2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Juzh

Re: 2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Count me in on the understeer theory (fact is more like it come to think of it), as it was very evident in bahrain trough the entire weekend, car just wouldn't turn it as it should. Actually in testing before the update it was silly how much steering lock it required to get any rotation going. I believe at the moment their only way to somewhat balance the car is to remove rear downforce. This makes them slower in almost all types of corners but absurdly fast on straights. Seriously, last time a car had such straight line supremacy was 2019 sf90h. Ok, that one was even more silly, but you get the idea.
Jeddah with it's very long straights played into their strengths as they were able to reduce rear downforce even further, curing understeer problem to a higher degree. Not perfect, but visibly better than in Bahrain.
Question is now where does this leave us for melbourne? On the old track I would flat out put ferrari as big favourites, however this new track I would say sits somewhere in between bahrain and jeddah, so I hope for another competitive weekend. I just hope high speed cornering is not too compromised vs ferrari.

Understeer could be part of over weight problems and inability to carry some ballast at the front, maybe the car is even very rear heavy (is that possible under fixed weight distribution?). If they're able to solve this issue I expect advantages will be compounded as a result. In any case, they will have to put more front grip on the car in one way or another or else they'll be eaten by ferrari on most high downforce tracks.

lh13
lh13

AR3-GP wrote:How could they be struggling for front downforce? Why can't you crank up the front wing?

Normally the issue is not having enough floor performance, and having to back off the front wing to get it balanced.
Cranking up the FW is usually not as simple as running a bigger RW I believe. Changes to FW can potentially change the overall flow of air over the car.

TNTHead

In Jeddah no brake overheating issues. Did anyone see any noticable differences?

dialtone
dialtone

TNTHead wrote:In Jeddah no brake overheating issues. Did anyone see any noticable differences?
In the paddock tech talk the chief engineer of the car, don’t remember his name, but was in the tech talk with Sam Collins, said they changed all the ducting in the brakes to improve cooling.

Juzh

some onboard stuff

verstappen vs leclerc after VSC

perez pole lap

etusch

TNTHead wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 08:13
In Jeddah no brake overheating issues. Did anyone see any noticable differences?
Perez took pole & Verstappen won

:P

Curbstone
Curbstone

TNTHead wrote:
I've read they made significante changes to the cooling system of the brakes for Jeddah. No details were given, so it could just be some bigger duct or different layout of the internals.

Cassius
Cassius

Curbstone wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 08:30
TNTHead wrote:
I've read they made significante changes to the cooling system of the brakes for Jeddah. No details were given, so it could just be some bigger duct or different layout of the internals.
Also no mentioning on the radio of overheating, except during the safety car where GP asked Max to cool the brakes. After two laps of engine braking & keeping speed up, brakes were at right temp.

Cassius
Cassius

One thing I also noticed when rewatching both Perez' and Max's races from their onboards.

Max had some understeer on the mediums, but did not ask for additional front wing clicks for the pit stop.
Perez had a good balance on mediums, and asked for 2 clicks. Then he had traction issues and it looked like oversteer.
Perez was faster than Max on the mediums by around 2-3 tenths. On the hards Max was faster by half a second.

Was this because Perez' setup was geared more towards qualy and Max towards the race? Or was this the experience and talent of Max that he knew better what was needed to make the hards work?

RZS10

Don't pin me on this but i believe i read somewhere that their setups were practically identical

Dee
Dee

Cassius wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 16:08
One thing I also noticed when rewatching both Perez' and Max's races from their onboards.

Max had some understeer on the mediums, but did not ask for additional front wing clicks for the pit stop.
Perez had a good balance on mediums, and asked for 2 clicks. Then he had traction issues and it looked like oversteer.
Perez was faster than Max on the mediums by around 2-3 tenths. On the hards Max was faster by half a second.

Was this because Perez' setup was geared more towards qualy and Max towards the race? Or was this the experience and talent of Max that he knew better what was needed to make the hards work?
I think that Perez at the moment can handle understeer better than Max

He has driven cars that were more understeery in his driving history and is more used to dealing with it

Max hates understeer but I feel that he will get better as the year goes on

As for oversteer, Perez likes that more than understeer

but Max is on another planet when it comes to a car like that

Wouter

Christian Nimmervoll (Formel1.de) held a 20 minute long interview with Helmut Marko last Wednesday in German.
English subtitles are available.
He talks about many topics, including that the RB18 was 10 kg above the minimum weight last weekend; that Newey
still has to make the RB18 10 kg lighter.

The Power of Dreams!

PlatinumZealot

Juzh wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 15:43
some onboard stuff

verstappen vs leclerc after VSC

perez pole lap
Looked like Leclerc was spooked into slowing too much in the last corner! But before that you can see he was struggling a bit in the esses. Perhaps the pressure got to him.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

chrisc90

How on earth did he get away with cutting that pit entry line.

Very nice driving from Max. interesting he's upshifting just on the corner Apex. Wonder if that gets better traction for him.

dialtone
dialtone

chrisc90 wrote:How on earth did he get away with cutting that pit entry line.

Very nice driving from Max. interesting he's upshifting just on the corner Apex. Wonder if that gets better traction for him.
Afaik that’s not how the rule works. You are allowed to cut the pit entry line if you are not going in, it’s cutting it to entry the pits or back on track that isn’t allowed. This is the appendix L of the sporting code.

look how often they cut they cut pit exit line even just in highlights.