2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
BMMR61

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Yep the usual overreaction here to results whether bad or good. Both cars in the top 10 is progress without significant updates regardless of circuit characteristics. The car looks to be competing for 3rd fastest here and Fridays are typically not the team’s fortè. Keep the faith guys, when we return to Europe with significant updates there’s the chance of quantum gains. It is concerning that Mercedes PUs seem to be struggling a bit though.

mclaren111

djos wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 03:01
Big Tea wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 23:29
Well I for one have to say I am very glad about that. I like Mclaren
Same! Im very glad Mclaren isn't going to be taken over by the VAG group.

Amen Brother... :D :D

McLaren BMW works deals would be wonderful...

mclaren111

Darth-Piekus wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 00:10
I would love to see the McLaren-BMW combination. I remember Williams BMW being a powerhouse during 2000 to 2004 with BMW being the strongest engine on high speed circuits.

Amen to that... :D :D

djos

mclaren111 wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 12:20
djos wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 03:01
Big Tea wrote:
Same! Im very glad Mclaren isn't going to be taken over by the VAG group.

Amen Brother... :D :D

McLaren BMW works deals would be wonderful...
Not wrong my friend, it’s a long shot to get BMW involved, but it would be epic!
"In downforce we trust"

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

BMW have stated in recent past that they have zero interest in an F1 return, but you wonder if that could change, with the current boon in F1 on the marketing side. The tie up could very well be limited to Automotive, but you never know.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Big Tea

Lucky wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 05:10
Big Tea wrote:
Then don't demand victory. The fight for 5th place in the Constructors' Cup is the maximum since 2026.
Performance is not related to the name.
Besides, show me VW group F1 victories. Or any involvement except messing up the engine choice.

(and they have $ 210Bn debt in USA alone)
Last edited by Big Tea on 08 Apr 2022, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

djos

Considering F1 no longer a race to commit financial suicide, BMW may reconsider.
"In downforce we trust"

mwillems

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 09:14
M840TR wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 08:11
Nearly a second made in the 2-3 low speed corners, alarming. It seems like no matter what they do, the regulation or years that go by, they’re unable to solve the low speed and front end issues.
This exactly. We still have a hideous deficit there. Car just doesn’t want to turn in. The apex speed is woeful. Sure, high speed the car works but it’s comparatively dog-like in slow speed
How much of that is the current brake solution? Does it affect the current corner profile drivers are able to make or do they need to work around it to get into the corner?
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

genarro
genarro

djos wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 12:49
Considering F1 no longer a race to commit financial suicide, BMW may reconsider.
BMW currently dont have any standout supercar/marketing projects. The R8 is an aging forgoten sportscar and the M cars have gotten progressivelly uglier and unattractive. Dont get me wrong they are still fantastic cars and probably are selling well but BMW needs a strong brand like McLaren and a joint supercar/F1 project would be just the thing brand like BMW needs.

Big Tea

genarro wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 13:12
djos wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 12:49
BMW currently dont have any standout supercar/marketing projects. The R8 is an aging forgoten sportscar and the M cars have gotten progressivelly uglier and unattractive. Dont get me wrong they are still fantastic cars and probably are selling well but BMW needs a strong brand like McLaren and a joint supercar/F1 project would be just the thing brand like BMW needs.
As there is a cost cap, could it be Merc can themselves back Mclaren with another brand with the spare money? (I don't see Smart F1 though)

mwillems

Big Tea wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 12:48
Lucky wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 05:10
Big Tea wrote:
Then don't demand victory. The fight for 5th place in the Constructors' Cup is the maximum since 2026.
Performance is not related to the name.
Besides, show me VW group F1 victories. Or any involvement except messing up the engine choice.

(and they have $ 210Bn debt in USA alone)
Depends on whether the FIA discovers the defeat device... !
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Macklaren
Macklaren

Excited to see FP1 and FP2 results and team sounding happy
Disappointed to see the reaction on here
Disappointed to see news of of Audi-McL falling apart
Happy Friday to me!

Xero

Macklaren wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 14:00
It's the usual glory-hunting plastic fans. Still plenty of level headed folk on here though.

Decent Friday! The car doesn't seem as bad as was initially feared. It's going to be a steep development race, so who knows how the order will evolve through the season.

Big Tea

Xero wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 15:12
Macklaren wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 14:00
It's the usual glory-hunting plastic fans. Still plenty of level headed folk on here though.

Decent Friday! The car doesn't seem as bad as was initially feared. It's going to be a steep development race, so who knows how the order will evolve through the season.
I like to consider myself level headed (others may not I know) and am more than happy Mclaren is not either going to be lost in a corporate advertising venture then soon sold to someone like rich energy, or, more likely by past experience, messed around for a few months while sponsors made alternative arrangements, then be told they have decided not to go with F1 after all. It would leave Mclaren deep in it, or no longer in existance. Either way, better to keep control of the name and finces

bauc

I'm glad the team is strating to understand the car more, and like we've said many times before, a good set up of the car can give you 1 second in performance and vise versa. I'm expecting both cars to fight for points on Sunday and I'm also expecting to see the first real updates on the car at the next race were I hope a final solution to the brake issue will be shown/implemented.

From what I can see so far, what the team told us is more or less true. The car is not fundamentally wrong, its just not fast enough, meaning it has a lot of sharp edges that need to be smoothen out.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg