Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
LostInTranslation
LostInTranslation

Re: Ferrari F1-75

Looking at comparative photos, the Ferrari had a rear wing pan (a big padel): which means more grip but more drag.

In addition, the front wing is more discharged for SF, probably because the downforce comes from the body of the car, from the side bellies (sidepods).

I foresee an adjustment in aerodynamics in these terms:

- increase the front load in terms of incidence
- streamlining of the sidepods
- reduction of the incidence of the rear wing.

I'm sure they are working on these things but, as always, late.

PS1: Have you noticed how present Newey is in the pits, often even at the starting line with a notebook and a pen in hand?

PS2: Who knows what Cardile and Sanchez look like?

PS3: This is also how a creature is healed and fed, I would even say a creation
Last edited by LostInTranslation on 29 Mar 2022, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.

matteosc
matteosc

LostInTranslation wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 17:37
Looking at comparative photos, the Ferrari had a rear wing pan (a big padel): which means more grip but more drag.

In addition, the front wing is more discharged for SF, probably because the downforce comes from the body of the car, from the side bellies (sidepods).

PS1: Have you noticed how present Newey is in the pits, often even at the starting line with a notebook and a pen in hand?

Considering how much downforce Ferrari had and how balanced it looked, I think they are somehow able to generate a good level of downforce at the front without using large incidence, which is a good sign.

I do not think that increasing front wing incidence is something beneficial per se, it should just be used to balance the car. If it was balanced in Saudi Arabia (a front-limited track) with a big rear wing, decreasing read wing and increasing front wing will not be useful, in my opinion.

Also streamlining the sidepodes will not help drag reduction. As it was "proved" in this thread, the big sidepodes help in reducing the drag coming from the rear tires and reduce the overall drag. Smaller does not always mean less drag.

Lastly, I think that Ferrari is still suffering from a small amount of porpoising, which they are limiting running the car a little higher than optimal (not as much as Mercedes does, of course). A better handling of the problem would allow them to run lower and generate more downforce from the floor, which in turns would allow them to reduce rear wing and drag.

Just my two cents...

LM10
LM10

LostInTranslation wrote:

"Late"? May I know your arguments behind that? Already in pre season testing Binotto told that the first upgrades will not come in the first couple of races, but instead they will aim to further understand the car and exploit it's potential as there is much to learn on that new car - before bringing upgrades to one of the European races (looks like it might be Imola).

As for Newey looking at other cars with a notebook and a pen... well he's been doing that for ages and he's pretty much the only one out there doing that. I don't know why Cardile and Sanchez need to do that to prove that they're on it. That's a weird comparison to be honest.

LostInTranslation
LostInTranslation

OK, all right. But my thoughts remain. At least one of them should be with the car at every GP, and not hiding in the remote garage (remote garage? Yes, a suggestion of mine from ten years ago that was accepted).

dialtone
dialtone

LostInTranslation wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 18:08

OK, all right. But my thoughts remain. At least one of them should be with the car at every GP, and not hiding in the remote garage (remote garage? Yes, a suggestion of mine from ten years ago that was accepted).
Why? What is there to gain from them being on track and losing time to travel?

LM10
LM10

It’s hilarious that Tifosi will always find stuff to criticize about, even if things are going well. This time it’s engineers not standing next to the car with a notebook and a pen. =D>
Last edited by LM10 on 29 Mar 2022, 20:52, edited 1 time in total.

JPower
JPower

LostInTranslation wrote:

PS3: This is also how a creature is healed and fed, I would even say a creation
:D :D :D :D

This has to be a joke.

I watched a recent interview with Newey and he says the pen and paper are basically a fake. He doesn't even do anything with them anymore.

Ferrari engineers are more than capable of assessing their weaknesses without needing to copy others' idiosyncrasies.

LostInTranslation
LostInTranslation

matteosc wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 17:55
LostInTranslation wrote:

Considering how much downforce Ferrari had and how balanced it looked, I think they are somehow able to generate a good level of downforce at the front without using large incidence, which is a good sign.

I do not think that increasing front wing incidence is something beneficial per se, it should just be used to balance the car. If it was balanced in Saudi Arabia (a front-limited track) with a big rear wing, decreasing read wing and increasing front wing will not be useful, in my opinion.

Also streamlining the sidepodes will not help drag reduction. As it was "proved" in this thread, the big sidepodes help in reducing the drag coming from the rear tires and reduce the overall drag. Smaller does not always mean less drag.

Lastly, I think that Ferrari is still suffering from a small amount of porpoising, which they are limiting running the car a little higher than optimal (not as much as Mercedes does, of course). A better handling of the problem would allow them to run lower and generate more downforce from the floor, which in turns would allow them to reduce rear wing and drag.

Just my two cents...
You said it right, it's all about porpoising. The power of the engine is there. Just a little weight loss cure, I think.

vorticism

𓄀

LostInTranslation
LostInTranslation

LM10 wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 17:56
LostInTranslation wrote:

"Late"? May I know your arguments behind that? Already in pre season testing Binotto told that the first upgrades will not come in the first couple of races, but instead they will aim to further understand the car and exploit it's potential as there is much to learn on that new car - before bringing upgrades to one of the European races (looks like it might be Imola).

As for Newey looking at other cars with a notebook and a pen... well he's been doing that for ages and he's pretty much the only one out there doing that. I don't know why Cardile and Sanchez need to do that to prove that they're on it. That's a weird comparison to be honest.
The results in years speak for themselves, don't they?

LostInTranslation
LostInTranslation

However you put it or think about it, in my opinion it is the most beautiful car. Then, whether it will win or not, is another matter.

LM10
LM10

LostInTranslation wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 23:10
LM10 wrote:
LostInTranslation wrote:

The results in years speak for themselves, don't they?
We're not in past years. It's 2022. Things can change.

LostInTranslation
LostInTranslation

LM10 wrote:
LostInTranslation wrote:

I think you did not understand the meaning of my post. This is what makes the difference. Also in terms of updates and future developments. Being in the field, observing, taking notes, copying ... that's what makes the difference. I don't think Newey is a genius, rather it's his humility that makes him a great person.

This is simply what makes the difference. Binotto is a good person, but he lacks the garra to be someone who makes himself heard. Just think of the shame of Perez not giving way to Sainz, after SC, and Verstappen who gained a second or more after Virtual Safety Car (are we kidding or what?).

FIA ? An english total Mafia.

Andi76
Andi76

LostInTranslation wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 00:39
LM10 wrote:
LostInTranslation wrote:

I think you did not understand the meaning of my post. This is what makes the difference. Also in terms of updates and future developments. Being in the field, observing, taking notes, copying ... that's what makes the difference. I don't think Newey is a genius, rather it's his humility that makes him a great person.

This is simply what makes the difference. Binotto is a good person, but he lacks the garra to be someone who makes himself heard. Just think of the shame of Perez not giving way to Sainz, after SC, and Verstappen who gained a second or more after Virtual Safety Car (are we kidding or what?).

FIA ? An english total Mafia.
Being on the grid with a pen and making notes or not does not make the difference. You don't need to do that. There are enough images of the cars you can study. Teams are even hiring people to take pictures of cars and areas of interest. Also they can still look at the cars in detail in parc ferme. Some may not know that, but there still a rule that allows engineers to take a look at the oppositions cars in parc ferme. Newey himself explained this his book and that taking a look at the opposition on the grid is non-sense, as you have the possibility to study them without any mechanics in parc ferme. He just does that to make them nervous.
Also, if you look closely, you never saw people like Rory Byrne or John Owen doing this. And Rory Byrne was even more sucessfull than Newey before he quit his job as chief-designer in spring 2004 and John Owen was also more sucessfull than Newey recently.

So walking around the grid with a notepad and a pen does not make any difference. And as i said - Newey himself even said this in his book.