2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
1m0bius1
1m0bius1

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Imagine starting development early and being slower than haas.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

1m0bius1 wrote:
03 Apr 2022, 23:01
As I remember, Haas was one of the earliest, if not the earliest to fully focus on the 2022 car.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

_cerber1

RIC says they need more than a second if they want to fight for the podium and he still believes McLaren will do it this year.

proteus

1m0bius1 wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 08:55
Ground Effect wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 08:37
1m0bius1 wrote:
03 Apr 2022, 23:01
As I remember, Haas was one of the earliest, if not the earliest to fully focus on the 2022 car.
Except its downright embarrassing that a team with the budget, team and facilities of mclaren couldn't manage to conjure up something decent. Merc rbr and ferrari all have something decent. Merc less so but that they have alot of performance to unlock. Whereas we just made a --- car with zero potential outside standard upgrades.
And you know that how? Do you have the engineering degree focused on aerospace technology or you are just blowing empty air?

Being critical and sceptical once is fine and normal, but spewing garbage on and on is becoming anoying to say the least. Do us a favour and spare us with your ranting.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

mclaren111

_cerber1 wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 08:59
RIC says they need more than a second if they want to fight for the podium and he still believes McLaren will do it this year.

Don't think that's gonna happen... Too little too late... :( :(

Sadly, Front of Midfield will be a challenge... :cry: :cry:

proteus

mclaren111 wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 09:48
_cerber1 wrote:

A freak result here and there will be the best it could happen. Something like AM last year minus the podium.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

CjC
CjC

What I’m struggling to get my head round is why don’t fans/ members of this forum/ team personnel show the competition some respect. It’s like Haas aren’t allowed to be successful??
Yes Mclaren producing a slowish car realitive to the competition because they didn’t set themselves a high enough target is frustrating but to slag off Haas because their intelligent employees have formed their own sound solution of their own without copying anyone is ludicrous.
Just a fan's point of view

Big Tea

It all depends on why they are slow. If its an easy fix due to one 'item' no problem, back by next week.
I feel the 'problem' ties into the overheating disks. something infront of the axle is disrupting everything designed to take advantage behind it, and it had to be changed due to the break problem.

If they can get around it things should be OK, if not they have a dud.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Emag
Emag

CjC wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 11:13
What I’m struggling to get my head round is why don’t fans/ members of this forum/ team personnel show the competition some respect. It’s like Haas aren’t allowed to be successful??
Yes Mclaren producing a slowish car realitive to the competition because they didn’t set themselves a high enough target is frustrating but to slag off Haas because their intelligent employees have formed their own sound solution of their own without copying anyone is ludicrous.
I don't think people are angry Haas is doing well. People are angry that McLaren didn't do better with more resources available.

Wouter

:) :lol:

The Power of Dreams!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mclaren111 wrote:
03 Apr 2022, 13:26
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ricc ... m/9537420/

Ricciardo:
“Obviously a week ago, it was a bit of a, let’s call it, crisis mode. I think we've quickly got ourselves out of that.

“But it's true we've got to turn the ship around and I think he's at least one of the best guys to do it (Seidl).
So ask me in six months' time and maybe I won't be surprised with where we are.”

Six months is a long time... :( :(
If they need to find a couple seconds, 6 months doesn’t sound like enough time

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

CjC wrote:
Very sensible comment.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 13:09
CjC wrote:
I don't think people are angry Haas is doing well. People are angry that McLaren didn't do better with more resources available.
Does McLaren really have more resources available? According to Steiner himself, the difference in budgets between team is around 10-20 million, which isn’t the deficit that we have been used to in F1… Not only that, Haas has benefit from a 100% focus on the 2022 car, practically bolting a cut floor in the 2021 car and hoping for the best situation last season… While at the same time have had the second highest Wind Tunnel and CFD allocation of any team, which arguably has a larger impact on the car’s performance than the 10-20 million budget difference.

Dallara (who builds the chassis for Haas) isn’t a backyard garage outfit, they have been manufacturing Indycar chasis since 1997 and are the sole manufacturer of the current series, they’ve designed and build the current spec WEC cars… They have a bit of experience… If you add the fact that Haas buys some parts from Ferrari and therefore doesn’t have the cost of development and resources necessary for those parts, it is not entirely surprising to see them doing well.

M840TR
M840TR

mclaren111 wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 09:48
_cerber1 wrote:

It's also chasing a moving target. Say RB/Ferrari gain 0.5 sec and Merc/Renault 0.7 - they're still good part of a second behind depending on the track layout.

Emag
Emag

SmallSoldier wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 15:02
Emag wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 13:09
CjC wrote:
Does McLaren really have more resources available? According to Steiner himself, the difference in budgets between team is around 10-20 million, which isn’t the deficit that we have been used to in F1… Not only that, Haas has benefit from a 100% focus on the 2022 car, practically bolting a cut floor in the 2021 car and hoping for the best situation last season… While at the same time have had the second highest Wind Tunnel and CFD allocation of any team, which arguably has a larger impact on the car’s performance than the 10-20 million budget difference.

Dallara (who builds the chassis for Haas) isn’t a backyard garage outfit, they have been manufacturing Indycar chasis since 1997 and are the sole manufacturer of the current series, they’ve designed and build the current spec WEC cars… They have a bit of experience… If you add the fact that Haas buys some parts from Ferrari and therefore doesn’t have the cost of development and resources necessary for those parts, it is not entirely surprising to see them doing well.
If you invest on a very expensive team principal and technical director, translated into resources, that means McLaren had more available than Haas.

Not to mention the pure number of employees and the better factory infrastructure.

Haas managed to do better only by loaning Simone Resta. And I don't think Haas had that big of an advantage by focusing on 2022 earlier.

These cars have been in the making since 2020. If you remember, these regulations were planned for 2021.

Not a good idea to make excuses either way. If you view it from a pure budget gap as you pointed it out (10-20 mil at most). Then why did Mercedes and RedBull do so much better with less wind tunnel time?

McLaren's benchmark should not be Haas, but rather the top. Yet in both perspectives, they are way off the mark.

I don't think there is any reason that could be passed as an excuse for the lack of performance. They simply didn't do a good enough job. And thankfully, they admitted to that.

Time to put the head down, and work to get back where they should be.