2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Xero

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

SmallSoldier wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 17:52
Macklaren wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 16:43
Yeah that is a dumb, sensationalist headline. Even if 20%, the tiny updates making a clear impact is fantastic to see. I reckon the car is at a Bahrain test Day 2 level of development/understanding (or what should have been). P4 in quali is a great outcome with such an undeveloped car. Bodes very well for the Spain B.Spec
Spain B-Spec? First time I heard of one… Any sources?
There won't be any b-spec cars anymore with the annual budget and development time caps in place. A b-spec would likely eat those up completely, leaving no room to develop it. If you get it wrong you're stuck with two designs going nowhere, it's too risky!

Xero

1m0bius1 wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 22:29
CjC wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 12:51
Marc.W wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 09:42
This thread sure does turn around quickly 🤣
Those dogsh1t car comments haven’t aged well🤣
I suppose you are happy with being 1 second slower than the leaders. Mediocrity at its finest.
Clearly not as happy as you are being objectionable. Prejudice at it's finest.

Big Tea

wowgr8 wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 22:51

The car is being held back by the PU. I reckon the McLaren should be around half a second from the front, which is closer than last year

Any of you know what's wrong with the Mercedes engine? I refuse to believe they've lost this much power relative to the rest. There seem to be issues forcing conservative maps
There is more than one reason for being down on speed and acceleration. It may be the engine, but could be several things.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

wowgr8
wowgr8

Mercedes engined cars have been slow on the straights this season, I think we'd be playing dumb if we pretended it had nothing to do with the PU. Even if we assumed it was just drag, 3 tenths slower on one straight? And the Ferrari is far from the slipperiest car out there

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Xero wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 17:52
Macklaren wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 16:43
Yeah that is a dumb, sensationalist headline. Even if 20%, the tiny updates making a clear impact is fantastic to see. I reckon the car is at a Bahrain test Day 2 level of development/understanding (or what should have been). P4 in quali is a great outcome with such an undeveloped car. Bodes very well for the Spain B.Spec
Spain B-Spec? First time I heard of one… Any sources?
There won't be any b-spec cars anymore with the annual budget and development time caps in place. A b-spec would likely eat those up completely, leaving no room to develop it. If you get it wrong you're stuck with two designs going nowhere, it's too risky!
Fully agree and that was also my understanding, that’s why I was surprised with the statement… Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Not the best start, but both are made it unscathed in T1… The Mercedes had quiet the start… Good thing is Carlos out of it, therefore one less car that could have been a pray… Let’s see how the race pace is, too early to tell

Xero

Tough start from Lando, got eaten up the Mercs who were rapid off the line. P6&7 is a realistic target, stay there and see how it plays out ahead.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Xero wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 07:10
Tough start from Lando, got eaten up the Mercs who were rapid off the line. P6&7 is a realistic target, stay there and see how it plays out ahead.
Not ideal obviously… Now the name of the game is tire degradation, how good the MCL36 handles it compared to Mercedes may be the difference between getting a couple of positions or not… Hamilton in front of Perez is good, since Race Pace is comparable and won’t let Perez run away

Xero

We look quicker than Merc, racing them for sure.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

What do you do if you are McLarejn?

Daniel clearly racing Lando but probably damaging his tires… Is is it better to create a gap and save them?

Almost 5 seconds to Ocon from RIC… What a conundrum

I get it, it is Daniel’s GP… But is it worth ti making them race each other at this stage?

Xero

SmallSoldier wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 07:30

Daniel clearly racing Lando but probably damaging his tires… Is is it better to create a gap and save them?

I get it, it is Daniel’s GP… But is it worth ti making them race each other at this stage?
See how pitstops shake out, then adjust. Merc have suddenly taken off, they were protecting tyres.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Xero wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 07:32
SmallSoldier wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 07:30

See how pitstops shake out, then adjust. Merc have suddenly taken off, they were protecting tyres.
With the pace difference I would agree… I’m just concerned that Daniel is burning rubber unnnecessarily

Xero

Great first stops again. Pit crew smashing it this season!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Xero wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 07:37
Great first stops again. Pit crew smashing it this season!
Yes they are… Checking lap times… They won’t get RUS it seems… Safety car saved Russell! He was in McLaren’s sight!

Xero

Safety car stopped the undercut on Russell. On the other hand, has that taken Alonso out the picture? Was worried about him later on.