Ferrari F60

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: Ferrari F60

To my mind anyway, Gascoyne is one of the best designers in F1 over the past decade or so. A thoroughbred engineer with the self-confidence of a T-Rex, I really love the man.

Anyway, I think he sees a chance to make improvements with minimal effort, an opportunistic thing if you wish?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Gascoyne definitely seems to know what he is doing, just perhaps his personality does not gel well with others. I've heard talk of his ego being too strong for his own good, and his employment record certainly seems to suggest that. If I remember correctly he really paved the way for Toyota to do better since he was the one that corrected their engineering practice on their F1 program, and discovered issues with their windtunnel calibration. Listen to he talk about the cars last race too you can tell he is definitely someone who is well versed in his work.

donskar
donskar

RacingManiac wrote:Gascoyne definitely seems to know what he is doing, just perhaps his personality does not gel well with others. I've heard talk of his ego being too strong for his own good, and his employment record certainly seems to suggest that. If I remember correctly he really paved the way for Toyota to do better since he was the one that corrected their engineering practice on their F1 program, and discovered issues with their windtunnel calibration. Listen to he talk about the cars last race too you can tell he is definitely someone who is well versed in his work.
Agree.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

andartop
andartop

[quote] After David Coulthard wrote in his column that Kimi Raikkonen didn't have the proper abilities to help develop a race car, and thus didn't help Ferrari get up to speed, the 2007 World Champion has responded with wittier remarks about his fellow ex-McLaren driver.
"I don't know any driver who designs the cars. I think it's pretty funny to hear comments like those from people who never really achieved anything. It's none of my business, what a guy," Raikkonen told his home country's MTV3 channel. [quote]

:lol:
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

jonathan189
jonathan189

Kimi is such a punk. :lol:

It must hurt to get comments like that though. The truth is, Ferrari surely will change the driver lineup after this year.

nudger
nudger

ISLAMATRON wrote:and i am loving every second of it!
hasnt anyone told you? Mclaren and Ferrari are big chums now ... group hug all round

donskar
donskar

jonathan189 wrote:Kimi is such a punk. :lol:

It must hurt to get comments like that though. The truth is, Ferrari surely will change the driver lineup after this year.
I hope you're right and that it is Alonso replacing Kimi.

BUT, let's give Kimi his due. He has done his own thing, been true to himself, and he has won a WDC fair and square. Coulthard had a fine career, but no WDC, and his last couple of seasons did his rep no good at all -- he often seemed to be no more than a moving chicane, with far too many "incidents."
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

xpensive
xpensive

Had McLaren acted half as professional as Ferrari has over the past decade, asking the rookie sit back for a season to learn and support, rather than challenge the double WDC, Kimi would have been nowhere near that title.
Last edited by xpensive on 25 Apr 2009, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.

noname
noname

andartop wrote:After David Coulthard wrote in his column that Kimi Raikkonen didn't have the proper abilities to help develop a race car, and thus didn't help Ferrari get up to speed, the 2007 World Champion has responded with wittier remarks about his fellow ex-McLaren driver.
"I don't know any driver who designs the cars. I think it's pretty funny to hear comments like those from people who never really achieved anything. It's none of my business, what a guy," Raikkonen told his home country's MTV3 channel.
"(...) Martin Whitmarsh, boss of the McLaren team, also contradicted Coulthard's comments.

"The fact is, he is very sensitive to what makes a car quicker and is very intelligent -- he just doesn't always give it all away," said the Briton, referring to Raikkonen, who raced for the Mercedes-powered team between 2002 and 2006.

"Based on my experience of when he was here he was a very committed development driver. When he spoke those few words they were always very valuable," Whitmarsh added."

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 2036.shtml

nudger
nudger

xpensive wrote:Had McLaren acted half as professional as Ferrari has over the past decade, asking the rookie sit back for a season to learn and support, rather than challenge, the double WDC, Kimi would have been nowhere near that title.
and then they would have had another 50 million quid fine ....remember the trouble they got into after monaco 07, just because of a throw away remark from Lewis (about being the number two)

xpensive
xpensive

Being as professional as Ferrari means keeping a rookie in line, that brat would never have said anything of the kind in Jean Todt's team. Not more than once anyway, if you know what I mean.

ISLAMATRON

xpensive wrote:Had McLaren acted half as professional as Ferrari has over the past decade, asking the rookie sit back for a season to learn and support, rather than challenge the double WDC, Kimi would have been nowhere near that title.
Asking a driver to "hold back" is as unprofessional as you can get in racing, except for maybe parking it in Rascasse.

Hamilton had every right to go after that championship and McLaren had to fulfill their duty to support him.

Ferrari might win championships by holding 1 of their drivers back but McLaren wins them by letting both drivers excel.

But you bias against a "rookie brat" is obvious.

timbo
timbo

ISLAMATRON wrote:Ferrari might win championships by holding 1 of their drivers back but McLaren wins them by letting both drivers excel.
This is kinda picky on Kovalainen)))

ISLAMATRON

timbo wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:Ferrari might win championships by holding 1 of their drivers back but McLaren wins them by letting both drivers excel.
This is kinda picky on Kovalainen)))
I dont see any evidence of them holding him back... the kid is just struggling.

But honestly this is not the place for this discussion and i've been accused of derailing threads so I dont want to move off the thread topic of the Ferrari F60 and its modifications.

Interesting to see Ferrari reinstall the KERS... hopefully they will be able to make it reliable, but in that desert heat cooling might be a major issue for them.

xpensive
xpensive

Sometimes Islam, you wisdoms makes me wonder what you do for a living? Being humble and learn from experience is to my mind never unprofessional, not in any line of work I should imagine.