Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Big Tea

Re: Mercedes W13

KeiKo403 wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 10:01
But it’s only Thursday, a day of pit stop practices etc. Is it too much to think that a new rear wing and/or floor could be bolted on first thing tomorrow morning prior to show and tell.
What are the rules for that? can they add it after 'show and tell' or if they do add it, are they then committed to keeping it?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

atanatizante

_cerber1 wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 10:20
KeiKo403 wrote:
But it’s only Thursday, a day of pit stop practices etc. Is it too much to think that a new rear wing and/or floor could be bolted on first thing tomorrow morning prior to show and tell.
Judging by the comments from the paddock, the MB did not have time to prepare their rear wing for Melbourne, and they are waiting for him in Imola.
Rumours are saying they need more time and tests to understand further and gather more data ... not to mention the cost cap that forces them to manage better the situation
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Watto
Watto

Big Tea wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 13:39
KeiKo403 wrote:
What are the rules for that? can they add it after 'show and tell' or if they do add it, are they then committed to keeping it?

I don't think you are commited to running it if you bring it to show and tell. But, I think with the budget caps, you want to be more careful probably want to be more sure than spend money on a new part and fine it doesn't deliver what is planned. .

I think Marko mentioned somewhere with RB, in previous years they would have teams whos sole purpose was to reduce weight reduction on parts. But now with the cap you want the reduction but also another upgrade if possible

PlatinumZealot

I cant find the picture again of their new front wing. Can't remember where I saw it!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

mkay wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 12:41
AR3-GP wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 07:41
I was going to mention it earlier, but I have no idea why Mercedes would be looking for a low downforce wing in Melbourne. It makes no sense. Melbourne is not a low downforce track.
If they want to shed some drag, then they do need a new rear wing.

And Melbourne is going to be miles faster this year than in prior years due to the track layout changes.
Melbourne is still medium downforce and no long straights. I don't see the relevance of a low downforce wing. The drag penalty isn't as high because there's still lots of technical sections.

vorticism

Edit per RZS10; Melbourne wing looks same except for lacking gurney flap. From Señor Albert:

Running a Monza spec rear wing in Aus imo shows that their vertical sidepods produce no lift, maximizing floor downforce.
Last edited by vorticism on 07 Apr 2022, 18:06, edited 1 time in total.
𓄀

mantikos
mantikos

vorticism wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 17:38
This rear wing flap in Melbourne is new. From Señor Albert:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FPuJCB1aQAI ... name=small

Compare to Jeddah:
vorticism wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 00:50
Was it mentioned: the top flap last race had a bulging, convex profile?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FOoG1sSWUAw ... ame=medium

Photo: Fabrega

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com ... f=1&nofb=1
Running a Monza spec rear wing in Aus imo shows that their vertical sidepods produce no lift, maximizing floor downforce.

At this rate they won't need a rear wing in Monza lol

RZS10

The flap is the exact same as they used in Jeddah, the one posted above was a version they only had on the car for FP1.
(see here)

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

vorticism wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 17:38

The main plane is long chord and quite heavily cambered which will be producing a fair whack of downforce (and drag) anyway. So it's not really a "Monza wing" in that regard.

Of course, one thing about their micro-flap design is that it must make the DRS effect much less because they're simply moving a much smaller flap out of the way, and the big main plane is still going to be quite draggy even with DRS open.

It's all sticking-plaster stuff really until they get the floor sorted - assuming they ever do with this car, of course.

The W13 might end up being a a season-long test car.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

GrizzleBoy wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 16:51
PlatinumZealot wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 15:59
I cant find the picture again of their new front wing. Can't remember where I saw it!
Don't be embarrassed, wishful thinking gets to the best of us all sometimes.
Found it!

Is it just the camera angle though?

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

PlatinumZealot wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 18:22
GrizzleBoy wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 16:51
PlatinumZealot wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 15:59
Don't be embarrassed, wishful thinking gets to the best of us all sometimes.
Found it!

Is it just the camera angle though?

https://i1.wp.com/cdn-1.motorsport.com/ ... ns-and.jpg
Same design adjusted differently

mkay
mkay

Merc's rear wing main plane and supports are so chunky compared to other teams.

AA_2019
AA_2019

Yet more suspension talk...

According to Greek motorsport journalist Dimitris Bizas, the Milton Keynes-based team has engineered a new rear suspension that can adapt to conditions after hitting 250 kmph and cuts out the bouncing caused by porpoising.

Last edited by AA_2019 on 07 Apr 2022, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.
One day AI might be able to fix the W13 zero pod concept !

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

AA_2019 wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 19:22
According to Greek motorsport journalist Dimitris Bizas, the Milton Keynes-based team has engineered a new rear suspension that can adapt to conditions after hitting 250 kmph and cuts out the bouncing caused by porpoising.

The w13 isnt made in milton keynes 🤔

pursue_one's

Many teams have intervened with palliative changes to the underbody, removing parts to stop the car swinging,

According to Ferrari, at the expense of a small loss of vertical load. Mercedes also made changes to the underbody in Bahrain, but without major results, so much so that they continued to use the initial specification because we found a better overall solution with the old underbody," added Shovlin. Meanwhile in Brackley they are working on a completely redesigned version that will debut in the next GPs.

The rear wing used in Bahrain, later modified in the moving flap for Saudi Arabia (also to save on budget cap), was designed for the levels of downforce and performance that the wind tunnel and computational fluid dynamics (CFD) showed them on a W13 without the age-old problem of porpoising. With the ground clearance heights used thus far, that rear wing specification was inefficient and ineffective, going to generate too much drag for the load generated by the car. It would have been important to put a lower load rear wing in the car, however, it was not available as it had not yet been manufactured. Mercedes had in fact taken the time to produce a different wing concept, more efficient, which will arrive soon.

In Australia, meanwhile, there are some minor updates on the W13, although not easily visible, to improve efficiency. However, Russell expects a similar performance to Sakhir and Jeddah.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
https://www.corriere.it/sport/formula-1 ... refresh_ce