Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: Ferrari F1-75

mzso
mzso

JPBD1990 wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 07:52

The new layout is essentially 50% a straight line. Much to my dismay personally
Why? It's not like the track was a classic. Lot's of boring, uneventful races, and little ability to race each other.

GrrG

GrrG

Ferrari F1-75: five laser sensors to measure heights

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fe ... content=it

Fab55
Fab55

the CEVA logo seems to have been sucked a couple of cm back.

LM10
LM10

S D wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 22:24
LM10 wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 22:11
GrrG wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 20:47
Binotto told that they won’t bring significant upgrades to Melbourne. Any other report suggested that it will be in Imola we’ll see the first upgrades. So it’s confusing Duchessa reports this now. He’s quite reliable as far as I know.

Or maybe they’ll bring the premature parts and test them to be sure. Though, that would be weird, in times of a budged cap.

First upgrades in Imola and an upgraded floor in Spain sounds more realistic. But let’s see.
Testing a front wing and floor does seem reasonable. It does not necessarily mean that they will be using them in Australia. They may be looking ahead and testing it for different types of tracks or to validate assumptions. They may be experimenting to see if the bouncing can be reduced or eliminated.

Since they suggest that they have a stable car for this race and they are not permitted track time elsewhere, it seems that this is a cost effective, efficient, and perhaps the only way to validate the direction that they plan to move towards.
Yeah, I also assume that they might be testing some things for future (maybe not even directly related to the upgrades coming in Imola and Spain).

Was just thinking of the budget cap and how building parts only to test them would not be as easy as in the past. That’s why teams with good correlation will have an advantage because they can be sure that the performance they’re seeing on data will be transferred to on-track too. And Ferrari have good correlation, unlike in past.

Sevach
Sevach

LM10 wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 21:47
S D wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 22:24
LM10 wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 22:11

Binotto told that they won’t bring significant upgrades to Melbourne. Any other report suggested that it will be in Imola we’ll see the first upgrades. So it’s confusing Duchessa reports this now. He’s quite reliable as far as I know.

Or maybe they’ll bring the premature parts and test them to be sure. Though, that would be weird, in times of a budged cap.

First upgrades in Imola and an upgraded floor in Spain sounds more realistic. But let’s see.
Testing a front wing and floor does seem reasonable. It does not necessarily mean that they will be using them in Australia. They may be looking ahead and testing it for different types of tracks or to validate assumptions. They may be experimenting to see if the bouncing can be reduced or eliminated.

Since they suggest that they have a stable car for this race and they are not permitted track time elsewhere, it seems that this is a cost effective, efficient, and perhaps the only way to validate the direction that they plan to move towards.
Yeah, I also assume that they might be testing some things for future (maybe not even directly related to the upgrades coming in Imola and Spain).

Was just thinking of the budget cap and how building parts only to test them would not be as easy as in the past. That’s why teams with good correlation will have an advantage because they can be sure that the performance they’re seeing on data will be transferred to on-track too. And Ferrari have good correlation, unlike in past.
Last season Ferrari showed up at an early GP with an upgraded floor(the ever popular Z floor) only available for one car and removed it for the race.
The next race they had this floor for both cars and it stayed.

This might be a similar case(the first available floor from the batch of updates), but i wonder if they'll race it this time(i was in favor of doing it last year already).
We know Red Bull won't hesitate to run Verstappen and Perez in different spec cars.

Sainz car looked "standard" through the pitlane, let's see Charles...

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

GrrG

Ferrari F1-75 with a novelty to the rear diffuser

Link:https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-te ... content=it

amr
amr

Can't see that well what they did on the diffuser side.
But the Gurney flap on the underside of the RW is quite visible. Usually, that flap is placed on the top side to increase the downforce. I wonder if they placed it on the underside to decrease downforce (and reduce drag) given that they seem to not have a lower downforce RW.

Sevach
Sevach

Vanja #66

amr wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 11:15
Can't see that well what they did on the diffuser side.
But the Gurney flap on the underside of the RW is quite visible. Usually, that flap is placed on the top side to increase the downforce. I wonder if they placed it on the underside to decrease downforce (and reduce drag) given that they seem to not have a lower downforce RW.
Yes, this seems like the only explanation to me as well. I'm not sure it's anything more than a test, this looks very wrong and it messed up the flow a lot. This looks like Bahrain RW, they also have the one from Jeddah which they used first. Maybe they'd prefer something in between, so they experiment like this. This tells you more about confidence level than anything else - spending time and laps to test a completely crazy solution.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

LostInTranslation
LostInTranslation

If only or just they can reduce or fix this (porpoising) problem, well ... it will get interesting.

However, the car is fast, on every track and in every condition.

Nice project.

The promptness and accuracy of the developments remain to be seen.

Nice championship, however.

Much more interesting than those of the last seven years.

LittleBobcat
LittleBobcat

Adjusting a wing with a gurney flap would change the angle and strength of the wing's downwash(everything upside down on racecar aeros so it would be upwash here). so i would assume this time it's decreasing the upwash of the wing, decreasing the downforce.
Normally one would only apply gurney flap on the upside of the wing because the high pressure flow on the upside would be more tolerant to the affects of an air "blocking" device and would keep a stable flow exiting the trailing edge of the wing. If one apply gurney flap on the "wrong" side, if the low pressure flow is barely keeping a stable flow already, it may turn into wake after exiting the wing surface. But it's not inevitable since the low pressure flow could still contain enough energy to keep stable after going through the gurney flap.

Maybe they're just trying a way to adjust downforce from the rear wing without a new wing different from jeddah spec.(from my eyes it's jeddah spec rather than bahrin spec and i think it's clear.)

CRazyLemon
CRazyLemon

LostInTranslation wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 11:55
If only or just they can reduce or fix this (porpoising) problem, well ... it will get interesting.

However, the car is fast, on every track and in every condition.

Nice project.

The promptness and accuracy of the developments remain to be seen.

Nice championship, however.

Much more interesting than those of the last seven years.
2017 and 2018 where also of interest at this stage of the season.