC?

Lucky
Lucky

Audi will offer around 500 million euros ($556.30 million) for McLaren
https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sport ... c=401&null

EddyBaggio

Lucky wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 15:27
Audi will offer around 500 million euros ($556.30 million) for McLaren
https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sport ... c=401&null
That would secure the fundning for the forseable future.