Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: Ferrari F1-75

SiLo

LostInTranslation wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 00:39
LM10 wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 17:56
LostInTranslation wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 17:37
Looking at comparative photos, the Ferrari had a rear wing pan (a big padel): which means more grip but more drag.

In addition, the front wing is more discharged for SF, probably because the downforce comes from the body of the car, from the side bellies (sidepods).

I foresee an adjustment in aerodynamics in these terms:

- increase the front load in terms of incidence
- streamlining of the sidepods
- reduction of the incidence of the rear wing.

I'm sure they are working on these things but, as always, late.

PS1: Have you noticed how present Newey is in the pits, often even at the starting line with a notebook and a pen in hand?

PS2: Who knows what Cardile and Sanchez look like?
"Late"? May I know your arguments behind that? Already in pre season testing Binotto told that the first upgrades will not come in the first couple of races, but instead they will aim to further understand the car and exploit it's potential as there is much to learn on that new car - before bringing upgrades to one of the European races (looks like it might be Imola).

As for Newey looking at other cars with a notebook and a pen... well he's been doing that for ages and he's pretty much the only one out there doing that. I don't know why Cardile and Sanchez need to do that to prove that they're on it. That's a weird comparison to be honest.
I think you did not understand the meaning of my post. This is what makes the difference. Also in terms of updates and future developments. Being in the field, observing, taking notes, copying ... that's what makes the difference. I don't think Newey is a genius, rather it's his humility that makes him a great person.

This is simply what makes the difference. Binotto is a good person, but he lacks the garra to be someone who makes himself heard. Just think of the shame of Perez not giving way to Sainz, after SC, and Verstappen who gained a second or more after Virtual Safety Car (are we kidding or what?).

FIA ? An english total Mafia.
Find it quite funny saying Newey is filled with humility. He does also have a history of creating duds because he won't change his approach. Although I think that happens less these days with how the teams work and the quality of the tools available to them.
Felipe Baby!

Polite
Polite

dialtone wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 18:46
LostInTranslation wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 18:08

OK, all right. But my thoughts remain. At least one of them should be with the car at every GP, and not hiding in the remote garage (remote garage? Yes, a suggestion of mine from ten years ago that was accepted).
Why? What is there to gain from them being on track and losing time to travel?
Cardile was in the box at Barcelona. Sanchez was in the pit in Bahrein.. Sanchez immediately focused on the Mecca floor.

Drift4794
Drift4794

https://www.formu1a.uno/ferrari-al-lavo ... lla-f1-75/

Duchessa reports:
Ferrari working to improve the F1-75's aerodynamic efficiency

While Red Bull will be extracting more performance by lightening the RB18, Ferrari is working on a number of fronts with the important aim of improving the F1-75's efficiency. A car born from the minds that also gave birth to the SF70H, also the first car in a new set of regulations, which shares the F1-75's less-than-excellent aerodynamic efficiency but excellent slow-moving, traction and tyre management skills.

As David Sanchez mentioned earlier, Maranello is working on a new underbody that will solve the problems of aerodynamic lift. This would allow the Italian car to express itself to its full potential. At Ferrari, they haven't yet managed to manage the porpoising as well as on the RB18. "There was a lot of talk about Mclaren during the first tests, but Red Bull is the team that had the least problems with porpoising," an Alfa Romeo engineer told us. "I'm sure Newey foresaw it in the design phase and worked on the mechanics as well as the aerodynamics to solve it.

Ferrari uses slightly higher ride heights than the RB18 to avoid deleterious wheelspin at high speeds and when braking, especially hard braking, as well as a tie rod at the rear of the bottom. This component avoids excessive bending of the outer parts that run closer to the ground, allowing a greater load to be generated at the bottom, but with an important limitation: a minimum height that generates flow separation, thus activating porpoising. Eliminating the tie rod would mean strengthening the bottom, with losses in terms of both budget and weight. Hence the Fia concession of a component otherwise considered illegal.

The particular aerodynamic concept of the F1-75 manages, however, to limit the small percentage loss of load on the lower part of the car, generating it with the upper part, which, however, costs something more in terms of drag. Tyres and rear wing are the macro components that, on this new generation of cars, generate the highest percentage of aerodynamic resistance.

Bringing to the track a surface that would allow Ferrari to run the F1-75 even closer to the ground would allow the rear wing to be unloaded and consequently improve the aerodynamic efficiency of the Italian car, making an important step forward in terms of performance. Ferrari has also left itself some room for manoeuvre when it comes to the belly pods in order to reduce their size.

"The developments we are working on, we will only introduce them when we are sure they are mature enough to allow us to take a proper step forward." Waiting for further confirmation, not before Imola.
I used DeepL to translate but might have a few errors

dialtone
dialtone

dialtone wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 05:18
ringo wrote:
I hope you all are this confident after three races. :mrgreen:
Last reply to you because you’re trolling: everyone is confident Ferrari has a good car, nobody said they’ll lap everyone before half race, nor even that they will 100% win.

Stay calm and keep believing in whatever parallel reality you live in.
According to the formu1a.uno article the aero efficiency problem is due to the wing being bigger to counter porpoising which isn't yet under control, which is something we all could see in saudi arabia.

wowgr8
wowgr8

"I'm sure Newey foresaw it in the design phase and worked on the mechanics as well as the aerodynamics to solve it.
If Red Bull's solution to porpoising is mechanical they'll have that advantage over everyone for a really long time, I know redesigning suspension is a lot tougher than aero upgrades

MoP
MoP

According to ScarbsTech latest twitter post RB's solution for porpoising is suspension related as they have some sort of 'intelligent' fluid in the suspension.

Jin666
Jin666

MoP wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 12:07
According to ScarbsTech latest twitter post RB's solution for porpoising is suspension related as they have some sort of 'intelligent' fluid in the suspension.
April fool? :lol:

motobaleno

MoP wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 12:07
scarbs tweet is likely a 1 april joke:
custard damper...
ending in a custard pie if overheated...

MoP
MoP

I just realised. Sorry, silly me 😅

dialtone
dialtone

wowgr8 wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 11:30
"I'm sure Newey foresaw it in the design phase and worked on the mechanics as well as the aerodynamics to solve it.
If Red Bull's solution to porpoising is mechanical they'll have that advantage over everyone for a really long time, I know redesigning suspension is a lot tougher than aero upgrades
In pre-season testing they said to have introduced a suspension that behaves differently above 250kmh.
https://www.sportskeeda.com/f1/news-red ... journalist

And indeed Horner said that both cars were going to be running the new suspension:

I wouldn't know if solving it aerodynamically or via suspension is better/easier or worse/harder, but Ferrari doesn't seem to have trouble in the traction areas and in slow corners so I don't think their suspension puts them at a particular mechanical disadvantage today except for porpoising.

Andi76
Andi76

rafeyahmad wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 18:45
https://www.formu1a.uno/ferrari-al-lavo ... lla-f1-75/

Duchessa reports:
Ferrari working to improve the F1-75's aerodynamic efficiency

While Red Bull will be extracting more performance by lightening the RB18, Ferrari is working on a number of fronts with the important aim of improving the F1-75's efficiency. A car born from the minds that also gave birth to the SF70H, also the first car in a new set of regulations, which shares the F1-75's less-than-excellent aerodynamic efficiency but excellent slow-moving, traction and tyre management skills.

As David Sanchez mentioned earlier, Maranello is working on a new underbody that will solve the problems of aerodynamic lift. This would allow the Italian car to express itself to its full potential. At Ferrari, they haven't yet managed to manage the porpoising as well as on the RB18. "There was a lot of talk about Mclaren during the first tests, but Red Bull is the team that had the least problems with porpoising," an Alfa Romeo engineer told us. "I'm sure Newey foresaw it in the design phase and worked on the mechanics as well as the aerodynamics to solve it.

Ferrari uses slightly higher ride heights than the RB18 to avoid deleterious wheelspin at high speeds and when braking, especially hard braking, as well as a tie rod at the rear of the bottom. This component avoids excessive bending of the outer parts that run closer to the ground, allowing a greater load to be generated at the bottom, but with an important limitation: a minimum height that generates flow separation, thus activating porpoising. Eliminating the tie rod would mean strengthening the bottom, with losses in terms of both budget and weight. Hence the Fia concession of a component otherwise considered illegal.

The particular aerodynamic concept of the F1-75 manages, however, to limit the small percentage loss of load on the lower part of the car, generating it with the upper part, which, however, costs something more in terms of drag. Tyres and rear wing are the macro components that, on this new generation of cars, generate the highest percentage of aerodynamic resistance.

Bringing to the track a surface that would allow Ferrari to run the F1-75 even closer to the ground would allow the rear wing to be unloaded and consequently improve the aerodynamic efficiency of the Italian car, making an important step forward in terms of performance. Ferrari has also left itself some room for manoeuvre when it comes to the belly pods in order to reduce their size.

"The developments we are working on, we will only introduce them when we are sure they are mature enough to allow us to take a proper step forward." Waiting for further confirmation, not before Imola.
I used DeepL to translate but might have a few errors
Of course i do not know the numbers regarding aero-efficiency, and i can be wrong here, but i do not believe that the F1-75 really is less efficient aerodynamically. I think its more about different approaches in that regard and in the course of the season both teams will optimise their losses and come closer together. While Red Bull, because of their problems with Mercedes in 2021, put a lot of effort on Top-Speed, Ferrari had the problem of loosing time in low speed corners. So they put a lot of effort on improving in this area. Both were sucessfull obviously. But i think its more about different approaches and ironing-out your weakness than about aero-efficiency. I also think its a little bit strange to say one car is aerodynamically more efficient than another car. Without a car that efficient aerodynamically you cannot win in F1. At least in my book and experience. And there can be some other reasons than aero-efficiency.

GrrG

Tzk
Tzk

Andi76 wrote:
02 Apr 2022, 07:05
I also think its a little bit strange to say one car is aerodynamically more efficient than another car. Without a car that efficient aerodynamically you cannot win in F1. At least in my book and experience. And there can be some other reasons than aero-efficiency.
I guess that some people mix up aero efficiency with downforce. Of course a top car will generate more drag when you set it up for more downforce. But still the efficiency can be quite good. I assume that Ferrari ran more wing than RB and thus had more drag and was slower on the straights. I also consider both cars about equal in speed, but both got their individual strengths and weaknesses, as mentioned in the quoted article. It's just that RB got away with a bit less DF than Ferrari in Jeddah. In return Ferrari used a bit more DF as they thought a bit less DF would have a negative effect on tyre life. They now saw that this was not the case, so we can expect them to run a tad less wing on the next race, if possible.

Big Tea

Tzk wrote:
02 Apr 2022, 12:10
Andi76 wrote:
02 Apr 2022, 07:05
I also think its a little bit strange to say one car is aerodynamically more efficient than another car. Without a car that efficient aerodynamically you cannot win in F1. At least in my book and experience. And there can be some other reasons than aero-efficiency.
I guess that some people mix up aero efficiency with downforce. Of course a top car will generate more drag when you set it up for more downforce. But still the efficiency can be quite good. I assume that Ferrari ran more wing than RB and thus had more drag and was slower on the straights. I also consider both cars about equal in speed, but both got their individual strengths and weaknesses, as mentioned in the quoted article. It's just that RB got away with a bit less DF than Ferrari in Jeddah. In return Ferrari used a bit more DF as they thought a bit less DF would have a negative effect on tyre life. They now saw that this was not the case, so we can expect them to run a tad less wing on the next race, if possible.
Aerodynamics is only for people who can not build good engines, anyway. :evil: (it is the Ferrari thread :mrgreen: )
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.