2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

EddyBaggio wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 16:19
Lucky wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 15:27
Audi will offer around 500 million euros ($556.30 million) for McLaren
https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sport ... c=401&null
That would secure the fundning for the forseable future.
But they would have nowhere to spend it as Audi would own the team :mrgreen:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

EddyBaggio

Big Tea wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 16:41
EddyBaggio wrote:
Lucky wrote:
But they would have nowhere to spend it as Audi would own the team :mrgreen:
Hehe Ofc I talked about the funding behind the VW group;)

Emag
Emag

Is the status of a factory team really that beneficial when power unit development is frozen for multiple years?

What sort of an advantage can the factory team have on the customers if the PU design remains the same every year. It gives everyone time to adapt, so at some point it's just diminishing returns.

And sure, the money from Audi is nice, but they will not even be able to spend most of it in the F1 programme due to the budget cap.

I don't really see a huge appeal in this deal, especially at the cost of McLarens brand independence.

But even if they go for it, I don't think it's going to make things worse for them anyway.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

New McLaren Pit Stop guns… LED’s on the wheel to allow the crew to know the status of the gun operation (white idle, red during operation, green when tightened)

AtlasZX

If Audi buy the team, and Porsche buy RBPT, we will see a McLaren-Honda again... kinda.
But seriously, I don't think a Audi owned team will use Mercedes, Renault or Ferrari engines, even if they're rebadged ones.

Balalu
Balalu

The question is, will it still be McLaren? Why would Audi buy McLaren to keep it as McLaren? Wouldn't VW group be doing that if anything?
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

Big Tea

Balalu wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 23:32
The question is, will it still be McLaren? Why would Audi buy McLaren to keep it as McLaren? Wouldn't VW group be doing that if anything?
I would think that unless they are also thinking of acquiring title to the supercars they would want their own brand associated with the team name if they are considering taking the whole cake. There could be mileage for them to keep the Mclaren name alongside and call it (say) Mclaren Audi if they just take a controlling interest though and it would be easier for them to 'sell on' if the need arose.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

diffuser

EddyBaggio wrote:
Lucky wrote:
That goes to the owners of the McLaren group. VW gets the team with its debit.

MrGapes

Would VW purchase a majority share? Or outright the whole thing?

mclaren111

SmallSoldier wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 19:33
New McLaren Pit Stop guns… LED’s on the wheel to allow the crew to know the status of the gun operation (white idle, red during operation, green when tightened)

https://i.imgur.com/hEfrNZD.jpg

=D> =D>

Now we just need a fast car...

vorticism

Emag wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 17:01
Is the status of a factory team really that beneficial when power unit development is frozen for multiple years?

What sort of an advantage can the factory team have on the customers if the PU design remains the same every year. It gives everyone time to adapt, so at some point it's just diminishing returns.

And sure, the money from Audi is nice, but they will not even be able to spend most of it in the F1 programme due to the budget cap.

I don't really see a huge appeal in this deal, especially at the cost of McLarens brand independence.

But even if they go for it, I don't think it's going to make things worse for them anyway.
Might be a good time to enter, now that the engines are locked in. They get to baseline all of the engines through 2022, and then build their engine to that spec. Worst case, they take some penalties in their first season introducing a few extra updates. Audi, like Merc, should be able to produce a good one--they supplied to DTM and WEC to good effect, plus all their mass market manufacturing data.
𓄀

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Emag wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 17:01

The problem is McLaren has a hard time to keep their heads up as a car manufacturer in these modern times. Adding VW technology can help make the cars more profitable or make it interesting to develop an entry level McLaren. For Audi it is an interesting brand next to Audi RS, Lamborghini, Bugatti.

The F1 team is an essential element for the brand identity of McLaren.

mclaren111

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ricc ... m/9537420/

Ricciardo:
“Obviously a week ago, it was a bit of a, let’s call it, crisis mode. I think we've quickly got ourselves out of that.

“But it's true we've got to turn the ship around and I think he's at least one of the best guys to do it (Seidl).
So ask me in six months' time and maybe I won't be surprised with where we are.”

Six months is a long time... :( :(

Lucky
Lucky

Volkswagen AG’s Audi brand raised its offer to gain a foothold in sports car brand McLaren to 650 million euros ($718 million) from 450 million euros, according to a report by the Germany’s Automobilwoche.

The idea is to take a stake in McLaren’s Formula 1 unit, while an investment in the sports car maker itself could happen in a second step, Automobilwoche reported, without saying how it obtained the information. The two parties plan to sign a letter of intent on Monday and Volkswagen’s supervisory board will discuss the matter later this month, according to the publication.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... mobilwoche

Jolle
Jolle

MrGapes wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 06:45
Would VW purchase a majority share? Or outright the whole thing?
probally bit by bit, same way Daimler was doing in the nineties. This way they keep the aura of the McLaren brand even when, after a few years, it's 100% part of the VW organisation.