2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Juzh

Re: 2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

dialtone wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 18:09
https://i.postimg.cc/hKsCQd03/test.png

This is FP2 fastest laps between Checo and Max. Seems like aero wise they are just about the same. And it looks to me Perez is struggling in the mid-fast corners, especially T9-10 he's less confident than Max braking more and lifting for longer. However Checo is decidedly better in T15-16. Not sure if the difference is due to some balance changes between the 2 drivers, or the tyres 3 laps younger, or if it's just extra time in pocket for Max.
Verstappen had a car in front in sector 3 that definitely had a negative impact on his final few corners. Understeer was getting worse and worse and then had a snap on entry in final left hander. Loads of laptime left on the table there, around 3.5 tenths i'd say.

organic

Long run pace looks good

elMaestro
elMaestro

Quite close to the Ferraris on the long runs, considering they were going through the 3rd sector like boats compared to them.

dialtone
dialtone

elMaestro wrote:Quite close to the Ferraris on the long runs, considering they were going through the 3rd sector like boats compared to them.
It’s a compromise for both, fast in straights or in corners…

organic

Max having a lot of trouble with the car in FP3 so far. Span in S3 on mediums then on his first soft run he had understeer, and on his 2nd had a snap of oversteer. Looks like his 1 lap will be compromised if they can't find any fixes

1m0bius1
1m0bius1

So Ric gets a penalty but Max gets away with it ? Lol what a joke. He clearly affected Lewis' Lap.

chrisc90

1m0bius1 wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 09:37
So Ric gets a penalty but Max gets away with it ? Lol what a joke. He clearly affected Lewis' Lap.
Max was off the racing line. He moved about a wheel width left at most.

Juzh

Was there any mention of Max and Perez running different setups? Because Perez was clearly faster on every straight by 2-3 kmh consistently and verstappen was faster in all fast corners. Anyway, leclerc was out of reach today and I fear tomorrow will be the same story. By removing second DRS zone on back straight they effectively robbed RB of around a tenth or even more , that's how much they were gaining there yesterday (ferrari loses less when not DRS-ed). I don't believe a pass for the lead on track will be possible with lack of DRS there now.

elMaestro
elMaestro

Juzh wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 09:46
Was there any mention of Max and Perez running different setups? Because Perez was clearly faster on every straight by 2-3 kmh consistently and verstappen was faster in all fast corners. Anyway, leclerc was out of reach today and I fear tomorrow will be the same story. By removing second DRS zone on back straight they effectively robbed RB of around a tenth or even more , that's how much they were gaining there yesterday (ferrari loses less when not DRS-ed). I don't believe a pass for the lead on track will be possible with lack of DRS there now.
They removed drs from the one place overtaking was actually possible lol

gandharva

Max was complaining about inconsistency between tyre sets...
On the old layout Ferrari would have stomped RBR today. They need more downforce, but cannot simply slap bigger wings on the car due to engine weakness.

Gillian
Gillian

I think it's been discussed already that it's not about PU performance, but about balance. RB can't add more downforce at this moment because the balance will be off inducing too much understeer. That's how I understand it anyway.

I think Verstappen is trying to work around it by using more throttle steer but he complained about not being able to feel the balance at all.

Gillian
Gillian

Juzh wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 09:46
As far as I know they used the same setups but commentators talked about Perez having a new part which Verstappen didn't. I tried to confirm but haven't been able to so could be BS.

TNTHead

Weight decrease is not visible in the relative performance, so I count that still as a rumour.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

TNTHead wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 13:02
Weight decrease is not visible in the relative performance, so I count that still as a rumour.
That was rumored for Imola, not Melbourne.

gandharva

AR3-GP wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 14:50
TNTHead wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 13:02
That was rumored for Imola, not Melbourne.
No, it's planned for Imola.
One dutch journalist claimed they already lost 7 kg of the planned 10 kg for Melbourne already. That most likely was BS.