Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Henri
Henri

Re: Ferrari F1-75

https://www.formu1a.uno/quando-ferrari- ... uo-motore/
An engine upgrade is on coming for more power to counter redbull

dialtone
dialtone

Henri wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 15:15
Not quite an engine upgrade. They are saying the engine is still going through reliability testing, and it will finish after the first 5 races. At which point they could introduce the 2nd engine that will fill out the torque curve knowing it's reliable. And in case RedBull, with weight loss, and if Mercedes fixes its problems, they could consider unlocking this potential a bit faster like already in Spain. And lastly that it won't be as significant as when they upgraded the ERS last season.

Drift4794
Drift4794

dialtone wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 15:50
Henri wrote:
Not quite an engine upgrade. They are saying the engine is still going through reliability testing, and it will finish after the first 5 races. At which point they could introduce the 2nd engine that will fill out the torque curve knowing it's reliable. And in case RedBull, with weight loss, and if Mercedes fixes its problems, they could consider unlocking this potential a bit faster like already in Spain. And lastly that it won't be as significant as when they upgraded the ERS last season.
He said that only for the electrical bit which can still be updated till September. The main upgrade/tune up in Barcelona will, in his words, be "significant".

dialtone
dialtone

rafeyahmad wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 16:12
dialtone wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 15:50
Henri wrote:
He said that only for the electrical bit which can still be updated till September. The main upgrade/tune up in Barcelona will, in his words, be "significant".
Fair enough, you are right, I misread the last part of the article.

GrrG

ringo

Vanja #66 wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 08:37
ringo wrote:
03 Apr 2022, 22:31
What this car and the redbull do is create downforce with the sidepods.
when the floor stalls the downforce is still there from the body.
Mercedes doesnt have this luxury so will have more pronounced bouncing.
I've mentioned this already in a few places, top of the floor and sidepod lift/downforce have nothing to do with substitution of downforce lost due to tunnel stall. If anything, Merc has the most downforce on top, even with launch-spec sidepods.

https://i.ibb.co/TrBZgbV/comp1-top.jpg

and RB18:

https://i.ibb.co/gZX18hm/comp2-rb18-top.jpg

Where Mercedes might be lacking is conditioning the flow to strengthen the floor-sealing vortex with wide sidepods and floor front-end design, requiring them to run the car lower and leaving them more susceptible to aero bounce. But that's not a discussion for this topic.
I see your images. I see the Cp on the three different designs. Do you have a force calculation derived from the pressures acting on the surfaces?
Then can you say which is generating more. These drawings are good, but a slight difference in how they are modelled compared to the real thing can lead to very different results.
Appreciate the work, but I am not convinced the Ferrari has less drag. So far as I have deduced, the car has more drag drag than even the redbull.
Please share your 3d models if possible. I would like to investigate to satisfy my curiosity.

Also if your software can work out the resultant force acting on the bodies that would be great.

Not discrediting your work, its very insightful, and it makes sense for the information that you have, but I am not convinced of the conclusion. Especially since the reality is more leaning towards my suspicions about this car, and that is its creating more downforce than the others in the body; hence its characteristics on track.
For Sure!!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Henri wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 08:55
Vanja #66 wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 08:37
ringo wrote:
03 Apr 2022, 22:31
What this car and the redbull do is create downforce with the sidepods.
when the floor stalls the downforce is still there from the body.
Mercedes doesnt have this luxury so will have more pronounced bouncing.
I've mentioned this already in a few places, top of the floor and sidepod lift/downforce have nothing to do with substitution of downforce lost due to tunnel stall. If anything, Merc has the most downforce on top, even with launch-spec sidepods.

https://i.ibb.co/TrBZgbV/comp1-top.jpg

and RB18:

https://i.ibb.co/gZX18hm/comp2-rb18-top.jpg

Where Mercedes might be lacking is conditioning the flow to strengthen the floor-sealing vortex with wide sidepods and floor front-end design, requiring them to run the car lower and leaving them more susceptible to aero bounce. But that's not a discussion for this topic.
Ferraris concept is better on the rear tyres.. Mercedes is a bad concept on the rear tyres it has more drag
Vanja66 is the one who presented the CFD models showing the differences in cp on the rear tires.

ringo

@Vanja,

Also looking on your scale. The positive Cp is suggesting the higher pressures in red. Correct?
Hence the red coloration on the upper side of the wings with high static pressures.

Now if we go by the scale, the Ferrari sidepods have more surface area, exposed to more "yellow" which is more positive pressure than the "green".
The Ferrari sidepods have more surface area normal to the vertical component of the pressure.
The Mercedes sidepods, have more green, meaning less positive pressure. They also have less surface area.

What I do agree with your assessment, is the flow over the Mercedes floor is much better.

This is why I am interested if you can let us know the vertical component of the forces acting on the car, and the component in the horizontal plane, the surface areas and how they are acted on would factor.

The colour gradient is also implying higher static pressures in front of the Ferrari tyres. If we agree with the logic that the wings having the redder colours means red means higher Cp since the higher pressures are experienced on the upper surfaces of the wings.
For Sure!!

Vanja #66

ringo wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 01:33
I see your images. I see the Cp on the three different designs. Do you have a force calculation derived from the pressures acting on the surfaces?
Then can you say which is generating more. These drawings are good, but a slight difference in how they are modelled compared to the real thing can lead to very different results.
I had the forces calculated, I just posted the images for clear visual aid. Didn't want to share any numbers about forces as those could lead the people to wrong conclusions, especially since everything was done way before Bahrain FP1. There can't be large differences on the top, either the floor or sidepods, the geometry and overall concepts don't allow that. You can't make Cp go over +0.2 on these surfaces, and teams wouldn't want that either, would ruin the flow for rear and beam wings.

ringo wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 01:33
Appreciate the work, but I am not convinced the Ferrari has less drag. So far as I have deduced, the car has more drag drag than even the redbull.
Please share your 3d models if possible. I would like to investigate to satisfy my curiosity.
Just as a brief reminder, I never claimed anything about Ferrari v Red Bull drag, only Ferrari v Mercedes. Merc having the most drag was acknowledged by Toto Wolff after Bahrain Q. Red Bull floor (especially front) and beam wing geometry were clearly something else, even during Barca testing, so it was clear you can't draw any reasonable conclusions about the whole car.

Unfortunately, I was given the base model just for these analyses and asked not to share any model(s) further...

ringo wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 06:19
@Vanja,

Also looking on your scale. The positive Cp is suggesting the higher pressures in red. Correct?
Yes. As for the rest of the post, I think you'll be able to find everything that interests you on the thread itself

viewtopic.php?t=30249

I've written a lot about results and conclusions in replies to other comments, so you might want to go through the whole thread. Maybe best to continue any discussion there...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

GrrG

Henri
Henri

New floor and low weight parts planned to reduce the weight and increase top speed

GrrG

Last edited by GrrG on 06 Apr 2022, 15:30, edited 1 time in total.

GrrG

tpe
tpe

I don't know if there are new noses, but at least they have different stickers. :lol:

LM10
LM10

Henri wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 11:35

New floor and low weight parts planned to reduce the weight and increase top speed
First new parts aimed at reducing drag and weight will be introduced at Imola. A new floor aimed at solving porpoising will be brought to Barcelona.